What's new

The Avengers (2012) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong, I was also like "WTF?" when Hulk loses it, but seems to be in control in the 3rd act too. But supposedly, it's all due to the Loki effect, where an agitated Hulk is a mindless Hulk. Not the best no-prize explanation, but Whedon goes to a lot of trouble zooming in on the scepter while everyone is arguing, even flipping the camera around to demonstrate the scepter's influence.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well, i thought the whole middle section in the flying carrier was pretty random. The old bad guy gets himself captured so he can get himself rescued bit. It's up there with "No monologuing!" :)
But I compare it to Transformers 3 and remind myself how much worse it could have been. It was fun even when the action stopped, and didn't go on longer than it really needed to.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I took The Hulk as a creature that attacks anything attempting to attack or restrain him. If Banner loses control and unwillingly lets the creature out, The Hulk will go on a rampage and be a bit more indiscriminate. So the first scene with Black Widow, she is trying to get Banner to come with her without seeming like an attacker and setting him off. Banner has kept The Hulk under wraps for several years because he has never voluntarily needed him and would prefer to negotiate. In the third act Banner states he is always angry and willingly allows The Hulk to come out, seeming to have some control and considering Loki and his army are doing all the attacking, it seems pretty safe to assume The Hulk will be going after them and not The Avengers. Banner didn't need to have complete control of The Hulk to smash the right things, he simply had to be angry at the right targets.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So I don't know anything about The Avengers, beyond this movie and IronMan. To comics fans, are they of the similar fame and significance as the big names I know like, Superman, Batman, X-Men?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Loki is a trickster and a manipulator.
His plan wasn't to get caputred just to get rescued. His plan was to get in close enough proximity to Banner to influence him, getting him to change into the Hulk, which would reek Havock with the power base of his adversaries. His plan worked pretty well.
We learned that from Black Widow's discussion with Loki in the holding cell where she played him into giving that up.
We'd been shown that Loki can basically "own" someone by touching their chest with his staff. Here, he was going for an more subtle influence, but influence none the less.
Just before Banner changed, all of the "team" was getting pretty agitated with each other. And S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secret super weapons manufacturing plan came to light, which he also didn't like. Plus, that whole deal with him holding Loki's staff and not even being aware of it as they were arguing made it pretty clear that he was being influence by Loki.
So while basically being in the middle of an argument with the other Heros and being influenced by Loki (jacked up aggression and mistrust) they are also physically attacked.
-Loki sparks argument and mistrust amongst the whole team.
-Loki specifically influences Banner (staff scene) to amplify his angst and mistrust.
-Then his men physically attack. The purpose of the attack was two fold: Push Banner over the edge into a change, and rescue Loki.
The combination of all that lead to Banner losing control and turning, and the agitation towards the others (S.H.I.E.L.D. in particular) directed the Hulk's actions as they played out.
On the streets of New York, Banner chose to turn into the Hulk of his own free will. He was past the "Loki-jacked-up agitation" towards the other team members. And before he changed he had a clear purpose in his mind of what he wanted to do: fight the invading alien army.
I agree that it could have been spelled out a little clearer, but it's still all there and does make sense.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just saw on AOTS that there might be a director's cut of The Avengers released theatrically in August. It's literally Joss Whedon's 3-hour cut with 35 minutes of new footage/material.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Whedonesque says it's BS, an idea that someone proposed on ComicBookMovie.com that became a rumor with a life of its own. Joss has said in several interviews that the theatrical cut is his director's cut.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Whedonesque says it's BS, an idea that someone proposed on ComicBookMovie.com that became a rumor with a life of its own. Joss has said in several interviews that the theatrical cut is his director's cut.
The terms "director's cut" and "extended cut" are used so interchangably that I still think it could be true. And when it comes to the amount of money that Marvel could make from a return engagement to theaters, I don't think they'll care if Whedon doesn't like it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
The terms "director's cut" and "extended cut" are used so interchangably that I still think it could be true. And when it comes to the amount of money that Marvel could make from a return engagement to theaters, I don't think they'll care if Whedon doesn't like it.
You're absolutely right that Disney could decide to release a version as Patrick has described to get over the $600 million hump theatrically and provide a boost for Blu-Ray. It just won't be Joss Whedon's director's cut. We've already seen that.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
If they did it, they'd pick up a hundred million domestic, easily. We know the material exists, it seems like a no-brainer, but if the marketing and theaters aren't already in place, it's not going to happen for August.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
They should take a 35-minute version of that little post-credits scene and plop it right at the end of the movie proper. The longer it runs, the funnier it gets. It would be hailed as avante garde superhero filmmaking.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/05/15/avengers-joss-whedon-talks-sequel-buffy-and-x-men-parallels/
This is over a month old, but it sounds as though Whedon's first love is the crew of Serenity....possible revival?
Anyway, I have been a fan(huge fan) of Joss Whedon since the early seasons of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I loved the show but the episodes that made me think "wow, I had no Idea tv could be this great" always had his name in the writing credits. I think he is gifted, and I will be disappointed if he isn't attatched to The Avengers sequel.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TonyD said:
iPhone app called runpee comes in handy if I need to know about a scene after or during the credits.
I finally got around to checking out this oddly named app. Turns out the name isn't so odd since its primary purpose is to let you know when there's a good time to run and ...ah... pee during the movie. There's an app for that. :)

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Greg_D_R said:
If they did it, they'd pick up a hundred million domestic, easily. We know the material exists, it seems like a no-brainer, but if the marketing and theaters aren't already in place, it's not going to happen for August.
Most theaters can now accommodate an expanded version of The Avengers/Avengers Assemble on the fly due to the new digital projection systems, as already happened with the Justin Bieber movie and the special edition of Avatar that came out a few months before the DVD. They would only be able to get this done in September, but it could still be done, if they wanted to.
Chris Will said:
I would welcome with open arms more Firefly/Serenity movies.
So would I, but the movie didn't make any money, and that would be the issue brought up if a sequel to Serenity ever happened.
Adam Lenhardt said:
Went for my second time this afternoon. Theater was still half-full. The movie holds up.
And I stayed for the shawarma scene.
Went for my fourth time last week, also stayed for the shawarma scene. Want to get the T-shirt that says, 'Shawarma', but with a capital 'A' in the style of the Avengers movie font.
BTW, did anybody attend the midnight premiere screenings of this movie?

Kevin Lamb

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Lamb
Someone posted on another site that they've seen the blu-ray and that Coulson's death has been censored so that you don't see the bloody blade protruding from his chest. Can anyone confirm whether or not that's true?
iVpqTii4goYHA.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks