What's new

Avengers (movie) Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

ShawnC

Agent
I know I'm opening up myself for staunch criticism here. However, if you, like me, are an Avengers fan and would like to see a release of a director's cut of the chopped up and gutted film from 1998 go and sign this petition:

http://pub21.bravenet.com/guestbook/1740824563

I for one enjoyed the movie even though plot holes were numerous. I just liked the chemistry of the actors and thought they did a good job re-enacting the Steed-Peel team's characteristicsfrom the cult '60's series. I hope a director's cut could possibly make the movie a little more liked, and I'm just curious to see what's missing! Please, don't tell me plot....:)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, I saw from the time I saw it in the theaters that the film had been cut to hell. While a director's cut probably wouldn't make the movie that much better, maybe it would make a little more sense.

Jason

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like The Avengers TV show a lot, but never did see the movie because I heard how terrible it was. But I'd support a director's cut of this movie, which I would hope would bring back some of that old Avengers flair.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
What's missing are 90% of the effects work (and thus most of the budget) and a fair bit of plot exposition. I've read the script, and although I doubt there would be much improvement in a director's cut, I'd like to see the film recut from scratch by a competent editor.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The LAST thing I would want is a LONGER version of that awful movie. Chemistry? Thurman and Fiennes are lucky to have ever worked again. I am also a huge fan of THE AVENGERS but that was just torture.

I picked up the novelization released at the same time as the movie, and the full story is there.

Shuddering at the thought:angry:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see the full version, but only out of macabre fascination. For a long time I used the DVD as my demo/calibration disc because all you can do is concentrate on the sound and picture - there is nothing to distract you in the way of plot, dialogue or acting.

I was one of the very few people who saw this train wreck at the cinema. The film opened in the UK about a week or so after the States was inflicted with it and word had already spread about how awful it was. Now I was prepared to give it a go (heck, I can even find a good word or two for Pluto Nash). I swear this is no exaggeration - when the film started there were about 30 of us in the theatre; by the end, there were five of us left. I know there were five of us left because it was me and four friends. Comparing notes outside, we found that all of us had wanted to leave but feeling the bounds of friendship we felt we should stick it out because the others appeared to be enjoying it so much. This is what the great British reserve can lead you into doing.

Okay, thread crap over; yes, I really would like to see the director's cut if only to see if it actually made sense of the plot. I know the Avengers always had rather silly plots, but the movie as it stands takes the biscuit.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
My best buddy and I were the only ones in the theater the day after it opened. We didn't pay for our tickets...the paper I was working at had freebies. So we went.

Wasted time, IMHO.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
The only good result that came out of the movie is that it piqued my interest in finding copies of the original series. I didn't hate it when I saw it in theatres, but after watching episodes of the series, watching it again a couple months later was an awful experience.

I'd probably rent it, if only because as Jason Birzer says, the movie was obviously hacked to shreds. I remember reading The Gross by Variety's Peter Bart, which details the highs and lows of that summer's box office (I highly recommend it). Jeremiah Chechik, the film's director, had nothing but gripes for the suits over at WB because of their mishandling of the film. I'll try to find a copy and see what his exact words were.

Travis W.

Second Unit
I'd be surprised if Warner ever revisits anything that is in the bargain bin right now. I've seen Avengers for $5.88 many times so I think Warner is trying to get rid of it or forget it.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I've always wanted a director's cut of the film.

I mean, there is a scene where Peel and Steed are ina snowstorm, and they get into a phone booth, and they realise it's an entry into the enemy base. Peel just seems to know that all you do is pick up thae phone and say "How Now Brown Cow".

But where did that come from?

Now, the trailer starts with a completely different scene - a phone rings, Peel drives up, picks up the phone, and says "How Now Brown Cow".

That scene in the trailer suggests that there was actually an explanation at some point in the filmmaking process for how she knew about that code, but that it was cut from the film.

Add to that all the general awfulness of the editing, and it would really be interesting to see what the film was originally like. It couldn't be worse.

But I'm not going to sign the petition, (a) because internet petitions are worse than useless, (b) because even if they weren't, not enough people would sign it to make it appear worth the studio's while, and (c) because, as has been said, the studios will never bother to do one when the original cut barely sells, even as a bargain bin title.

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this film in the theater and loved it. Sure- plot holes- chopped up, etc. But it was as fun as any other popcorn film I've ever seen. Love the car chase with mechanical wasps and the action sequence with the care bear suits is a riot. Uma looks hot. Fiennes is cool. And Connery is a loon.
I have the DVD and have watched it several times. I showed it to my girlfriend just the other week and she fell asleep. What is it that's so bad about this film that people write it off?
I should add- I also enjoyed waterworld and Last Action Hero. None of these films are classics in the classic sense- just stupid fun. I don't consider them a waste of time.
To each his own.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Unfortunately, it seems the bad reception the '98 film received has doomed chances of future Avengers projects, which is a shame because it's a great show and a great property.

Lets face it, even a great directors cut of the movie is not going to sell enough copies to revive any interest in the Avengers on the studio level.

We have the TV DVDs, which despite the bulky packaging from A&E, are pretty darned good.

James Reader

Screenwriter
The full script does fill in a lot of the so-called plot holes.

It explains why although Emma is a suspect, they don't actually think she was the intruder (which explains why they partner her with Steed, something that seems totally stupid in the actual film)

It also explains a lot about the password and the facility, and Emma's background.

It also explains who Steed knows which Emma is which from the kiss.

There were a few other "holes" plugged by the proper script, but I can't remember them all at the moment. I'm sure a website somewhere will list them all.

(I actually saw the movie after reading the script book, so I guess the movie seemed better to me, I didn't really notice a lot of the plot holes when viewing).

paul_austin

Second Unit
I love the Avengers movie...I really never liked the show (lol...i know) Thurman and Fiennes were perfectly cast in my opinion....Ralph Fiennes was just great beyond words in the role IMHO. If they can constantly recut and resell the turd Highlander 2....there must be a way to get out a directors cut of The Avengers

JulianK

Supporting Actor
There used to be a terrific web page that outlined the original plot of the film, and showed photographic evidence of the deleted scenes, culled from various sources (the trailer, set photo's, etc).

Sadly, it seems to be long-gone.

Here's an archived link, without many the photo's!

Avengersland

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Sean Connery in a teddy bear suit. Nuff said.

I liked the first 5 or 10 mins of the film when it was just Steed. Fiennes was cool. Uma seemed way too psychotic and not sexy enough to be Emma Peel. A far cry from Diana Rigg. They'e have been better off putting Andrea Parker (of The Pretender fame) in the role.

Would be interesting to see if a director's cut could improve on that trainwreck at all.

I've passed it up in the 5.88 bin. That says a lot. I mighe even buy Van Helsing for that. Then again...

Britton

Screenwriter
I just thought the chemistry between Fiennes and Thurman wasn't even remotely close to the magic that Macnee and Rigg had, and if the interplay between Steed and Peel doesn't work, then it's not the Avengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks