What's new

Avatar Press Event Coverage: Avatar will street on Earth Day April 22nd (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
As I watch Cameron talk in these interview I get the impression that he does not consider it some onerous duty to talk about his movies and the technology he uses. He impresses me as, and I mean this in a positive light, a geek. I've gotten that same feeling about Peter Jackson, that he enjoys talking about his movies and how they're made.
I have talked to him twice. Once when I walked up to him at a non-press event, and at the Avatar press event where I was in the last group of the day. Based on those two interactions I totally agree with you.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Omar-
I got delayed but have some additional clips to post late today. Nothing earth shattering, but James and Jon introducing and discussing some clips that they showed with accompanying stories.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Don't tell me wife but I forgot my kids preschool concert was tonight. Will still try to get them up tonight, worst case tomorrow.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sorry to disappoint Omar, but I didn't get to the clips. I got some footage from Fox and figured it would be better than my "handycam" work, but I don't think its that much better and the audio is worse. Needless to say I'm still playing with it, but will be out of town the next two days. Here are to other clips I pulled from the copy I got from Fox:

lol, No worries Adam. It's all great stuff, it seems the transfer is gonna be truly reference quality. How many other directors go back to DI for the home movie release of their film? Fascinating. I am really looking forward to see how the Blu-ray is gonna turn out.

Thanks again!

media-junkie

Agent
Real Name
Johnson Manes
While this is a great movie, I think that the studio chose poorly by attempting to release this on Earth Day. Does the studio plan on donating a portion of the proceeds to the Earth Day organization to help bring about awareness over protecting the environment? It's evident that the studio is trying to cash in on Earth Day and making allusions that the movie helps promote Earth Day.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by media-junkie

While this is a great movie, I think that the studio chose poorly by attempting to release this on Earth Day. Does the studio plan on donating a portion of the proceeds to the Earth Day organization to help bring about awareness over protecting the environment? It's evident that the studio is trying to cash in on Earth Day and making allusions that the movie helps promote Earth Day.
Kemcha, TCFHE is planting 1 million trees.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by media-junkie

Have you read the press release in the first post of this thread? TCF is partnering with Earth Day Network to plant a million trees around the world. In addition, they're encouraging people to adopt a tree by joining the Avatar Program and becoming more active in global environmental conservation efforts.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
With Cameron's mention of supervising how the film will look on a variety of TVs in order to optimize the experience, it goes to show that he genuinely cares about providing the best possible presentation for both formats, and no amount of aspect ratio/Cameron is wrong nonsense will change that.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Correct me if I've overlooked something, but I don't think anyone has claimed that Cameron doesn't care. I think he's misguided in some of the choices he's made, but has anyone accused him of not caring about Avatar's presentation?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
any idea on when we will start seeing some reviews of the bluray/dvd for avatar?

Jacob

Most Blu-ray review sites get theirs up a week before street date, so I would start looking for the reviews next week.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Unlike other studios, Fox doesn't ship out review product until street date (or the day before so it arrives on street date). Since this is a Thursday release its possible Fox will release it earlier in the week, but I doubt it. I don't think many people are going to wait for the reviews to determine if they are going to buy it or not. They already know.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'd hope that when it comes to reviews of DVD and Blu-ray releases, it's not so much the "is the movie any good" aspect of the review that's the deciding factor but rather the A/V quality. By the time current movies come out there's usually enough information about them floating around that one has a good idea of what the film itself is, and that would determine whether or not the review is even read at all.

We know how much work went in to this release's A/V presentation so in this case it may indeed be a given that people have made their minds up, but this will likely be an exception to that. Otherwise there wouldn't be so much talk about how releases like Gladiator and Lord of The Rings look and sound ahead of time.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I just confirmed that Fox will NOT be shipping review copies until release date. This means we won't have our review posted until Thursday or Friday depending on the day they ship. I saw some scenes on the Blu-ray and they looked fantastic. As involved as James Cameron and John Landau were in the BD I'm sure the parts I didn't see will look just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks