What's new

AVATAR Blu-ray Looks Amazing (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Load time from closed tray to main menu on the BDP-S360 is approx 1 min 40 sec.

That still better than my last player which was the BDP-S300, that thing took forever to do anything.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. So it's really not too surprising that the BD-10 would take as long as it does. Keep in mind it's a 1.0 machine (and the last firmware upgrade came in August 2008).

I'll throw a stop-watch on it sometime soon to get a more accurate representation. I was just going by a digital clock nearby...so my estimates are rough. But I doubt they are too far off.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I skipped the chat since I haven't seen the movie yet -- should I read the transcript, or were there a lot of spoilers?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by FreyTheater

Anyone think about saving a full transcript of the chat, by chance?? I forgot to get on the chat, can't believe how stupid I am....
HERE'S the full transcript.

Aaron: I can't answer your question because I only made it for part of the chat myself last night and have yet to go through the entire transcript.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!

Load time from closed tray to main menu on the BDP-S360 is approx 1 min 40 sec.

That still better than my last player which was the BDP-S300, that thing took forever to do anything.
I got my BDP-S360 this past Christmas, and I haven't updated the firmware to 007 (hey - Bond!) It's running the out-of-the-box firmware number 006 and I'd guess roughly the same length of time loading. No playback issues whatsoever.

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Amish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Real Name
Troy Frey
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

I skipped the chat since I haven't seen the movie yet -- should I read the transcript, or were there a lot of spoilers?
I just read the entire transcript - I didn't notice any spoilers, I think you're pretty safe in reading it - They didn't really discuss the movie plot itself, it was mostly about making the movie and behind the scenes stuff, the extended version discs, and sequels and such...

On my PS3 slim with the latest firmware it loaded from disc insert to movie start in 1:05
and I agree I love the resume from last playback feature, it should be standard for ALL BR's IMO.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay. I got the stopwatch out tonight. I guess I'll never be able to put the disc "in for the first time" again because of the cool bookmark feature. But the results are pretty similar to last night. Come to think of it, I'm a bit surprised the bookmark feature works on a generation 1.0 player.

Close drawer of Panasonic BD-10 --

Start TimeEnd TimeOn-screen0:000:30Player's Blu-ray Logo0:302:00Black - Player's "Now Reading" message2:002:35Black2:352:45The "This disc may not play..." message2:454:00Black - Player's "Now Reading" message4:00 "Resume Playback?" Menu
So it took an even four minutes before the disc would play. I'm just glad it does!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ">[/url]

Okay. I got the stopwatch out tonight. I guess I'll never be able to put the disc "in for the first time" again because of the cool bookmark feature. But the results are pretty similar to last night. Come to think of it, I'm a bit surprised the bookmark feature works on a generation 1.0 player.

Close drawer of Panasonic BD-10 --

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

So it took an even four minutes before the disc would play. I'm just glad it does!
As a fellow 1.0 Profile owner, I'd say that it took about 3 minutes to load on my player. And like you, I'm just glad it plays. When I'm going to spend the next 160 minutes watching a movie, I don't really mind waiting an extra 3 minutes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I hear ya, Mike regarding internet connectivity, my player can do that but I don't really have the desire for it.

In fact everything that you can do with BD Live intimidates the hell out of me more than anything else.

Just as long as I can play the freakin' movie I'm happy lol.

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy Frey
I think the BD live for this disk is really gonna be unnecessary, since you can go to the avatarmovie.com website, enter your access code included with the initial release disc, and get access to most of that from a computer rather than through the player... I believe it was also stated somewhere that most of the extras that will be included on the full-feature release in December will gradually be rolled out on that site as they becomes available, for all us first-release purchasers...

On another note, I'm somewhat in awe of how much interest there is in seeing the Avatar movie on BD in my movie theater - it's a little overwhelming, to say the least - I have already scheduled FIVE showings(!) of this movie to co-workers, friends and family who are all chomping at the bit to see this, most of whom did not see the movie in the theaters. It is really amazing how many people have not seen this movie yet, for as popular as it has been...

I have already shown Avatar at two Movie Nights, with three more showings scheduled (so far) for this week and next. I seat a maximum of 10 people per showing, and three of those showings have already been booked solid! I've now had 38 people RSVP for one of these 5 showings, with more still wanting to see it - so I'm sure I'll be scheduling a few more Avatar Movie Nights throughout the next month, LOL!

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy Frey
Haha, no, don't want to get in trouble with the "movie police!" These are strictly free showings with no admission, and everyone attending is someone I know, or their family. Most people do bring a snack food or beverage to share around at the snack bar, before the movie and during the intermission, but that's on a voluntary basis... Hopefully I'm safe!!

Haha Frey, same with me! I made a Facebook event titled "Pandora Pizza Party!" and the response has been so overwhelming I had to schedule an extra day. I have to try and fit two extra couches in the screening room. Crazy!

I work at a performing arts center and I am very tempted to test Avatar on the projector we have there, it's sadly only 720p. But I think it might still look quite nice on a 35 foot screen. When I do it, I will take some pics and share it with you guys.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I had no problems loading Avatar on my LG BD-370, have not done a firmware update for some time..

profile 2.0 player, loaded quickly enough, no different to other titles in my collection

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's slow in this thread at the moment so I figured I'd throw this out there hehe.

Does anyone else besides me find Neytiri's face totally hypnotic to look at? It's just so alive and delicate, the face capture technology Cameron used nabbed every ounce of Zoe Saldana's expressions in an almost eerie way.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not into 10ft blue chicks with tails or anything but in a really odd way she is actually pretty attractive lol.

My favorite shots of her face is right after she rescues Jake from the hyenas and says "Don't thank! You don't thank for this. This is sad, very sad only. Your like a baby, making noise don't know what to do."

You'd swear she was a living breathing being!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks