What's new

AV123 MFW-15 vs SVS PB13 Ultra (1 Viewer)

VTHOKIE1984

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil Urick
Any thoughts on these two. The SVS is so more expensive and the MFW-15 did very well in the test, what does anyone think?

Thanks.

AV123 MFW-15 ($599 ID): 103 points (53-50)

SVS PB13-Ultra ($1499 ID): 109 points (57-52)

These were the review scores I copied and pasted

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor

I believe that you have answred your own question. I have not heard either of these subs however; they have both:
1.) received rave reviews
2.) come from reputable companies
3.) have a 30 day in home trial
4.) both have bstock sales going on PB 13 ultra $1,149.00 and the MFW (if any are left at close to $500) (not sure about the 30 day return on B stock)

5.) If you are in the position to even consider doing this in this economy, then you are fortunate. This a good time to buy especially if you can send back something you don't like in 30 days.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Where did those test results come from? And what are they looking at? Did they look at low end freq extension vs output vs distortion? I'd be surprised if the AV123 sub did as well as the SVS in that regard. One difference in the cost might be that that SVS sub is made here, but the AV123 probably isn't (China?). If that sort of thing matters to you or not. :)

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
The results are from the craigsub list on AVS. Not trying to make you second guess however, if Ihad my choice and the money, I would get a SVS b-stock at 1149 without blinking. They are black with the cloth grill. Eventhough the Av123 will not got as low or as loud, it is plenty for most applications. Both are good subs on paper but the reviews and the specs say that the svs is the superior sub. Once again, I would jump on the svs if I had the cash or a wife that would let me be a bit irresponsible. :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know much about the AV123 sub before your post. Did some research on it, and it is impressive.

I could rant about how artificially fixed exchange rates makes a product like this available at such a reasonable price, but I won't ... ;)

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor

I would have agreed with you a year ago however; with the dollar weakening in the foreign markets,it is costing more dollars per local unit of currency to get the work done. Still not level but not as advantageous as it once was.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The problem is that even as the US dollar weakens, because the Chinese yuan is artificially fixed to it, it weakens as well, even though it shouldn't. So cheap Chinese products stay cheap even though they should be getting more expensive as other products from other countries do.

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
The AV123 MFW-15 is not "made in China". The cabinet is made in Cali Columbia, South America.

As far as where the driver and amp are sourced from, China is a distinct possibility for one or the other. I read several years ago that things like the magnets for subwoofers are almost impossible to source in the US.

I am not aware of any subwoofer at any price that has every single component sourced in the US. I am pretty sure that the BASH amps used in SVS and many other subs come from Canada.

AV123 does have some of its finest cabinets built in China. Getting large diamond finished rosewood cabinets anywhere else is prohibitively expensive.

Still, in our present economic crisis, prices on cabinets from Cali are rising also.

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

This is an unfair comparison in subwoofers. The SVS Ultra is in a class of it's own, and competes with subwoofers costing thousands. The MFW-15 is an excellent performer but not close to the SVS Ultra.

And that point system is from Craigsub. It is his own personal point system and not an official point system for any of the manufacturers listed. Nor is it a official point system for any of the audio publications. It is for his own personal use.

Benis

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Holy crap! No bias here! Most hold Craigsubs testing methods in high regard. Lets back this topic up with facts instead of preferences.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Craig put two MFW on Parr/very close anyway.. with a single Ultra if memory serves me correct? If you do go the Ultra rout, it'll ship within a day of the order most likely and definitely be a better single sub over the MFW I think most would agree. If any issue comes up with anything, they'll take care of it pronto. Generally it's the case that you can fix the problem yourself with a new shipped part instead of messing with shipping the whole sub back and forth. It's very seldom something should come up though.. it's worth mentioning when doing a sale like this over the Internet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks