What's new

AV Receiver question for the experts (1 Viewer)

andoman

Auditioning
Real Name
casey anderson
To anyone that can help:

I just recently built a house, and the garage is a place I have always entertained over the years.

I did it right by installing flush mount Polk Audio speakers in the front and back wall, and an HD projector.

I also have a Polk powered sub and center channel. Needless to say for football games and watching movies, this is like a movie theatre. I have a Harmon Kardon AV HDMI receiver, and I have the out on the HDMI port of the receiver going up to the projector that is right above my garage door opener. Question is this..........I have the plug and play game Big Buck Hunter and I am trying to find a way to play it out there. I turn the AV receiver to Video 3 which it shows on the three front RCA plugs on the front of the receiver. The two RCA cords on the plug and play game are around 10 feet long, so it stretches from where I have my AV receiver mounted on a shelf on the side wall of the garage to the middle of the garage which would be the best vantage point as the projector normally projects about a 100" image on the back wall of the garage. The IR receiver box for the game sits on an external center channel box that I have mounted to the back wall that is right below where the screen is. When I turn the AV receiver to Video 3 and turn on the projector, the projector says that it is searching for signal, but does not show a video display. It does however, broadcast audio of the video game so I can hear the game on. What can I do to make the video game show up on the projected wall? Does there need to be some sort of signal boost since the RCA cable is so long going into the AV receiver and then up to the projector via HDMI? Any input is appreciate on how to make this work. I appreciate any help or thoughts you can give me.

Thanks,

Casey Anderson

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It would help if you gave us the model number of the H/K receiver.

It sounds like the receiver isn't looking to the front video input for the video signal. It sounds like you're saying Video 3 is the default location for the front video input but you might want to go into the H/K's setup menu under "assigning inputs" or whaterver terminology it uses and double-check the setting. I don't think a 10' long analog cable is the problem.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
It's also possible your model H/K receiver does not convert analog video signals to output via HDMI. You can try running a separate composite video out from the receiver to the projector and seeing if that produces an image. If so, then you'll have your answer.

andoman

Auditioning
Real Name
casey anderson
Gene C,

I have been out of the loop the last couple weeks, but wanted to give you the model number for the HK receiver.

It is the AVR 1600 model. I have tried to get onto the menu and mess with the inputs.
I have done everything I can think of, either there is something that can be done that I do not know how to do, or

Jason is correct that the analog video does not get converted before being transmitted by HDMI up to my projector.

unfortunately, I did not run coax or RCA plugs up to the projector so there is no other way to bring a video signal up there from the receiver.

Any feedback is appreciated.

CA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks