What's new

Austin powers, Goldmember disappointment (1 Viewer)

Hisham_k

Auditioning
Do not get me wrong all you austin powers fans.
I watched this movie last night and it was hilarious.
When reading the back cover of the Jewel case cover ( i.e DTS-ES, DD-EX) , I said to myself this will be a great demo for surround sound.
But to my disappointment the side surrounds and the back surround where barely active during the whole movie(using DTS-ES track).
I thought that my system is messed up, so I watched parts of Blade II(DTS track) to check it out and WOW what a difference in the audio between the two movies.
So what is the use of mixing the audio in DTS-ES and DD-EX
if they are not used properly ?

Any thoughts ?

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
Hisham; I am in full agreement with you. Although I do not have a receiver with a center back channel, a 5.1 receiver can be set up to reproduce the center rear surround track. I heard the same differences between BLADE 2 which I rented some time ago and GOLDMEMBER. I think the word that you are looking for in a good soundtrack is the one WIDESCREEN REVIEW uses; AGGRESSIVE. GOLDMEMBER is a fine example of how not to do an aggressive surround mix with almost nil EX surround. I watched TRIPLE X the other night. I do not believe it is an EX disc, but like THE MATRIX it has an aggressive surround mix around the whole surround field including the center back area. I also felt that some of the music recorded in this film was the finest I ever heard in the Dolby Digital format.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Why does every movie need agressive surround use?
I agree with this view. How many times would Goldmember honestly benefit from an "agressive" soundtrack. While there are obviously films that benefit, I doubt comedies like this are in that category.

Hisham_k

Auditioning
Nobody is saying that Goldmember should have an agressive surround. So if this true why would they mix it using DTS-ES
for that matter, They could have used Dolby digital 2.0 and used the extra space for more extras.
Or is the DTS-ES used for attracting consumers like us who knows the difference between the different audio formats.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
The DTS-ES is a novelty feature used to push people over the edge on buying it, who weren't positive they wanted it, but then saw the DTS-ES feature that is all "high and mighty" on their new receiver, so they buy it.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
That's funny, I just watched it and I thought the dts track sounded phenomenal. I thought the mix was very enveloping and the dialog was very nicely recorded as was the music. I thought the track sounded very rich, the louder I turned it up the better it sounded which to me is indicative of a nice mix that hasn't been overly compressed. I found the bass response to be very articulate as well and not overly boomy or sloppy. Now I would nver compare this mix to Blade 2 which was a bombastic mix but for the type of movie Goldmember is I was extremely impressed.

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff Kleist said:
Why does every movie need agressive surround use?
I agree with this as well. In my opinion, one of the films that best demonstrates surround sound is Amelie. That has a DTS soundtrack that is so subtle that it actually enhances the dreamlike quality of the film.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hisham; I am in full agreement with you. Although I do not have a receiver with a center back channel, a 5.1 receiver can be set up to reproduce the center rear surround track.
gary...how is that done?

AaronJB

Second Unit
The AP: Goldmember disc sounds terrific on my system, with plenty of surround use for both music and occasional effects. It doesn't put the rear surround to great use (unlike Haunting or Lord of the Rings: EE, both of which have amazing rear surround use), but I still feel its an awfully nice soundtrack and uses surround as well as a comedy can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks