What's new

Austin Movie Nights! (1 Viewer)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Count me in for Fright Night. I love scary movies. Not a big fan of gore though.
Tom Waits' album "The Black Rider" makes for great Halloween music. Not much of a work out for the sub though.
At the rate things are going with the Mirus Miniplex, Bond Night may not happen till after CES :frowning:

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Hey Guys

Sorry I haven't chimed in here in a while but things have been alittle crazy.
Hey before everyone has their Fright Night parties please feel free to pay me a visit at opening day of the Golf USA store. I think this is going to make for a plenty scary Halloween for me.

Oh well let me know guys.
Later
Greg

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, that's too bad :frowning: Do you need some labor hands at the Mirus Miniplex?
Nils, looks like Jonathan is in for a fright night. When do you want to do the first one?
Greg, please post your grand opening day/time/address. I'd like to drop in and wish you good luck. Maybe stand outside and try to sell speakers out of my SUV (just kidding;) )

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the delay in answering, I've been in Dallas last week.

Anyway, how does this Friday night sound for "Fright Night"?

I think true to the nature of a "Fright Night", a double feature would be in hand.

Here are some of the horror movies I have on DVD (including "The Blob" being offered by Hank):

CLASSICS:
1922 - Nosferatu (Eine Symphonie des Grauens)
1931 - Dracula
1931 - Frankenstein
1932 - The Mummy
1933 - The Invisible Man
1935 - The Bride Of Frankenstein
1941 - The Wolf Man
1943 - Phantom of the Opera
1954 - Creature From The Black Lagoon
1958 - The Blob
1960 - Psycho
1962 - Premature Burial
1963 - The Haunting
1964 - Masque of the Red Death
1968 - Night Of The Living Dead
1968 - Rosemary's Baby
1968 - Spirits of the Dead

70's:
The Wicker Man
The Exorcist
Legend of Hell House (1974)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Jaws
Carrie
The Omen (1-3)
Suspiria
Martin
Dawn Of The Dead
Phantasm
When A Stranger Calls
Nosferatu The Vampire (1979)
The Shining

80's:
Halloween (1-5)
79 Alien (1-4)
Friday the 13th (1-?)
Wolfen
The Thing (1982)
C.H.U.D.
Lifeforce
A Nightmare On Elm Street (1-8)

MODERN SLASHERS:
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Urban Legend
Final Destination
Jeepers Creepers

MODERN HORROR:
Man Hunter
Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal
Species (1-2)
The Blair Witch Project
John Carpenter's Vampires
Deep Blue Sea
Blade (1-2)
Disturbing Behavior
Hollow Man
Stigmata
The Mothman Prophecies
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Dog Soldiers

DRAMATIC HORROR:
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Interview With the Vampire
Sleepy Hollow
American Psycho
Ginger Snaps
Shadow of the Vampire
Session 9
The Ninth Gate

COMEDIC HORROR:
Phantom of the Paradise
Evil Dead (1-2)
Re-Animator
An American Werewolf In London
Army of Darkness
Tremors
From Dusk Till Dawn (1-3)
Scream (1-3)
Bride of Chucky
Idle Hands
Scary Movie
Showgirls
Ghosts of Mars

(OK, so those last two films weren't meant to be listed under "Comedic Horror" by their director's, but the films speak for themselves!)

I also have the DVD "Boogeymen: The Killer Compilation" which was released last year by FlixMix. This is DVD is a blast. Not only does it have "Highlights" from such classics as "Hellraiser, Child's Play, Candyman, Leprechaun, The Ugly, Wishmaster, The Guardian, The Dentist, The Puppetmaster, and many of the films listed above - all with commentary from Robert Englund (star of the NOES series), but this disc also has fun trivia on these famous horror legends as well as a "Name That Frame" game were you have to guess the film villian from single frame shots. This might be fun to flip through as an intro to a film instead of a double feature.

I would like to get a firm count though... so speak up or miss out.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I know I won't be there but I vote for Brotherhood of the Wolf. That is one of my favorite films of the year. If you haven't seen it, you should. On Nils system this movie will impress.

Hey Nils. I had so much fun playing PS2 on your system, I broke down and bought an X-box yesterday. Sega GT 2002 is incredible on the projector. I can't wait to pick up NFL Blitz.
Greg

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Nils, I am impressed, sir. Don't forget under comedic horror belongs Mel Brooks' best work: "Young Frankenstein"

Well, I'm on the brink of cancelling my Yucatan trip Thursday, so if I'm in town Friday, I vote for "The Blob", intro'd by Nils' recommendation of "Boogeymen: The Killer Compilation".

As we get closer to Halloween, how about some of the more classic horror movie titles? That is, if we can talk Nils into a horror movie every 2 or 3 nights.

Colin, would you share the hosting? BTW, is your screen hung yet?

Jonathan, since this will be very informal, how about the Mirus Miniplex? We don't need tiered seating to do informal horror movies. And, to lessen the burden, I recommend the host(s) not have to supply ANY food or drink. We could all bring our own.

There doesn't seem to be hardly any interest in this. I'm very surprised. Looks like Jonathan, Colin (I assume your post meant you will attend), myself and Nils are in.
Anyone else?? How can you not be in the spirit, what with the mountains of halloween candy and paraphenalia at HEB?

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
That is a killer list of movies Nils! I've been wanting to see a lot of those, but for the first Double Feature I'll vote for The Mummy and Omen.

Hank,
I'll see what I can do to get the Miniplex viewable soon. It would be great for some of the black and white classics.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Hank,
Why are you cancelling your trip? Is there a tropical storm in the Yucatan?
I sympathize with you if that is what happens.

I would be interested in some horror movies, so you can pretty much count me in.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I'll be there as long as the movie selection doesn't tend toward extreme gore. No Freddy or Jason movies for me...

Hank -

Tomorrow evening I am finally going to borrow my co-worker's wood shop and get those boards cut for my screen. Screen hanging will likely take place later in the week.

I should be able to host something in the November-December time frame...

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Colin, November-December is NOT horror movie season. Your bare wall is fine for horror movies. And I agree with you about the modern gore movies - they're not the real thing IMHO.

Jonathan, black and white classics at MM? Sounds like a plan to me. Shall I bring Bloddy Mary ingredients?

Scott - it's finances. I have my ticket from frequent flyer miles, but can't go. Two offspring who didn't save money over the summer to help with college expenses. Oh well, they owe me and I'm sure they'll keep me in comfort in my old age someday (plenty of tequila, beer, women and HT). Yeah, right.

Nils, I have a potential conflict this Friday night - my son's fraternity's parents night. I'll check. How 'bout Saturday night?

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
This Friday night is also bad for me (High School Football game) as well as Friday, November 8th (last home game). I will also not be available the weekend of November 2nd and 3rd (taking classes all day).

However, this Saturday night is definitely a possibility. I too am not one for "gore" flicks but I do enjoy a good thriller. The Alien and Aliens movies always give me goose bumps. If we do have it this Saturday, I am going to try and get my wife to come along.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, my other son has his junior varsity game this week on Friday, so with two conflicts, I can't do Friday. Drat!
Now for something a bit different, an e-mail from my daughter with a nugget of wisdom:
Jessica Phillips
Dell ATG S&P Sales
Phone: 800-357-3355
Fax: 800-677-8414
[email protected]
Subject: The Buffalo Theory
The Buffalo Theory
I have not seen anyone explain this as well as Cliff Clavin, on Cheers. One
afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his
buddy Norm. Here's how it went:
"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as
fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the
slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural
selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and
health of the whole group keeps
improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.
"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the
slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain
cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.
In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells,
making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you
always feel smarter after a few beers."

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Hank -
I thought Jonathan or Nils was going to host the October meet. I agree that November-December is too late to capitalize on Halloween... :)
If I am supposed to host this one, I won't be able to do the movie night on Friday or Saturday. We could try for Sunday evening (October 27), next Tuesday evening (October 29), or Halloween (Thursday evening - unless everyone already has other plans for that night). The screen may even be up on the wall by then... :)
Frederick - I have a DVD of "Aliens" (bought from Nils Luehrmann's cast-offs). The tension in the scene right before the space marines get attacked by aliens the first time is almost unbearable. I almost suggested this movie but many people think of it more as a war/action movie than a horror movie. I think that's because...

The most famous scene is the one in which Sigourney Weaver goes postal in the aliens' nesting area.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Saturday night will work out, but ShowTime will have to wait until after the Texas vs Iowa St. game, which should end about 5:30-6pm. For those interested in watching the game before hand, let me know. If its a boring game we can turn on the PS2 or start the "Fright Night" early.
As for film preferences. There are several films that would make for good double/triple features.
Naturally one has to consider the "Series" films:
The Evil Dead Trilogy
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
A terrific trilogy by Link Removed and featuring Link Removed at his best! Scary, fun, and actually quite good films considering their extraordinarily modest budgets! Often imitated, but never duplicated - these are true classics that jump started a genre.
The Omen Trilogy
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
This whole series gives me the goosebumps each time I see them, but as usual, the first is by far the strongest!
The Alien Series
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Of course once you see Alien, the rest just don't match the pure terror that is evoked from the original due to the fact you never really see the "creature" until the very end, all you see is the effect it has on the isolated and defenseless crew. Brilliant, brilliant film!
The Halloween Series
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
The first is a true classic. Very terrifying without overdoing it in the gore category. James Cameron used the same style of relentless pursuit in The Terminator, and many other directors have done the same. Unlike many series/trilogies, the sequel was actually very good, and plays well when watching both back to back, picking up exactly where the first left off. After that though, the series took a major hit with #3 which had nothing to do with the first two films. I have not yet seen the two latest Halloween films, but I hear, at least H2O was pretty good.
The Nightmare On Elm Street Series
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Here I have the entire box set, and I have NEVER watched any of them... ROTFLMAO (too many films, too little time)
I hear the early ones were very good, but I can't comment from 1st hand experience.
The Friday the 13th Series
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
I guess this should be called "The Series that Would Not Die". I found these films far to gory for my taste, but I appreciate the cult status of this series, and the storyline from the first film was quite good, and the 3D version of part 3 was brilliant, but after that it got completely out of control and relied only on gore and its pedigree to gain attention to itself.
On a related note, we all knew it was bound to happen...
Link Removed is being shot right now by the great Hong Kong director, Ronny Yu, and is expected to be released on Friday the 13th in June of next year.
The From Dusk Till Dawn Trilogy
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
For pure entertainment, the original is hard to beat. Not exactly scary, but a whole heap of fun and some amazingly sharp dialog. I haven't seen the other two, so I can't comment on their worthiness.
The Scream Trilogy
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Typical of most series, the sequels fall far short from that of the original, but considering how clever Scream was, this was only to be expected. That said, Wes Craven uses the "trilogy factor" to continue to poke fun at the genre.
As for similarly themed films that would make for excellent double/triple features:
Nosferatu (original '22 version, '79 remake, and the recent film based on the bizarre events surrounding the filming of the original film - such as the mysterious deaths and disappearences of some of the cast & crew)
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
All three of these films are fantastic, and while I have not seen them back to back, I am positive it would be an amazing experience!
The Classic Monster Movies of the 30's starring the likes of Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney Jr., Claude Rains, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, and many others.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Any and all of these would be excellently displayed on Jonathon's system - aka Mirus Miniplex
Yikes!!! How time flies... I have to put this message to bed, but I'll try and get back to it later with some other good Fright Night Film Combos.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Colin, I think the idea is for as many people as possible to host as many Fright Nights as possible as soon as possible.

I'm in for this Saturday if that's the new day.

And where's Hayenga in all this? He has a primo theater that's perfect for a Fright Night.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
BTW: Before I depart, I must add that if any one asked me what are the two most frightening/disturbing (without being disgusting) films I have ever seen they would easily be the following:
Link Removed
This 1963 classic should NEVER, EVER be confused with the horrible 1999 remake Link Removed.
Link Removed
This British film was directed by Robert Wise, not known for doing "scary" movies, but rather classic dramas. Too bad he didn't make more, as this film defines terror and transfers the tattered emotions of its stars from the screen into the viewer's psyche. This film has no physical villain, no special effects, no seen deaths, and yet it will leave you trembling. I have already probably said too much if you have not seen this movie, so let me just sum up by saying - GO SEE THIS FILM!!!!!!
My other top pick is...
Link Removed

This 1965 little known classic was written and directed by Roman Polanski and stars the absolutely gorgeous Catherine Deneuve at a tender age of 22. Without giving anything away, basically Polanski creates an atmosphere whereby the viewer watches as Deneuve's character slowly but surely goes insane with catastrophic results. What sets this film apart is the brilliant way it is shot, and its precise use of sound that causes the viewer to wonder if they too are going insane... brrrr.... (disturbs me just to think about this film).

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry I have not been replying more often but, work is killing me. Anyways, count me in for Saturday if there is still room. As for movie preferences, Friday the 13th(first one) and Alien/Aliens. I will keep monitoring to see what the final decision is.

Ian b

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Colin, we're not talking about a monthly "meet" here. This is about doing several fright night horror movies because it's the halloween season.

Okay, Saturday night at Nils' house. I withdraw my The Blob entry - we'll do it another time. I hereby vote for one or two of the classics from Nils' list as my first choice - probably "Bride of Frankenstein" and "Wolf Man". Second choice would be an "Omen" or two.

I would be happy to host a fright night - I hadn't volunteered before because after the front projection experience no one would want to view my little 54" RPTV - I certainly prefer FPTV.

Jonathan, since I'll be in town, do you and Scott Oliver want to come over Saturday afternoon and build his room treatments? We could do that and then go over to Nils' at 6:00. Let me know - I'll also send Scott an e-mail.

Later, ghouls

Bond...James Bond

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
My wife and I will be able to attend this Saturday evening. If anyone is interested, I have Bram Stoker's Dracula Superbit version that I would be happy to provide. That is about the only offering I have. I will second Hank's vote for a classic like Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstien, et al.

On another night, we might want to do something fun like "Young Frankenstien" as a diversion from the other more intense films that will be showing throughout this month. Just a thought.

I hope to see you all at Nils this Saturday, and until then stay safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks