What's new

Austin Movie Nights! (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
"And if there are no women there (Raelene is in Kansas at the moment), I'm not sure it's worth the effort to dress nice "

You got that right and if Raelene is in Kansas for a few weeks, YOU sure don't need to dress up.

Too bad about the tubes. Was the pj overhauled/cleaned? If so, the tech may have messed up the spacer mounting.

Yes, OHMSS is truer to Fleming's novel than the others.
Everyone else: VOTE.

Have you decided on a day yet?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hank wrote:
Nils, regarding your MWTGG nomination. Amongst us Bond devotees, it vies for the title of worst Bond film. Yes, casting Christopher Lee was quite a good move.
Hmmm... a group of self proclaimed devotees who have spent their lives idolizing a fictional character don't like this film eh? :D
Hank, you surpise me. I had thought that a man like you, with a witt as sharp as Connery's Bond, and sarcasim that rivals Moore's Bond would immeadiately understand the qualities of MWTGG. *SIGH*
As I said, "The Man with the Golden Gun" isn't the best Bond movie, but it is certainly not even close to being the worst. What it is, and what apparently your Bond fanatic friends have missed out on is its pure entertainment value, but hey... what ever floats your boat. ;)
In my opinion, the "best" (as in critically aclaimed) Bond films are the early Connery films, and my personal favorite also is "From Russia with Love", but the reason for my nomination of MWTGG is because it is simply fun and would have, in my opinion, been a fun group viewing. The same would go for "The Spy Who Loved Me", while it does not match the quality level of FRWT or Goldfinger, it is rich in entertainment and fun to watch with a group.
The point being is that I had the instinct that our group is rich in humor, jest, witt, and sarcasm and thus MWTGG or SWLM would have been a perfect match. And as most of us have probably seen SWLM many times I thought MWTGG would make the better choice, but there it is. I'm sure what ever is shown it will be an entertaining evening all the same.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

I'm going to take the family out to Zilker on Sunday the 13th for ASB's concert - will you be performing, and if so, maybe we can meet before the concert?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Nils, we didn't miss you, we missed your off-the-wall barbs of humor. You have defended your Bond flic choice quite intensly yet admirably and I shall not argue. TMWTGG is fine by me. Acutally, I haven't viewed it in quite a while and do see the value in the pure "entertainment" of which you speak.

I hope others will vote; otherwise, Jonathan may have to draw straws, which is okay.

You're right, we are a sarcastic, dry-humored lot of blokes aren't we? Without our presence, the forum would indeed be a desert devoid of humor, save the obvious crass, slapstick guffaws of the masses.

Yes, bring the family to Zilker on the 13th. I'll be there early, putting out signs. I need to make myself do the "P" word (practice). We're playing some pretty difficult music for an outdoor concert. Our director keeps pushing us to be the best volunteer community symphonic band in the country and there are one heck of a lot on notes that fly by my eyes on some of the music! As the Emperor said in Amadeus: "There are simply too many notes".

BTW folks, on Oct 22, a new mix box set of Bond DVD's will be released. 7 films - prerelease price at Amazon is $81.22 and includes a coupon for $5 off ticket price for Die Another Day.

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Jonathan,

With the cold front moving in today, now would be the perfect time to get the audio cables run in your attic. Let me know if I can be of assistance to you in getting this part of the project done.

How is the projector calibration coming?

Raelene

Agent
Okay Guys, here's the deal!!! I love to dress up and will find any reason to do so. If I have to go all the way to Texas to have an excuse to dress up that's what I'll do! I'll be cashing in my frequent driver miles for 2 votes and I vote for "The Man With The Golden Gun". Now there will be no reason for drawing of straws. Nils, I'll take one of your martini's in trade for my vote. lol

How does Thursday the 17th at 7:00 sound to you guys?

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Well then, I guess we have a date! Don't know about that two votes thing, I might need some convincing.

The lowdown:
1. You have to have a martini ingredient or preparation aparatus to get in the door, funky recipes are encouraged.
2. Formal dress is encouraged (007 wouldn't be caught dead in anything less)
3. There are 6 seats available, if you want to bring a date, please include that in your RSVP. We can add two more seats up front, for a total of 8, if needed.
4. BRING A DATE

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
What happened to the "no dress up" concept? The mere mention by a woman and Jonathan does a 180? That smacks dangerously of female control, my friends. Scary, and they're not even married. Shudder...

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Ah Hank, ye of little memory. I'm tempted to make an age joke here, but I'll let it slide. This time.

You will recall that my original plan was for formal dress, however it was nixed by the absence of female company. With the return of said company, the formal attire is back on. Think of this not as female control, but rather that I have a woman who is willing to drive 500 miles to give me what I want.

And let me get this straight, the man who wants to be James Bond is complaining about dressing up? 007 would be ashamed.

Atkins, Jonathan Atkins

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Temper, temper, Atkins. Yes, an age joke would be very mean-spirited, as Sean Connery would probably say. And I do remember your former post, BTW. You're lucky to have a woman willing to drive 500 miles to give you what you "...want". :eek:
I trust that what you want will calm you down.
I'd be torn between my tux and my "Albert R. Broccoli 007 Stage Pinewood Studios" sweatshirt. Or perhaps my "Vodka martini, shaken, not stirred" T-shirt. Hmmm...
-Bond

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Temper? That was a joke man! I think I win the award for driest sense of humor.

Insert obligatory emoticon here:

:p)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm drier. Mine was a joke too. Native Texan. Dry as West Texas dust. :rolleyes
We could probably do a stand-up comedy routine. Question is, how many in the audience would catch our concealed jokes? (that's rhetorical)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
***Obligatory Applause for the very dry humor on display***

Would love to join you that night but alas need rest, not drink, leading up to a very busy weekend for me.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Hey guys, I'm afraid I'm going to have to delay Bond night by a week or so. I have to go out of town this weekend, which means I won't be able to put any work into the Miniplex. I did get up in the attic last night and get things moved around and got the image centered, but there's too much focus and convergence work to get done before Thursday as a result of the movement. I'll try to get as much of this done as possible next week and will reschedule with a new date as soon as possible.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hank had suggested a "Fright Night" themed Movie Night, but only Hank and I seemed interested?
If any of you would like to watch Saturday's "BIG GAME" - #2 Oaklahoma vs #3 Texas over at the Luehrmann Miniplex/Sports Bar feel free to drop me a line.
The game starts @ 2:30pm, but if you want to come early, I'll have the "OTHER BIG GAME" - #1 Miami vs. #12 Florida St. showing, which starts at 11am. Also, for the gamers, I'll have the PS2 w/EA's NCAA Football up and running on one of the TVs for those who want to play couch quarterbacking.
PS: Hank (aka #1), as you are in the "hood" so-to-speak, need I remind you that you have an open invitation to come by and join us in watching movies. I mean, after all, you did bring my wife flowers - that alone earned you a free Summer pass at the Luehrmann Miniplex! :D

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Nils, I didn't see you in the audience at my concert last night. Also, no one from work came, despite my telling several people about it. I guess a few degrees below 80 scared people away. It was a beautiful evening.

I can't explain the lack of interest in Fright Nights in Austin. Don't these people have fond memories of being scared out of their wits as kids watching horror movies? What can we do to create interest? Should we stoop to offering a best costume prize? It's already middle of the month and I'll be under water in the Caribbean from the 25th - 29th, so let's get rolling. BTW, I'm mounting my "THE BLOB" movie poster and the DVD is sitting in the case waiting to premier at the Luehrmann Miniplex.

I just had a flash: Halloween evening at Nils' - HTers sitting in your garage handing out candy to the trick-or-treaters, with speakers and my monster subwoofer emiting monstrous, ghoulish sounds from halloween sound effects CD's. Miniplex movie afterwards. Whadya think?
Bwahahahahahahahahahahah!...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks