What's new

Austin Movie Nights! (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member

OK,
So the purpose of this thread is for those partaking in the Austin HT Meets to post invitations to other members to join them for a movie night/game console night and for those interested to respond.
I think the best way to do this is for the host to set the date, time, itinerary (films/games/etc), rules(for the rowdy crowd :eek: ), and of course number of seats available.
For those that want to attend, or make requests, they should post here as well. If after RSVPing for an event and then discovering that you can't make it, please be sure to post here letting everyone know that your "seat" is now available.
How does that sound?
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
OK... seeing as we've been doing a lot of movie stuff for the last couple years, how about some gameing this time?
Here's what I have so far:
Luehrmann Digital Entertainment Proudly Presents...
- GAME DAY -
Date: THIS SATURDAY , August 17th, 2002
Time: 2pm - ? (no later than 10pm)
Location: Luehrmann Miniplex - Located in North West Austin off 2222 West of 360 (Directions will be sent to RSVPs)
Itinerary: PC & Console Gameing
Number of Seats Available: Maximum 10 (5 in each row)
Equipment:
Cinema 12SF DLP Front Projector
96" DIY Parkland PLAS-TEX Screen
harman/kardon AVR210 Receiver
harman/kardon SAT/SUB-TS1 5.1 Speaker System
Sony PS2 (via S-Video)
Games:
Gran Turismo 3
NASCAR Heat 2002
Le Mans 24 Hours
Grand Theft Auto 3
Crazy Taxi
Eighteen Wheeler
Need for Speed: High Stakes
Ace Combat 04
Star Wars: Starfighter
NFL 2K2
NCCA Football 2002
Silent Hill 2
What to Bring?: (all optional)
1) Drink & Snacks of choice, but I'll provide some as well.
2) Other Game Consoles for comparisons
3) Additional PS2s w/iLink Modules for Multi-Player Modes
4) HTPCs for PC games
5) Other games for consoles & PCs
6) Various Gaming Steering Wheels
7) Flowers for the Mrs.
Rules:
1) NEVER Talk about "Fight Club"!
(oops... wrong thread.)
2) Have Fun!

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Great idea Nils. Unfortunately I can not attend this weekend. Damn and I was wanting to check out a PS2 on a dlp. So no PS2 in AC-3 through the DLP on the DIY, now I'm PO'd that I can't RSVP. :)
Well I'll see if I can make it anyway, I'll let you know.
Greg

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
I love the idea but I am going to be at a convention in San Antonio this weekend and won't be back until late Saturday afternoon. :frowning: I hope to catch the next one, though. ;)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm rowdy and I don't like rules. :angry:
I'm not a videogamer, but whaddya say I come over early and we have a "terminate Nils' component cable meet", complete with beers?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

I have another idea...

If you are free tonight or tomorrow night, how would you like to come over to the abode, terminate the component cable and watch LOTR. (We had the neighbors over to watched it last week and I can easily say this is a true reference quality transfer - and not a bad movie either... :wink: )

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Nils, I'll give you a call this p.m. My son Taylor bought LOR when it appeared the first day for $15+, so it's been on twice at my house. However, I would like to see the picture quality difference with my component cable, so pick a demo. Assuming the best, you'll be a good reference for me if I lose my corporate job and have to sell high-end interconnects on the street corner alongside the flower guys.;) Your glowing recommendation would be an asset.:D
BTW, any word on that awesome Lake Travis Jaws outdoor beach movie event?

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Is there still room. I can go now. If yes I have to return a movie to Hollywood DVD so I could pick-up any PS2 game you might want to try. Let me know what title, if you can still squeeze me in.

Thanks
Greg

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Yes,

Saturday is still on.

As for a game, it doesn't really matter to me. I listed the 10 or so games that I have, but if you want to rent a diferent game to try out, please feel free to do so, just don't feel you are obligated to as there is plenty to keep us occupied - if you do rent a game, pick whatever interests you.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

I just found this FAQ from Slingshot regarding their 3D system - looks like there might be some compatability issues when using it on anything but a standard direct view CRT TV.

I'll try and get some additional info from Slingshot to see how their system would work with my projector and let you know what they say.

PS: Are you going to be getting additional glasses?

----------------------------------------------------------

3D FAQ

Q: I see that you have 3D DVDs for sale. Do I have to watch them with red and blue cardboard glasses?
A: Red and blue glasses, also known as anaglyph glasses, have been used for stereoscopic viewing for years. These particular glasses are best used for 3D artwork viewing and for 3D photographs. Although attempts have been made for some home video and broadcast TV, anaglyph glasses do not offer maximum 3D potential for home TV viewing. For television, colors are not accurate, and the 3D illusion usually does not come across vividly. Viewers often have complained of headache or eye strain when using anaglyph glasses for TV. SlingShot uses the 3D shutter glass system with our product.

Q: I bought your 3D glasses and the glasses are flickering. Can you help me?
A: The 3D shutter glasses will always have a slight flicker for normal television viewing. The glasses are shuttering because they are syncing up to the television signal to create true 3D when viewing a program produced specifically for 3D shutter glasses.

Q: Can I reduce the amount of flicker?
A: Yes. There are a few ways of reducing flicker.

1: 3D programs using shutter glasses are best viewed in a dark room or at night. Any bright light source other than your TV set can cause a noticeable flicker effect.
2: Be sure the Picture/Contrast levels on your TV monitor are set at the middle range setting to reduce flicker in your glasses. You may want to reduce the COLOR intensity on the TV monitor as well.

Q: Why is the picture hard to watch?
A: If the picture is hard for you to watch, you may be seeing reversed 3D images. If so, press the MODE button on your emitter sync box once and the picture will adjust. A reversed 3D image means that the left and right fields are reversed and the background will dominate the foreground.

Q: I am not seeing 3D on my screen. What is wrong?
A: There could be various reasons for this. Always remember that the 3D shutter glasses and emitters are fragile and need to be handled with care.

1: If you have a LCD, HDTV or Plasma monitor, shutter glasses are not compliant. 3D shutter glasses work with sequential video fields for standard TV monitors using line resolution.
2: If you are using a projection TV with a LINE DOUBLER, you must turn off the line doubler to view this program.
3: The batteries inside your glasses could be dead. When new, these batteries can last up to 100 hours of viewing. The batteries are 3 volt Lithium series 1620 and can be found at any store selling camera or medical batteries. The glasses require 2 batteries. Refer to the main menu of the DVD for installation.
4: Check to see that your system is plugged in and connected properly. Refer to the set up guide on the main menu of the DVD for installation.
5: Make sure that the eyes of the emitter are aimed toward your glasses within a range of 6 feet. Do not block the eyes of the emitter including adhesive tape.
6: Make sure you are viewing a 3D stereoscopic program intended for 3D shutter glasses. 2D versions do not require 3D glasses.

Q: Can more than one person view this program?
A: Yes. You can order additional glasses without an additional emitter for cost savings. The recommended maximum amount of glasses to one emitter for home viewing is 6.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I found out that Link Removed is the maker of the 3D system included in the box set from Slingshot. If you want to contact them you can call them at (800) 339-5287 or click on their name to link to their website.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
The only info I have gotten from IO so far is that the system was designed for single gun direct view CRT TVs, but that some RPTV and FP owners have had success, but it isn't clear how or why.
What they do say is that they offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, so if it doesn't work on your particular system you can send it back and get your money back.
BTW: I looked at IO's retail site Link Removed and they list some future 3D DVD titles soon to be released Link Removed and two of them really caught my eye...
The venerable 1968 Romero classic Link Removed and the 1972 Bruce Lee classic Link Removed
If this system works on my projector I might have to even upgrade to the wireless glasses!

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
They're probably storing the stereo images in alternating fields of the interlaced video. Any sort of progressive display will probably hose it up good and proper....

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Nils, thanks for the info. I'm sure the system wouldn't work on a projector or line-doubled RPTV. What I don't understand is why it would not work on every non-line doubled RPTV. I assume the two stereoscopic fields of every picture frame are stored on the NTSC interlaced frames as Mark said. I may contact them and give them my RPTV make and model # and see if they know if it's compatible. If so, I'll buy the set. I would consider upgrading to wireless, to get rid of the wire hassle, but I think these 3D movies would be more fun watched by a group of people, so I might rather buy extra glasses. We'll see.
I think you should buy the videocam adapter so you can capture your new son in 3D. Imagine the first potty experience in 3D!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks