What's new

August MGM Midnite Movies and Horror Promotion titles! (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Holy shit! What a lineup!!! MGM comes through again with a great offering. THE GHOUL? I'd thought this was a lost film. BURNT OFFERINGS? Oh yeah! And HOWLING SE! and POLTERGEIST II! And more of the Corman/Poe/Price AIP classics! This is most excellent....August will be a wonderful month indeed!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
These titles all sound like must owns to me, looks like I'll have to get that second job;)

Now the ball in Universals court... Box up the second wave of the Classic monsters into an affordable set to go nest to the first Classic monsters set, and get the 3rd wave out. We NEED the invisible man films.

Who owns the rights to the American International titles? I'd love to see a double feature for The Amazing colossal Man / The Amazing Colossal Beast!

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Russell G wrote (post #42):

Most AIP titles should have belonged to Orion Pictures, whose library was bought up by . . . . . MGM/UA a couple of years ago. (The Poe adaptations that MGM/UA has put out on DVD are mostly AIP films.)

BarrieT

Auditioning
Since Burnt Offerings is 16x9, I hope someone will report whether that really is Karen jumping into the pool naked in that far shot? :D

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I see MGM is doing MUSCLE BEACH PARTY and SKI PARTY as a two-fer. I wish they would have done that with all the BEACH PARTY titles. Hopefully THE GHOST AND THE INVISIBLE BIKINI and BEACH BALL are not far behind (and Columbia will follow suit with IT'S A BIKINI SUMMER).

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
SQUIRM!! That's so sweet. I never thought this film would see a DVD release. Let alone, anamorphic, with a commentary track. This movie scared the hell out of me when I was about 7 years old. Features some great make-up work by a young Rick Baker.

My only wish is that they could get the MST3000 version on there somehow. One of my favorite episodes.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Would also like to see on MIDNIGHT MOVIES double bill
of 1960 and 1964 "VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED" and "CHILDREN
OF THE DAMNED", I thought sure, they would be in AUGUST???
Alan:frowning:

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Since Squirm is being released on DVD soon, this could put it in concrete, that the MST3K version will be out, since it's also been rumored that Sci-Fi Channel MST3K Episodes will be making the light of day soon.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
No MST3K on this release, though. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (MHVF?) that Jeff Lieberman hated the MSTied version of Squirm. I wish I could find the actual quote...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, one of the AIP Beach Party type films, Sergeant Deadhead, doesn't seem likely to be issued by MGM since it doesn't have Beach or Party in the title. Too bad, since Buster Keaton features prominently in it.

BarrieT

Auditioning
That was indeed, Karen Black jumping onto the pool naked. I moderated the commentary and she pointed that out.
Thanks, Darren! Now I can die a happy man knowing that nagging question has been finally answered (though you could have prolonged the suspense by just referring me to the commentary ;)). Now to find the biggest 16x9 projector...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Gordon! I love love love the Howling SE cover. It's like the original poster! What a unique idea! ;)

Amusing to see how they can make stuff like Troll and Ghoulies look scary! :laugh:

And yeah, I'll be buying the worm flick. I dig it.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
We all know what movie this line is from:

"Hello Ben, I've been waiting for you" :eek:

I saw this flick , Burnt Offerings, when I was 9yrs. old at the ol' theater in Germany where my stepdad was stationed in the Army. Man did that movie send chills down my spine especially that ending. Wow!!

I guess it's just the atmosphere of this movie that is so creepy. It doesn't depend on the ol' gore factor or quick sudden imagesw/ music to scare you, just good ol' fashioned camera work and slow "leading-up-to" suspense.

Definately getting this one!

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Do we have an exact release date yet on these?

I can't wait for A Comedy of Terrors/The Raven and The Howling - Special Edition...(of course I picked up the current disc of The Howling less than three weeks before these were announced).

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The Howling is up for pre-order for 8/26 release so that's probably the date they'll all be released.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If you are that interested in seeing Karen Black nude then I suggest you go out and look for a copy of Jack Nicholson's second directorial effort, Drive, He Said...it has a rather revealing bath scene with KB & a bird....yep...a bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks