What's new

August 19th for that Bob Fosse classic musical... (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Betcha, come August 18th-19th no one chooses to buy "ALL THAT JAZZ" over this year's best picture winner "CHICAGO"
I bet you're wrong. Sure, I'll buy CHICAGO. But I'll watch ALL THAT JAZZ first. This is one of my favorite movies and holds a special place in my heart.

Frankly, I'm really tired about people that bitch about this or that movie not coming out when they want. Look at the bounty of movies already on DVD. (Hell, I have over 600 unwatched DVDs sitting on the shelf waiting to be watched.)

Patience is usually rewarded and I suspect it definitely *will* be in this case. I saw the restored print in LA and it looked spectacular. Fox has really gotten behind restoration and I'll always wait for a film that's worth waiting for.

-greg

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Quote:

Patience is usually rewarded and I suspect it definitely *will* be in this case. I saw the restored print in LA and it looked spectacular. Fox has really gotten behind restoration and I'll always wait for a film that's worth waiting for.

-greg

Aw sucks, I'll bet it's the same transfer Ron reviewed back in 2001.

:star: FOX doesn't have to release "All That Jazz", but they will make money from it, so they will release it. Peter Staddon does a pretty good job restoring many FOX films, (Sound of Music excluded) and I can understand him wanting to hold off on the promotion and tie in to "Chicago" (Though I don't see how "the Rose" of "Hello Dolly" have much in common with "ATJ" or "CHICAGO").

But again like I said, I'm getting very VERY selective on titles I purchase now (As compared to three years ago) knowing HD is going to be a reality. I've seen the picture and it's incredible.

There are many films I would have purchased in the begining of DVD and have gotten my money's worth, But not this late in the game. Unlike many of you, I supported Laserdisc from the beginning only to see it killed within a few months after DVD was launched: Already Been There.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'm more interested in HELLO DOLLY, and while I like a bargain as much as the next guy, but I'm a bit wary of the low price. It seems more in line with barebones type releases, and this title deserves SE treatment.

Well, at the very least I hope it has top-notch picture and sound.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Ron - I read your report, but I'm not seeing anything like as impressive on my R2 disc as what you describe. The R2 is dual-layer, so it's not a low bitrate problem. Did you see a DVD screener or a high-def source on your Fox tour?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Greg_M, it is apparent that you don't like the film and aren't going to purchase it when it comes out. Can't we just leave it at that? As for how HELLO DOLLY and THE ROSE are related to ATJ? Uh......MUSICALS? Movie Musicals are once again popular. By releasing these Musicals at the same time as CHICAGO, Fox can maximize their profits.

SteveP

Second Unit
Never cared that much for ALL THAT JAZZ, even though my best friend played the stripper who diddles the young Fosse character in the burlesque house flashback. (Fosse wanted an over-the hill looking stripper, so she was somewhat over-weight in the scene--after we saw the film for the first time, we came home and she promptly threw up!)

The film did go majorly over-budget and that is why my friend was not called back to appear in the "hospital fantasy" musical sequence--at that point they were trying to save money on salaries.

Frankly, on-screen open heart surgery was never my idea of entertainment!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jon,

I have recently seen a bit of the R1 disc that
is being released this August.

I don't know if I am allowed to post a review
on it yet or not, but I'll say this....

It probably looks exactly the same as the R2 version.

I have only looked at the first 10 minutes of the
transfer -- the same 10 minutes worth I saw at Fox
last year. The transfer does not look as vibrant
as it did that day. We may have been looking at
actual film, but even if we were, I would have
expected the transfer to faithfully reproduce
everything we saw.

Not to say the transfer is subpar -- it isn't.
Actually, when you consider that this film had
considerable sprocket damage, thumb prints
throughout and was nearly destroyed for all time,
the studio did an amazing ressurection of this
title.

What I am saying right now, based on the few
minutes I watched, the transfer is not demo quality
nor the best transfer I have seen of a 70s title.
Yet, this is absolutely the best the film has ever
looked anywhere.

If I get permission to post a full review, I will
do so.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Not to say the transfer is subpar -- it isn't. Actually, when you consider that this film had considerable sprocket damage, thumb prints throughout and was nearly destroyed for all time, the studio did an amazing ressurection of this title.

What I am saying right now, based on the few minutes I watched, the transfer is not demo quality nor the best transfer I have seen of a 70s title. Yet, this is absolutely the best the film has ever looked anywhere.
Based on the R2, I totally agree! :)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
What a gyp that a title that was loaded with fascinating extras on LD like "Star" was, gets this kind of barebones DVD treatment. No sale!

Greg_M

Screenwriter
For $14.95 "Star!" is a great deal. Remember the laserdisc (load with extras) cost $90.00

Picked up "A Chorus Line" & "Sweet Charity" at Tower Records for $10 bucks each. "Star! will most likely have the same sale price, since Tower knocks $5.00 off the retail price on new releases.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Curious how extras mean so much to some people. I own the extra laden Star laser disc and would you believe I've never watched the extra material or listened to the commentary? I'll be dumping it as soon as I get my hands on the Star DVD!

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Actually, $14.95 for something with nothing compared to what I already have on LD (and I didn't pay full price for mine) is not a good buy by my reckoning. The supplements are what help this film take on an epic aura with me and no way would I spend money better spent on a different title for zero supplements.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Eric, we're talking about "Star!" not "Citizen Kane"

On a side note,

Ron, I know this is one of your favorite films, but why post a review 4 MONTHS before the street date? Why not wait at least until August so the review would be fresh on readers minds. 4 Months from now your review will be forgotten by many people.;)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The extras are the only way I get to appreciate the movie in the first place. Stand alone, there's not much to recommend. With supplements, "Star!"'s context in a fascinating era of Fox history in the late 60s becomes magnified.

So yes, because the film isn't "Citizen Kane" is why the film is not worth getting for the film alone from my standpoint especially when I have a version that is more interesting.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Greg,
no real reason to post the full review at this point, especially since your brief comments would seem validate what others and myself had thought regarding the other regions dics of this.
no reason whatsoever for fans of the film to be unhappy or seriously dissappointed.
a solid ( if unspectacular) presentation with some bonus content all for a rock bottom price.

oh how I WISH I could say the same about 50 or so other favorite movies of mine.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I have recently seen a bit of the R1 disc that
is being released this August.

I don't know if I am allowed to post a review
on it yet or not, but I'll say this....

It probably looks exactly the same as the R2 version.

I have only looked at the first 10 minutes of the
transfer -- the same 10 minutes worth I saw at Fox
last year. The transfer does not look as vibrant
as it did that day. We may have been looking at
actual film, but even if we were, I would have
expected the transfer to faithfully reproduce
everything we saw.

Not to say the transfer is subpar -- it isn't.
Actually, when you consider that this film had
considerable sprocket damage, thumb prints
throughout and was nearly destroyed for all time,
the studio did an amazing ressurection of this
title.

What I am saying right now, based on the few
minutes I watched, the transfer is not demo quality
nor the best transfer I have seen of a 70s title.
Yet, this is absolutely the best the film has ever
looked anywhere.
Based on this opinion of the transfer, I guess there is no reason for me to buy the R1 version since it appears to be pretty much the same as the R2 & R4 transfers. A "significantly" better transfer might have persuaded me to buy the R1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks