What's new

Audyssey Setup and crossover questions (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all,
I recently moved and so I decided to run the Audyssey on my Onkyo HT-RC270. I have never really understood how the whole thing works and every time it gives me the results, I change the settings thinking it's "wrong" even though I don't know much about cross over and such,
My speaker setup is the Infinity TSS-800 system. I read that if your sub has a LFE input, which mine does, then the crossover knob does not affect anything, however if I turn my past the hash mark 80, I definitely hear more sound from the sub, since it's letting more sound through.
After running the Audyssey, the results set my 5 speakers at 150. But my sub's crossover is set at 80. Doesn't that mean I am losing sound information?
I want to run the Audyssey this time and not mess with any settings and see how I like it, I just want to be sure I am not losing anything. What should my sub's crossver knob be set to before I run it?
If there is a guide to follow, that would be great!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First a question...
When you used the Audyssey mic did you sit it on a pillow, or use a camera tripod(you are supposed to use a tripod)?
I didn't think Audyssey set the crossovers(I thought you had to do that before you ran Audyssey...but last time I ran it was on an Onkyo TX SR707 and an Integra DTR 5.8.)
Lastly, you won't be the first, and far from the last, to think..."Audyssey came up with that???"
Edit:
Audyssey does NOT set crossovers. After Audyssey finds the "low rolloff" it reports that...it is up to you to fine tune the crossover trims yourself(or have done it beforehand).

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I had it on a tripod in spots we sit in. It was basically at ear height.
I just checked my settings and it set the 5 speakers at 150 hz and the sub cross over at 120. So am I losing 30 hz of...something? This is all so confusing. I'm not even close to an audiophile.
I also tested it and my sub's crossover knob does nothing when I plug it in using the LFE input. (I never knew that.)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The LFE input on a sub is supposed to bypass the knob...or it wouldn't be worth the label "LFE".
The TSS uses a 2 1/2 inch midrange driver in the satellites. A 2 1/2 inch driver might make it to 150hz.
Raise the subwoofer to* 150hz and call it a day. After a day try 180(if that is an option) and see how you like that. If 180 isn't an option, 200hz is...
150hz and 200hz are both right...it is afterall, your ears...not mine.
* By "raise the subwoofer"...I mean in speaker set-up in the Onkyo...not the knob.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"After running the Audyssey, the results set my 5 speakers at 150. But my sub's crossover is set at 80. Doesn't that mean I am losing sound information?"
Yes, you are losing information. Set the crossover knob on the back of the subwoofer to it's highest position (usually 200 hz). This will ensure the sub gets all it's supposed to get.
Audyssey does set the crossovers. It often times doesn't get the speaker sizes and crossovers acurate (but that has to do with how Audyssey has been implimented by the receivers manufacturer and not Audyssey itself). That's where the ..."Audyssey came up with that???" comes from :) .
"If there is a guide to follow, that would be great!"
Again, from fellow member David Willow (it tales a minute or two to load) http://www.willowville.net/ht/Audyssey%20Setup%20Guide.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks