What's new

Audio synch problems on HDTV broadcasts (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I really don't know where to post this but I am trying it here because I would assume it would be an accessory to buy to fix it. Anyway, I am having problems with the audio matching up to the actors lips moving on the screen. For some reason I see this more on HDTV broadcasts compared to SDTV. How can I fix this because it is annoying. I have friends over to blow them away with the PQ of HDTV but they all complain that it looks like an English dubbed kung fu flick. By the way my a/v receiver does not have an HDMI input so I can't send it to that and then to my tv. Is there a video/audio switcher box with HDMI? Is that how I would fix this?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've seen this occasionally too, Jeff. Others have seen it as well. It has nothing to do with the video connection, so using HDMI won't fix it. The problem originates in the broadcast, and would have to be fixed there. The only way I know of to deal with it on the consumer end would be to have a processor with HIGHLY adjustable audio delay to sync with the video.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
I've seen it occasionally with the Cox digital cable TV service. Technician's response when I asked about it added up to "...duhhhh...".

chris_everett

Second Unit
How is your system connected now? Is it HDMI to the TV, and audio (analog or digital?) to your reciever? Also, is the audio "early" or "late"?

I would be inclined to call DirecTV...

chris_everett

Second Unit
Wild ass guess.....
The audio and video might be synced on the HDMI cable, and the analog outs may also be synced, but the two aren't synced together. Do you have a composite video (or S-video or component) out that you can plug in to the TV and see if the sync's correct? Also try a digital audio connection if you have that option. I don't know if you can buy a box that will pull audio out of an HDMI stream, although that may be a solution....

Robert Bennett

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Bennett
I have this problem in spades.

I have a Direct TV HD box. I am running the video out on component into a Sony 55" 3LCD TV and the Audio on the optical out into my Yamaha 6.1 receiver. The worst is on HD network channels but I see it also on Std def channels to a lessor degree. Changing channels no help. Red button resets no help. I had the direct TV tech com out and he did a download which help for a couple days and the problems are back.

John Gido

Second Unit

In reading other message boards, DirecTV seems to be notorious for this problem. I, also, have the very same problem with my H20-600 DirecTV HD STB. :rolleyes

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I have seen this with HD broadcasts OTA using an onboard Sony TV HD tuner. I guess it originates at the source although I have wondered if the tuner was at fault.

I have also seen it with my Verizon FiOS TV, both HD and SD.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Hi, I'm looking for answers to the same problem, only I see it on some DVD's as well. I have a 25ft DVI-HDMI cable running from the DVD player and 25ft S-Video from the DirectTV box to my DLP set. My DVD manual states DVI or HDMI cables over 5 meters may cause sync problems so I was looking to confirm this and find out if I would have the same issue moving DVD and satellite box to the TV stand, and using long digital audio cables instead.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Two of my local channels are infamous for having synch problems. If you're only seeing synch problems on (a) certain channel(s), it's probably the source. It's unfortunately very common.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Thanks Philip; after re-reading the thread it doesn't look like changing cable length or upgrading to HD is going to help much. I don't remember seeing this with my 27" CRT set :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks