What's new

Audio Quality Question (1 Viewer)

Don Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I'm getting a new tv(52LG70) that uses HDMI(my old one used DVI) and was wondering if there would be any loss of audio quality by connecting my PS3 and satellite receiver etc. via HDMI to my tv and then using an optical digital cable from my tv to my receiver.
My Marantz receiver isn't HDMI capable so this is my only option until I get a new receiver, which won't be for a while.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Use HDMI cable from the PS3, and from the sat receiver, to the tv for video.
Then run optical cables from PS3, and sat receiver, to the A/V receiver, instead of the tv.

The optical output on most tvs is for audio from local HD channels, that are received with an antenna. It's usually not meant to piggy-back like you were suggesting, although I've heard that a couple of tvs will allow it.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
You won't get the full benefit of some audio (HD Master Audio, for instance) over the optical connection, but you will get audio of no lesser quality than you have been getting.

To take full advantage of HD-MA, you'll need HDMI connection to your audio system, or a BD player with analog outs and the proper codecs built in.

Don Scott

Stunt Coordinator
"You won't get the full benefit of some audio (HD Master Audio, for instance) over the optical connection, but you will get audio of no lesser quality than you have been getting."

That's a relief, that's what I was hoping. I really want the HD audio but will have to wait for a while, I just spent a large sum of money on the tv & PS3.

Thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
No problem! I'm in the same boat - much better picture, but still optical (SPDIF) quality sound. I suppose I'll get the itch to change that around Christmas time...gleem.

Oh, and enjoy that PS3. I've never been a gamer, but I bought the PS3 for BD, and a couple games for the family to play together. And we _love_ the media server connection, to let us view our photos on the TV. I even use the 'net connection to check TV listings, since the on-air listings are always wrong or incomplete.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks