What's new

Audio goes out when connecting A/V receiver to projector? (1 Viewer)

Alfonso5

Auditioning
Real Name
Alfonso
Here is a real puzzler: I have an atsc TV tuner (Samsung SIR-451)connected to my Denon 1513 AV receiver with an AVI to HDMI cable (the tuner doesn't have an HDMI out) for video and with an optical cable for audio. The receiver has no problems recognizing and reproducing the audio and the video. However, and here is the puzzler, when I connect the receiver to my brand new Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 through HDMI, misteriously, the sound goes out (but the video is fine). As soon as I disconnect the HDMI cable from the projector, the audio comes back, but of course, the video goes out! By the way, I also have a blue-ray player connected to the A/V receiver through HDMI (carrying both video and audio) with no problems. Any ideas, would be very much appreciated!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The reason your Blu-ray player works fine is that it has audio and video through HDMI. Since your tuner doesn't have HDMI the receiver is only getting video through your AVI to HDMI cable. But when you hook up the HDMI out to your projector, your receiver is tricked into thinking there is audio all the way through the HDMI handshake.
This should be an easy fix. On page 31 of your receiver's manual there is a "input select" which allows you to override the receiver's auto detection. If you change it from "auto" to "digital" you should get sound solely from the optical cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks