What's new

Attn: Yamaha owners, what DSP mode do you listen to cable TV in ? (1 Viewer)

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Yamaha RXV-650 and I've been listening in Stereo 7 for the most part since I've had it. I have digital cable and connect with a digital optical cable. I read some other threads and started thinking maybe I should be taking adantage of some of the available modes such as PrologicII or DTS Neo etc...

So what do you guys have yours set to when watching television programming ??

For speakers I have:
fronts - Athena AS-F1's
centre - Athena AS-C1
rears - Athena AS-R1's
sub - Athena Sub8 (JBL E250 Northridge on order)

Thomas_A

Second Unit
ON my V2400 I run PLIIx movie mode. Course on mine...this will automaicaly adjust to what ever comes up...IE- dolby digital or what ever.

I only use the 7chanenel stereo for music myself.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I would use DPL IIx, if my receiver had it, but in your case I would use DPL II. In the music mode on many receivers there are adjustments that control how much the center channel is spread out into the main speakers(Center Width)and how the front and back soundfields are balanced(Dimension). In addition, there is often a Panorama mode.

I would experiment with those settings. It's amazing how well DPL II can sound with TV if you get it right for your room and listening position with a little tweaking.

Good luck,

DJ

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
On my Yamaha 1200 I use pro logic II It depends on the movie but it sounds good. I am hooked to digital cable.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
(RX-V1300) I use for Comcast Basic (analog) Cable (depending on show, mood & not necessarily in the following order):

1) DTS NEO: 6 - Cinema
2) Dolby Pro Logic II - Movie
3) Entertainment: 6ch Stereo
4) Dolby Pro Logic Normal or Enhanced

Phil

martyTeboe

Grip
I find myself using the Neo:6 setting most often, though my AVR will detect a DTS or DD signal, and automatically make the switch for me. If I had the option of DPLIIx, I do believe I'd use that. That rear center speaker adds a bit of immersion to most programming on cable.

mt

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
Yamaha 5760/Directv:

I use Pro Logic II for movies and 7 channel stereo for news/sports.

Darryl

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I tend to listen in Stereo 7 just because I find that I don't get the bass in the other modes. Maybe it will be better when I get my new sub.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I don't have a Yammy anymore but my favorite DSP is on my HK receiver. I really like Logic 7, 7 channel mode. I have compared Logic 7 to DPL IIX and I prefer Logic 7.

On my Onkyo 502, it is DPL IIX.

David Judah

Screenwriter

Wow, I remember that one--it was the first one I had with built in DD & DTS decoders. I had that and the 995--great receivers. You must be immune to the upgrade bug.:)

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks