What's new

Attn: panasonic projector users (1 Viewer)

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
I am considering the new ae7000u, but wanted some feedback on the powered lens memory. Has anyone "stretched" an anamorphic movie with it and what are your opinions. I had a salesman say the quality is affected. Thx in advance

ronlw

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Walker
I'm not at all sure I understand your question. Blu-rays do not come in an "anamorphic" configuration the way DVD's did. Basically, a wide screen(scope) image is generated with the "black bars" on the top and bottom. The 7000 is nice in that it has a very wide angle lens that allows you to "open-up" the scope image and reduce it down for 1:85 (16:9) while retaining the same picture height. The picture is not "stretched" it is just zoomed out to make a larger wider picture. Image quality is fantastic as I am projecting a 20 foot scope image that looks as sharp as a 35mm release print on the same screen. You will be very happy with the 7000 image quality, I'm sure.

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
What size screen are you using? Gain? thx. I meant that when you zoom out (stretch the image) i was told the brightness/picture quality is affected.

BPStovall

Agent
Real Name
Ben
Also if you don't mind can you give me your room dimensions and distance of PJ from screen.

ronlw

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron Walker
BPStovall said:
What size screen are you using? Gain? thx. I meant that when you zoom out (stretch the image) i was told the brightness/picture quality is affected.
The zoom lens in the projector is fastest (allows most light through) at the wide angle position. As you zoom to a smaller picture (longer focal length) the speed of the lens lowers. One would think that a smaller picture would produce a brighter picture and this is normally true. If the speed of the lens was the same at all focal lengths this would be true. With the Panasonic, the speed of the lens drops as you zoom to a smaller picture and the brightness remains about the same as the wide angle picture. To get a brighter smaller picture with the Panasonic, one would need to leave the zoom at the wide angle position and physically move the projector closer to the screen.
Every projector puts out a fixed amount of light. The further away you place the screen the larger the picture but the same amount of light now covers the screen size, thus for a given lens setting, the larger the picture the dimmer the picture. Also the number of projected picture elements remains the same so they become larger with a bigger picture.
What any one viewer is happy with both in brightness and sharpness is a subjective thing. Only you can say if your projected image is bright or sharp enough for your viewing pleasure.
I project on the 30 ft. wall of a 30X25X12 foot room. The screen is 1.0 gain and is 10X20 ft.. The projector is in a dedicated projection room approximately two feet into the room thus allowing a 27 foot throw.
My suggestion is to set up the projector screen distance so you can use the lens at the widest angle. Any point on the zoom will give you the same number of picture elements, but only the wide angle zoom position will give you the brightest picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks