What's new

ATTENTION WARNER BROS... (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have been able to get around the interlaced transfer issue by tweaking my gear from film to video mode for just about every problem release except for the Looney Tunes set. I think that was was not simply mis-flagged, but actually mis-encoded. Thankfully, I now have the replacement disc for that one.

The one issue for which I cannot adjust my hardware that occasionally drives me batty is when they offer a short or a cartoon (always as an extra feature, to be fair) sourced from a composite master with obvious tell-tale artifacts.

Regards,

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Was that scanned one way and somehow incorrectly flagged the other way? (Which is a rather rare condition, BTW.)

Or were incorrect frames present? (Equally rare.)

Even if it was one of those errors, it's highly unlikely that it would happen again. Because that's what it was in that case: an error - not just a "bad choice" which could easily be repeated.

Cees

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

See for yourself Cees....

The TOM & JERRY replacement discs (correcting the edited films "incorrectly" sourced) look just as bad if not WORSE than what you see above, in film or video mode, and that is an issue which has never been addressed or even acknowledged!

That is one of many reasons why I so adamantly shoot those releases down on this forum, and remember that these are supposed to be REPLACEMENTS for previous screw-ups!

POPEYE BTW, DOES NOT LOOK REMOTELY AS BAD... FEAR NOT!!!

I still highly recommend THAT set and apart from wrong TV-reissue titles sourced (why is this company so seemingly incapable that nearly every animation release warrants a replacement program??) it is otherwise a VASTLY superior set to just about anything else that WHV has released from it's classic animation holdings.

Clearly however, Warner Home Video has some quality control issues to address when every other animated release has some kind of oversight, mistake, error, etc. And I hve it on inside word that these issues were discovered months prior to release and the company warned... so while I applaud their efforts in offering corrected discs to consumers, I strongly suggest they get their act together and do whatever it takes to ensure competent staff are involved in future releases.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
That doesn't look like an interlacing problem to me; it looks more like interpolation (blending more than one frame), perhaps cause by standards conversion, or perhaps by incorrect flagging for the 3:2 pulldown sequence.

If it was an interlacing or field dominance problem, you'd probably see 'combing' artefacts.

I can't really tell more than that without seeing the problematic disc in question, sorry.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Which Popeye cartoons are interlaced? I've gone through the first volume and they're all progressive from what I can tell. The only video problem I spotted was DVNR on Ali Baba.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marco,

I studied your images (post #25) with the approriate software, and I can say those are NOT interlacing problems. Or if they were, that must have happened in a far earlier stage, because there's nothing showing of it in the pictures you posted. Each horizontal line fits perfectly to the previous and the following one, even if the image in it wouldn't be what it should be.

What we see on the right images is motion artifacts. Even in normal films "moved" images like that are present between more stable positions, but if that's also what you see on screen when the movie is running, I'd say, like Julian, that two sequential images were falsely combined somehow.
However, if that's the case, there's no evidence in the picture that it were "odd" and "even" images that were wrongly combined.

If that mixing is the case, that's a serious error, which should be avoided in the future, of course.

Can you tell us which shorts it's visible on?

Cees

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I just read most of this thread. I'm looking forward to purchasing POPEYE VOL. 2, but I'm going to be waiting until we can determine what's going on, and if it's going to be corrected. Are you guys saying that some of the cartoons have that blurred "double exposed" look as in the grabs above??

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Cees, though it is odd because it's the exact same effect seen on my "replacement" Tom & Jerry discs.

The result is that artifacts become visible during motion sequences and frames are distorted with horizontal lines around moving objects. Depending on whether I switch from "film" to "video" mode on my player, superimposure and ghosting effects become visible and replace the otherwise jerky & jumpy action frames.

I had always assumed this was a case of the studio using the wrong encoding settings.

RE: POPEYE and in response to Joe Karlosi:

NO!!!

I must reiterate that what's posted above is not remotely reflective of what's seen on the Popeye set! I wholeheartedly recommend this purchase and aside from the sourcing of incorrect opening titles/orig. Paramount logos (again get your act together WB!), the set is otherwise perfect in almost every way!

To be honest, I didn't notice evidence of interlacing until playing the disc on my computer last night but 'Wimmin Hadn't Ought to Drive' is definitely one of the shorts in question as is "Hello, How am I?"

I am unable to post screen captures but perhaps someone else (Patrick?) would like to skim through these shorts on their pc and identify these minor issues.

I use the term interlacing because according to somebody involved/interviewed in the production of the release, this is what it's been referred to. And as I've known, it's been a past issue with Warners animated releases.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I should also mention that the above image captures wopuld be seen on "bob" mode rather than "weave" in which combing artifacts become very apparent. Again, this is the result (the lesser of two evils perhaps?) in switching from film to video mode on one's player settings.

What you would otherwise be seeing, is a breakup of the horizontal lines which make up the image whenever movement occurs within a frame. It is also evident when fast-forwarding or in slow motion frame skimming throughout each short.

I've noticed this on several Droopy cartoons as well, though I never purchased that set so I cannot comment further. But the TOM & JERRY DVD's are a DISASTER and just about every short looks this way. I was almost certain that during the LT recall, Warner Home Video themselves had referred to the problem in their apology/notification as an interlacing issue. Perhpas I'm mistaken though.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Most of the DVD players I own can handle the problematic Tom and Jerry cartoons and properly combine the fields for display, but a few cannot, including the DVD player on my PC. I think some players look at the flags and create the frames how they are told. Others seem to make the decision based on the encoded content regardless of the flags in the metadata. I do not own any DVD player that was capable of properly sorting out the frames on the problematic cartoons on the GAoLT Vol. 2 disc 4.

Regards,

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Regardless Ken, it's ludicrous of any company to expect consumers to mix and match and test hardware in order to accommodate proper use of their products. I have a $1,400 Pioneer Elite model and the cartoons are entirely unwatchable and the quality detracts from any enjoyment otherwise seen in these films. DVD's should be playable in equal quality on any machine and one should not have to bring them over to a friend's or family's house to screen movies which they've bought and paid for! I can't think of any other studio releases under similar context. Owning crappy and out dated hardware is one thing... but when discs perform or function as expected only on certain equipment, that's a universal problem with the studio's mastering production unit which needs to be addressed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Marco,
Nobody including Warner has said they expect you to do that in order to watch their product. Furthermore, you appear to be very defensive and it comes through with your responses to others.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
In my previous two posts, I was merely trying to point out that workarounds exist, not suggesting that anyone should be satisfied with the fact that they are necessary.

Regards,

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
wouldnt there be a visible "combing" issue in a dvd with interlacing prolems?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks