What's new

Atkins diet experience (1 Viewer)

DavidAM

Second Unit
Chris...ever thought of making an infomercial? :D Seriously though, give us the details....I'm very curious what you have to say since I have a belly to lose (need to lose about 15lbs) and most diets don't do anything for me. It seems like all the people who lose on the Atkins diet are the heavier people that drop 30-50lbs in a month or 2 and still could lose another 50. I can't drop 50lbs cause I'd be 6'1", 140lbs! And being that I'm a naturally wide/big boned guy, I can carry a little extra weight well. As it is, I'm 190-195lbs right now and would like to be around 180. Any good tips would be appreciated.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
David,

I typed all my stuff out that I could and I'm going to edit it and post it here. I want to make sure I include EVERYTHING I DID AND DO and not leave anything out.

Oh, also, just recently, I'm reading about "eating for you blood type" and although there are SOME good things in there, I don't think I'll agree totally with the "blood type diet" but its neat. There are some things that make sense. I'll be taking it all with a grain of salt (har har).

Out of curiosity, what is your blood type?

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I started the atkins diet the day after i happened to get on the scale and see 231.5....at 5'10" i was in the low 220's for well over a year and then 231.5 did it for me. I have been on for about 18 days and am down to 219...its an awesome diet and i am very seldom hungry. Diet is mostly eating egg's, chicken, tuna and cheese...but there are so many things to eat that it starts to feel normal after a couple weeks. The 3 things i miss most are chocolate chip/reeses cup cookies my wife makes, mexican and chinese food. But i have found that i can eat buffalo wings and i keep losing. I will have a mexican dinner when i get down to 210, and chinese food followed by a feew of the cookies when i get to 199. So far its a piece of cake( no pun intended)....and i am already starting to fel better.

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to interject something here...

I have been an insulin-dependent diabetic for several years. I went on Atkins and I was able to eliminate 3 out of 4 shots a day. I still have to take Lantus (the 24 hour super-long acting insulin) but I have pretty much stopped the 75/25 mix I had to take before every meal. My average fasting blood sugar is now 80-85; When I was first diagnosed with diabetes I had a blood sugar level of 504 and I blew a 15.9 on the HBA1C test (normal is about 4-5). My cholesterol levels have also gotten better. Some new medicines on the market have really helped as well. I really think that eliminating most of the carbs from my diet made the biggest difference though.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
This thread should remain about the Atkins Diet.

The Atkins diet is ok, but I prefer to simply do the following:

Eat a balanced diet, eating complex carbs and protein more than fat.
Stay away from refined sugar, bread and saturated fat.
Weight train and do Cardio exercise regularly.

To see my very rough but effective alternative DIET and EXERCISE plan from my personal experience, go here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=121217

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I have been on a low-carb diet for a little over 2 months (at the direction of my physician). I have lost 36 pounds, and 2 pants sizes (from a 48 waist to a 44 waist). Today was a goal day, as I finally now weigh what my driver licenses says I weigh. :) I started out at 306, now weigh 270, on my way to 250 (I'm 6'4" btw).

I can't believe that this diet is so effective, and yet do-able (I hesitate to say easy, because there is ever present desire for pasta and pizza and bread that must be resisted).

I have a small breakfast (usually an Atkins type breakfast bar), or an omlette on weekends and then at lunch, I will either eat at a local buffet, where I can get all kinds of meat, salad and some veggies (Green beans, brocoli, etc), or I eat at Wendy's or McD's,where I can order a couple of burgers and a salad, and throw away the bun.

At dinner, I've enjoyed steak, roast, all meat chili, soup, chicken, etc. I satisfy my sweet tooth with a sugar free candy bar (the Carb-O-Lite bars are very tasty, as are the Russel Stover Sugar Free peanut butter cups). My doctor told me that when I reach my goal weight and start the process of stopping the weight loss, I can have a "Carb Holiday" once a week, where I eat whatever I want, and then go back to the regular menu for the other 6 days. He says that is less likely to add weight than adding too many carbs in each day.

The accompanying increase in energy, reduction in arthritis pain, and overall good feeling make it all worth while. I am able to fit into clothing that has been in the back of my closet for 2 years. My doctor almost did back flips at my recent check-up when he saw my weight. Plus, I have helped 3 friends start low-carbing, and they have begun their weight loss, and are loving it!

As a friend said last night, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!"

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Chris,

While I agree that a well-balanced diet with exercise is the best way to take off and keep off body fat, I want to clear up one misconception about the Atkins diet that you and a lot of other people seem to have.

It's is NOT a NO carb diet. A NO carb diet would be very unhealthy and non-sustainable. The Atkin's Diet is a LOW carb diet. Sure, you start off taking in only 15-20 grams of carbs/day, but that's only during the 2-week induction. After that you start adding them slowly back, depending on what your body levels out at. Many people level out at 50-60/day, and some up to 100 grams a day if you exersize alot regularly.

I noticed that your program is ALSO a low carb one. No breads, sugars, pasta, etc. Veggies and fruits mostly. Well, most veggies are very low in carbs anyway, and although fruit is good for you, it can be very high in sugars too, so have maybe 2 servings/day max.

One thing that is recommended with the A-diet is a mutil-vitamin everyday in the beginning, since you will probably lack the appropriate vitamins/minerals for the first month or so.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I admit I don't know alot about the Atkins Diet as its been 3 years since I skimmed the book. I even had my keto sticks in the cupboard and finally tossed em out last week, way beyond expired. While I understand that it is not a NO carb Diet, I do recall that Atkins insists you stay in Ketosis all the time. Is this correct?

My point is that in the long term, you want to be healthier through better body composition. I think you need to eliminate or reduce saturated fats, and you should eat complex carbs and weight train to build muscle and do cardio to have a healthy heart. I simply disagree with eating the large amounts of saturated fats and staying in Ketosis. I could not exercise well in ketosis. Maybe others can. Its funny, I am Type 0- blood too, which some believe is very compatable with a high protein low carb diet.

I will say this though. I am not against trying the Atkins Diet for a few months, as long as you don't stay in Ketosis and eat loads of saturated fat for the rest of your life. I have seen many studies that professionals say the Atkins Diet is not the best because of the saturated fat in the diet. Anyways, Atkins is ok to loose weight, but I prefer my own. I really have to say that when I was 226 LBS, I could have done with the Atkins ok too. But I lost my weight through weight training and cardio. I really have very little fat to lose now, so I'll admit I am not in the same position as some who have alot of fat to drop. I still like my way, so I deleted my post here and posted my plan separate. I think this post should remain about peoples experience on the Atkins diet. I for one would like to hear more feedback.

One thing remains true. I believe that sugar, particularly refined cane sugar, and also bread, is very good at making you fat. Even back on that Atkins diet I did for just over two weeks, my mood was very even and I felt I could concentrate better. Sugar is BAD.

The link to my "plan" is in my previous post :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
congrats randy!
I'm about 6'2 and 250 right now, I want to get back down to a more normal 200. Sounds like the atkins is the way to go, since I mostly eat meat anywho. I think my big problem will be NO KETCHUP :frowning:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't eat with the Atkins diet.

So I can't eat any (or hae to drastically reduce eating) breads, pastas, potatoes, cereals or sugars.? Is this correct? What else can't I eat?

I can eat red meats, eggs, tuna, chicken, fish, salad and vegetables? Does it matter how the meats and eggs are cooked? Can I fry and bake the meats, or fry eggs?

Can I eat fruits such as apples, oranges and bananas?

What can I drink? Is milk alright? Can I drink Diet Coke? How about Orange and Apple juice?

I'd like to give this a try and any do's and dont's are always helpful.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
What can I drink? Is milk alright? Can I drink Diet Coke? How about Orange and Apple juice?
Milk is not alright, neither is any kind of fruit juice. The Atkins book says to eliminate aspartame (and caffeine, too), but many people drink coffee and diet pop, myself included.

Couple of other things:

*Limit cheese to three ounces per day.
*Drink at least 64 ounces of water per day.
*Exercise every day.
*Take a multivitamin every day.
*Take fish oil pills every day (lowers cholesterol).
*Limit carbs to 20 grams per day, at least for the first two weeks. This phase is called induction, and many (myself included) choose to extend it beyond two weeks.
*Limit dairy products (during induction) to butter, cheese, or heavy cream.
*Eat until you feel full, but not stuffed. If you sit down to a pound of bacon every morning, you're probably not gonna be happy with the results.:D
*Read all labels. Lots of food have 'hidden' carbs that you might not think are there.
*If you feel like a chip-like, salty snack, you can munch on pork rinds. No carbs at all.

Good luck!

Jon

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It's funny how many misconceptions there still are about the Atkins diet.

I did it about 4 years ago, took off ~100 lbs. So far, so good. :emoji_thumbsup:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious how you guys that lost weight on the diet eat now, do you eat about like you did pre-diet, or have you stuck to a low carb regiment? and how did it affect your weight loss?
my roommate read the entire book, and doesn't seem to thrilled about the diet, she seems to think as soon as you're off it you'll pop all the weight right back on

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Due to my success with the diet, it's obvious to me that I'm sensitive to carbs and I can't eat them like before...I just gain weight. Like before I did the diet.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Though I've only been on the diet a few weeks, from what I've read you slowly add carbs back to your diet until you reach a level where you can maintain your current weight without gaining at all. 50-100 grams seems to be the magic number for most people.

BTW what types of fat do the pork rinds have in them? Atkins is very big on no hydrogenated or trans fats, but that could be a good snack.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
The Atkins diet gets bashed repeatedly and most of the time people don't even know the details. If you're really interested, definitely get the book. It makes you believe in the diet and it helps give you the extra motivation (if you need any).

I wasn't really that much overweight, but I was 182 at 5'9" and definitely could lose some. I tried the Atkins diet and quickly found my biggest problem was the Cokes and Hawaiian Punch I pounded every day. I've now lost 35-40lbs in 5-6 months and weigh what I did when I graduated high school 12 years ago. I feel less tired...my stomach feels more settled...and I feel less hungry than ever.

Having been a sugar-holic with the Cokes, the first 2-3 days of Atkins HURT. I barely wanted to get out of bed. I was having major sugar withdrawl. Counter it with vitamins if it happens to you but don't give in. It stops after a day or so and you'll feel better than ever.

My advice.. find a diet drink you like (DietMountain Dew Code Red is awesome).. try Crystal Light.. spend a little extra on the first two week meals. Get some steaks and enjoy it. Eating salad every night doesn't feel good and may make you lose hope.

Try the Atkins advantage bars for snacks or even lunch substitutes. The choc/peanut butter are the best, in my opinion, and they really fill you up. And heed the recommendations for sugar free candy. To me there's hardly a taste difference.

Don't forget it's not a NO carb diet. Less than 20 a day the first two weeks then just be moderate from then on. I tried to stay around 30-40 every day. If I thought I was well over one day, the next few I ate protein and stayed away from carbs.

It's the only diet that ever worked for me (I'm sure others work for other people) and any diet that encourages you to pound less sugar is smart in my book.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
my roommate read the entire book, and doesn't seem to thrilled about the diet, she seems to think as soon as you're off it you'll pop all the weight right back on
I often see this posted as a criticism of the Atkins diet as if it weren't true of every other "diet".
Go back to the way of eating that got you fat in the first place and you'll get...fat. Simple enough.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
For anyone who has questions about the Atkin's Diet, visit their website. It tells you all the basics. It's no substitute for the book, but it's got a lot of information.

http://atkinscenter.com/

By the way, pork rinds are a great Atkin's snack!

Lee L

Supporting Actor
So, what are those on the diet eating for breakfast? Are the bars really good and what do you buy at the grocery store? I never tried the actual Atkins Diet but a couple of years ago I tried to cut my carbs back and I could lose about 10 pounds and that was it. My problem is breakfast. AS far as I can tell, there is nothing on the Atkins that you can take out and eat. I have had 2 cold Chocolate Pop-Tarts for breakfast most weekday mornings since I was in Middle school (probably 20 years). I want something that quick or I will end up reverting to the crack that is Pop-Tarts. Help me out people.

Do you eat out or brown bag it for lunch?

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Go back to the way of eating that got you fat in the first place and you'll get...fat. Simple enough.
Amen, Jack. That's why it's not called a diet, but a lifestyle. You have to change the way you eat. That is why so many diets fail. You simply can't continue to eat nothing but grapefruit for 2 meals a day and be happy. You have to find a diet that can be maintained.

Lee, for a "pull out and nuke" breakfast, try a microwave omlete. They taste ok, and are fine on the diet. I also like the Atkins Cinnamon Sticky Bun bar. It's has an acceptable flavor (sure, no diet things ever tastes just like a Cinnamon Sticky Bun), and gets the metabolism going.

I don't brown bag. What I do is eat at buffet's (Like Ryan's or Golden Corral), modify the food I eat at fast food by taking the buns off hamburgers, or go to subway and get a sandwich salad (all the meat and veggies, no bread, on a bed of lettuce). Yesterday, I went to McD's and ordered two double cheeseburgers, ate the meat with a fork, and also had a salad shaker.

Users who are viewing this thread