What's new

Athena AS-F1 vs. AS-B2 (1 Viewer)

MikeGee

Second Unit
I recently bought Athena AS-F1 speakers for my front main speakers on my setup. I also have an extra set of Athena AS-B2 speakers which i just bought today to compair which i like best and return the pair i don't like.
I've been listening to the AS-F1's for a couple days now and after setting the whole system up i am not THAT impressed with the F1's as mains as my B2's (price wise they are double)
I wanted the F1's figuring they'd give my subless setup a bit more oomph but the bass they make is no where near what i'd like.
I am wondering if anyone could help me out figuring out the best EQ settings for the F1's on my Pioneer 1014.

Current settings for the front mains are:
40 hz : +5.5
125 hz : +3
250 hz : +1
4 khz: 0
13 khz: -3
Trim : +2
Set to Large

Am I crazy or would having 6 AS-B2's and a sub be much more rewarding system than 4 AS-B2's and 2 AS-F1's
Thanks for your help guys!

RyanJE

Second Unit
You can keep the F1's if your budget will allow, in order to get your desired bass output a subwoofer is a must. If you cant fit the sub in your budget along with the F1's definitely get the sub and 6- b2s. This is all assuming your mainly into HT. AS for your EQ settings MCCAC should determine those automatically. Unless your highly advanced I wouldn't try to adjust those my self.

Just as an example, I had 8" towers for my mains and a subwoofer. I recently sold those and got 2 6.5 bookshelves upfront instead. For HT use you wont lose any low end impact with a subwoofer between the two.

My logic is, I was in search of better quality fronts since I let my subwoofer take care of the low end. I realized the towers were actually quite useless.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd definitely go w/ B2s and a sub over F1s w/out. F1s are rated to 40hz, B2s to 50hz. While neither probably make their rated frequency response, the difference is small enough that the price difference put towards a sub would give you much more impact, especially for HT.

MikeGee

Second Unit
I use this setup for 99% movies/tv, i never listen to music (unless i'm breaking in the speakers) Either the Athena's or the 1014 are kinda crap for just regular audio, however HT is another thing.
Only thing i really seem to like more about the F1's is i find the tweeter is much more pronounced than the B2 tho it could just be due to the tweeters perfect height to ear level.
Looks like the 6 B2's are staying.

RyanJE

Second Unit
For Ht the 6 v-2s and a sub are the way to go. Definitely having the tweeter at ear level will have an impact. The tweeter shouldn't sound much different if there at the same height. Also have you calibrated speaker levels with the MCACC? If the fronts are more efficient they may be playing louder by default which would make them sound more "pronounced".

How do the EQ settings for the B-2 mains compare to when you have the F1 mains set up?

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
Mike to be fair you should break the speakers in before judging. Remember that Athena recommends 100 hours I believe. I have the AS-F1's and enjoy them a lot. I agree that they need a sub but I think that is a must regardless of the speakers. My reasoning of going with the AS-F1 over the AS-B2 was that I would have to purchase a nice pair of stands that would cost me at least $100 to go with the AS-B2's. Don;t need stands with the AS-F1's :D

Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy. Save up for a nice sub.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
As far as bass, the F1's certainly are better than the B2, although even the F2's don't obviate the need for a sub if you want to reproduce what's on many DVD's (not that it won't sound really, really good). Placement is key.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"although even the F2's don't obviate the need for a sub"

I'll agree with that, the F1s are B2s with built in stands and slightly lower extension.

OH, the F2s handle bass quite well, cross them over at 50hz and they sound great with even a moderate subwoofer.

Brent

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
"I'll agree with that, the F1s are B2s with built in stands and slightly lower extension."

Well not exactly... The B2's have 6 1/2' woofer and the F1's have 8" woofer. Personally I've only heard the B2's in the store so it's hard to really compare but the F1's sound quite a bit better IMO including having better bass.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ken, but I was speaking in generalities, I know the line up quite well.

Brent

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
That seems like an odd generalization for someone that knows the line up well. In fact they are 2 very different speakers. About the only thing they have in common is the tweeter and the styling.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Yup...here's my front stage with F2's, an F1 center, and an SVS PB10 (a bit better than "moderate" ;) ) sub. All are run as "Small" for DD/DTS, but I run everything as "Large" for SACD/DVD-A. I've since installed a He-man IB sub in the theater room, but the PB10 hasn't run and hidden yet. :)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"About the only thing they have in common is the tweeter and the styling."

I loved being schooled!

The point isn't the exact driver complement, oh forget it!

Jack; looks great!

Until last week I was running F2s, c1, and Atoms for the rear. Last week I picked up a second pair of F2s and I was contemplating what to use up front. I was thinking the C1 can't keepup with 4-F2s. I was going to throw F2s across the front and use 1 for rear centre and keep the Atoms asa surround L/r but then I'm worried about them not keeping up.

I decided to go with F2s front and rear, stick with the C1, and use the Atoms as rear centres. I think it makes more sense since the Atoms won't get as much action as the surround l/r speakers will. I just wish the C1 was a little more like an F2 for a centre.

If I can find a single F1 for a centre I MIGHT go for that.

I'm not using a sub in your caliber, just a sub based on the 20-39 but using a DPL-12 from Creative Sound. Sounds great, but doesn't move things very much, could be the concrete floor though.

Four F2s and I still haven't decided about my crossover settings. Most people will push for the "small setting" , but I think 2 F2 will keep up pretty well with a large setting and only the dedicated frequencies going to the sub.

Brent

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
LOL @ Brent

OK that's enough. We both have Athena speakers and seem to like them. My set-up right now is:

AS-F1's up front
AS-C1 centre
AS-R1's in the rear