1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

At the Mountains of Madness - del Toro Speaks

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Julie K, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Guillermo del Toro talks about his ideas for an adaptation of Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness.
    Lovecraft is hard to adapt to the screen. The wonderfully nihilistic elements in his stories send big studios and audiences who want a nice feel-good or life-affirming pictures screaming in terror. I think del Toro has the right ideas:
    I can hardly believe my eyes - a Lovecraft adaptation set in the proper time!?! I feel faint.
    Of course, the studios won't like it so we'll probably never see it. But damn, wouldn't it be nice?

2. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

If LOTR can be done, anything is possible. Let's keep our fingers crossed.[​IMG]

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Julie,

I met del Toro at the Lake Placid Film Forum back in June and he was very enthusiastic about this project. He was also one of the friendliest celebrities you could hope to meet. His knowledge of horror literature was pretty complete - he knew almost every reference thrown at him by the crowds.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of his films - though THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE was very, very good - I think he's a great choice for a Lovecraft adaptation.

4. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

At the Mountains of Madness is probobly my favorite HPL story, but I'm not sure how well it can be adapted.

For one, I don't think typical movie watchers will believe there is a large, undiscovered, ancient city in antarctica, unless the movies ends with it being covered by a blizzard.

But then again, thats probobly why del Toro didn't want to set it in present time. People would say "why havnt satellites discovered that city?".

Plus, I'm not sure its possible to get the 'Lovecraftian-mood' just right. I have a feeling it will end up looking alot like "The Thing".

5. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I have soaring expectations for this movie. It's my second favorite Lovecraft story right behind The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. If he can get this right, del Toro will instantly enter my personal pantheon of movie director gods.

6. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I don't think it'll be too hard to do. Great story and probably it won't end up seeming too like The Thing as in this case, we have explorers looking for trouble (if you get my drift), whereas The Thing is just them getting a heap of trouble put on them...
    I like the sound of it, though!![​IMG]

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

If this is done right it won't be too much like The Thing. No one confuses "Who Goes There" with "At the Mountains of Madness" do they?
    Besides, as great as the creature in The Thing is, a shoggoth is going to be ever so much cooler. [​IMG]
    I haven't seen any of del Toro's movies (but The Devil's Backbone is on my list of movies-to-see) but just judging by his words I think he's the best one to do a big budget Lovecraft movie. He certainly seems to "get" Lovecraft.

8. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I've been unimpressed by del Toro (The Devil's Backbone did nothing for me, it's hardly the ghost story/horror film it's touted as), but I'm thrilled to hear news of Lovecraft done period. I hope he's intent on keeping the language as well, I SO want to hear a character describe something as "exceedingly singular in nature".

9. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Screenwriter

10. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann

11. Laura Nicholson

Laura Nicholson Stunt Coordinator

Resurrecting a really old thread... :b

Has there been any news about "At The Mountains Of Madness"? As a relatively new Lovecraft fan, I think this would make an awesome movie, if done right. Anybody know anything new?

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Screenwriter

I believe it's exactly as it was when Del Toro initially started talking about it. He estimates that he's going to need a decent budget to do it but no one in Hollywood will give him the money unless he puts out at least one really big hit. His next two movies are Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy 2, which means he's probably not going to be making that huge mainstream breakthrough any time soon.

13. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Julie,

Didnt u see Hellboy?

14. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    IT'S COMING!

LOVECRAFT.
    Del TORRO
    CAMERON Producing!!!!

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/08/james-cameron-talks-about-avatar-re-release-sequels/

15. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

IMDB shows his next film to be Frankenstein ...not that IMDB is the end all say all of accurate movie info. ;)

16. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Dark Horizons and somewhere else I cant remember also recently reported Mountains as DelToros next project.

I adore Lovecrafts work, but this story never really did much for me. Also read James McAvoy and Tom Cruise are the 2 actors DelToro wants.

17. SWFF

SWFF Screenwriter

Shawn Francis
    I'm a big time Lovecraft fan, of his fiction and some of the movie adaptations, and I simply can not wait for this to come out!

18. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    This could be amazing! Del Torro certainly understands the Lovecraft vibe, it's all over the Hellboy movies. Can't wait, I just hope it's in regular 2D.

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    DAMN!!!

I was hoping it was going to be "The Haunted Mansion". He'll do it right, unlike the 2003 film which was utter crap.

20. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

I thought he was only producing The Haunted Mansion?