What's new

Assessing the studios (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I think he's referring to the mythology collection releases also.

I think Fox should just do a nice 199.99 box set with all the bonus discs that are now out of print as well as a 2-disc edition of the movie and call it a box set (similar to Mash and Buffy), I know that sucker would sell

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Jay B, I don't think you got what I was talking about- instead of splurging on yet another X Files set, Fox should reach into their vaults to give other series (like the ones I mentioned above) a try. That show is ALREADY on DVD- time to give other Fox titles an opportunity!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I think Michael has nailed down the companies perfectly. Paramount is the king right now. I do give Sony a little thumbs-up for their unpredictability. I rather like that... the way they throw us some unexpected curve balls every now and then. My biggest disappointment of late has been how WB hasn't followed up after last June's really nice releases of "Cheyenne" and "F Troop." I thought surely by now they'd have served up a few more examples from their vintage library.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

But The X-Files is already paid for, so they can release it countless different ways and spend very little money. It's a bit unfair to say "you could have released (unreleased show) instead of (show that's already out)" because there's a massive difference in costs to do so. They don't spend any money on mastering, transferring, marketing or extras when they rerelease something like The X-Files - they just spend a bit of money on packaging, and the normal costs to replicate DVDs.

Gord

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

this is so scary... we see eye to eye for once. I actually do like WILAY, it's a nice guilty pleasure series, but Warner has so many other shows in the vaults that would do better on DVD (WILAY was cancelled due to being the lowest rated series on television). I mean, Warner won't give us Kotter seasons or Night Court season 2, but What I Like About You is a surefire hit?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Gord, from what you've told me, it seems that Fox is unwilling to take a chance on the relatively untried shows on the home video front, instead relying on repackaging stuff that's already there at litlle to no cost to them, while insulting buyers who would like to see more vintage titles from the Fox catalog. Perhaps they should learn from Sony and Paramount and even Warner Brothers......

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Paramount is the king of tv dvd sets now and the other studios better catch up if they want to stay in the game. I mean Fox could be done with the Bob Newhart Show and the Mary Tyler Moore Show this year but they are holding back. What is the slowup? But they take the time to release Anything But Love-an obscure title to be sure. Not that there is anything wrong with that show. And Universal and Sony are just sitting on future seasons of some of their shows like Who's the Boss, Barney Miller and Kojack and Adam-12. And Warner Brothers needs to start pumping out Knots Landing, Night Court, Murphy Brown and Alice. And Cheyenne. I love that show. I had never seen it before I picked up the dvd on a whim. Two shows I would love to see are The Courtship of Eddie's Father and My Three Sons. I think the next three years will be good ones for the oldie tv dvd market because more people are getting used to the format now. I think that is what did the first season of the Mary Tyler Moore Show in-among other things but that was one. I love Paramount right now because they have released Mission Impossible and in March will release Hawaii Five-o. Awesome. This month Paramount gets all my money because of Mission Impossible, Gomer Pyle(this is a very nice set-well done),the Andy Griffith Show and Hogan's Heroes. But like I stated before these other studios better catch up or take their marbles and quit. I don't think these other studios have the guts to take on Paramount. They are whimps in my opinion(just bottom of the pond bean counters). No guts, no glory and no money. I have upgraded my opinion of Universal because they are releasing more Rockford Files and Murder She Wrote on single sided discs-the way they should have been in the first place but they get a raspberry for not releasing more Night Gallery and Quincy. Paramount has left the other studios choking on their dust!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Paramount is the winner for 2006, as far as I'm concerned, because they wasted absolutely no time in exploiting their Aaron Spelling acquisitions, in turning out 90210 and Melrose Place so soon. True, both sets were a little lackluster, but I think they'll please their fans. And with rumors of Dynasty, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley and Mork & Mindy season two sets coming out (FINALLY), I'd say that Paramount is pretty much giving us what we want. Let's hope they keep it up and release at least two seasons per year for all these shows. (And I can't imagine any of them not selling, because the six of these are some of the most famous tv shows of all time...!)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
"I'd say that Paramount is pretty much giving us what we want."

Well, there's still the matter of those aborted Nickelodeon Rewind sets...

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well I suppose if I was, at age 41, interested in Nickelodeon dvds, then I would have reconsidered my comment.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I agree, 2007 looks like a great year for Paramount even though I do wish Taxi would finish already, but I'm glad to get more Happy Days, Mork and Laverne

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I would have to agree with everyone here. Paramount's the best, followed by Buena Vista/ABC and CBS, then Warner Brothers and Universal trails everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks