What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (4 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching the Spanish DVD of Bengal Brigade (1954) with Rock Hudson and Arlene Dahl which I assume was intended for wide screen exhibition. It's a full frame transfer and I zoomed it to about 1.85 and it looked good. The transfer was a bit on the soft side but eminently watchable.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Whoa. The first paragraph about the history of big bands was enough but then I learned that only five films were released in widescreen in 1953?

At that point, I had read enough.

Boy, there sure is a LOT of wrong information on-line!

From our website:
On April 18, 1953, Boxoffice reported that Universal was analyzing the 3-D and widescreen trends and any new productions were put on hold. Studio personnel were asked to take their vacations in May. Filming resumed on June 3 with BORDER RIVER and THE GLENN MILLER STORY. The studio had now adopted 2.00:1 as their house ratio and all future productions were composed for widescreen. This policy was applied to shorts, cartoons and newsreels as well.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thomas T said:
I just finished watching the Spanish DVD of Bengal Brigade (1954) with Rock Hudson and Arlene Dahl which I assume was intended for wide screen exhibition. It's a full frame transfer and I zoomed it to about 1.85 and it looked good. The transfer was a bit on the soft side but eminently watchable.
BENGAL BRIGADE began filming on February 6, 1954 (as BENGAL RIFLES) and the correct AR is 2:1.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Bob Furmanek said:
Whoa. The first paragraph about the history of big bands was enough but then I learned that only five films were released in widescreen in 1953?

At that point, I had read enough.

Boy, there sure is a LOT of wrong information on-line!

From our website:
To be fair to Gary he wrote that in 2003, and at the time that was the common belief. I'm sure if he was emailed about it he would make an updated clarification after these 11 years.

EDIT: Actually it looks like that review was written by Henrik Sylow, but still.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
haineshisway said:
Glenn Miller story just released overseas - full frame.
How ironic! I just watched my DVD of The Glenn Miller Story this very evening for the first time in many, many years. The DVD for Region 1 was 1.85:1. Was it zoomed?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Bob Furmanek said:
Yes, I believe it is zoomed in a bit. I tried cropping it to 2:1 and it was too tight.
I figured as much. The grain seems a bit more pronounced than usual and a couple of the compositions at 1.85:1 seemed a bit too close for comfort.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Universal was/is particularly bad with image manipulation in telecine.

I tried watching an off-air copy of their first 2:1 film BORDER RIVER and it wouldn't even matte to 1.66!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
haineshisway said:
Glenn Miller story just released overseas - full frame.
In that case, I won't buy it. A pity: I was hoping to add this one to my collection.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Matt Hough said:
How ironic! I just watched my DVD of The Glenn Miller Story this very evening for the first time in many, many years. The DVD for Region 1 was 1.85:1. Was it zoomed?
Censored or uncensored version? ;)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I believe the German BD has two versions:- Shorter, 4:3, also English audio.- Longer, 1.78:1, no English audioI can't confirm this, though.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I've just posted this in another thread and the information is worth repeating. Somebody was claiming in a review on Yahoo to have seen A HARD DAYS NIGHT in the standard ratio when shown first-run in 1964. Personally, I don't believe it.

The belief that 1.37:1 was still exhibited after theaters converted to widescreen is a long-standing myth that has now been dis-proven with research and period documentation.

There is no documented evidence suggesting that theaters retained the ability to run 1.37:1 after the transition to widescreen to 1953/54. They would have had to keep their old lenses and aperture plates as well as the capability to mask the image for the old ratio. That's highly unlikely as once the new screens and masking were installed, there was no intention to go back to a significantly smaller image with the standard ratio.

Some theaters retained the ability to project newsreels in the standard ratio for a few months after the transition but that changed quickly as well. By 1954, the newsreel camera viewfinders were modified to allow cameraman to compose for widescreen.

In September 1954, Merle Chamberlin (Director of Projection at MGM) stated, "All of the studios are convinced that the old 3/4 picture is gone and the wider aspect ratio is here to stay."
Robert A. Mitchell was a leading authority on all aspects of motion picture projection and technology. His monthly technical papers for International Projectionist led to the 1957 publication of “Manual of Practical Projection,” an essential book containing the very best of his extremely detailed articles.​
In June 1956, he stated the following: “The trend toward wider-than-normal theatre screens is now so well established that the conventional 4:3-proportioned screen has become a rarity. Only a few theatres have retained the normal screen when wide screens are used for CinemaScope projection, and almost none have changed back to the standard aspect ratio after giving non-anamorphic widescreen pictures a fair trial.”

As a comparison, if you do research on theaters that switched to sound in 1929/30, there is no indication that any theater that wished to remain competitive went back to running silent films.

How many prime-time TV shows were broadcast in black and white after the changeover to full color on the three networks in 1966?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Furmanek said:
I've just posted this in another thread and the information is worth repeating. Somebody was claiming in a review on Yahoo to have seen A HARD DAYS NIGHT in the standard ratio when shown first-run in 1964. Personally, I don't believe it.
It wasn't Steve was it. :lol:

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Bob Furmanek said:
There is no documented evidence suggesting that theaters retained the ability to run 1.37:1 after the transition to widescreen to 1953/54.
I could have sworn The Wizard of Oz was in 1.37:1 when I saw it in the theater last year.

---------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks