What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It's VERY refreshing that Ned Price and his colleagues do not let mise en scene fantasies and five decades of full-frame TV memories cloud their thinking.

They let the original documents tell the story!

Sabrinab.jpg
Sabrina.jpg

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Okay, do you really believe Criterion had A HARD DAYS NIGHT formatted, compressed, and thousands of Blu-ray copies ready to go at 1.66:1, and they suddenly changed their minds THIS PAST WEEK and redid everything at the last minute and are still on course to meet their release date....

OR PERHAPS the original press release had the aspect ratio wrong and that's the only thing they changed?

Vincent

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Something to remember - this is also appears to be getting a near-simultaneous UK release. Presumably the discs will be very similar in content and they'll almost certainly be using the same master - you'd have to guess the aspect ratio was discussed trans-Atlantic.

Unless the Criterion ends up 1.75 and the UK 1.66.

Steve W

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
Am I the only one who knows that it's a 180 and not a 360? :)
It's a common mistake made by many including myself, several years ago during a passionate work-related discussion which I was immediately corrected by some dork engineer. :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Speaking of 1.66 vs. 1.85, screen caps have finally been posted of Young at Heart, and Olive decided to go with 1.66:1 for this one. I'm not sure if Bob has already posted any documentation on this one or not.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Vincent_P said:
Okay, do you really believe Criterion had A HARD DAYS NIGHT formatted, compressed, and thousands of Blu-ray copies ready to go at 1.66:1, and they suddenly changed their minds THIS PAST WEEK and redid everything at the last minute and are still on course to meet their release date....

OR PERHAPS the original press release had the aspect ratio wrong and that's the only thing they changed?

Vincent
On February 6 in a private e-mail, a producer at Criterion told me they were going with 1.66:1.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Bob Furmanek said:
On February 6 in a private e-mail, a producer at Criterion told me they were going with 1.66:1.
Now I'm extremely confused!

Are we saying they're still going with 1.66:1, or have you heard that they've changed their minds? At the moment all we have (as far as I'm aware) is the change of a couple of digits from 66 to 75 at the AHDN page at Criterion.

Maybe we won't know until the disc appears.

Steve W

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
Mark-P said:
Take That's Entertainment as an example. While the majority of clips are presented OAR, some of the montages cropped images for artistic purposes. And there were also at least 3 clips where they started out in the original 1.37:1 and then zoomed to 1.78:1 for effect. The instances I remember are "On the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe" from Harvey Girls, the rodeo number from Annie Get Your Gun, and finally the ballet sequence from American in Paris. Who am I to say, "how dare you alter the image!"?
This was done to show what the films would have looked like in 70mm. I saw the film at the Cooper Cinerama in MInneapolis. The moments where image opened to full 70mm were thrilling! The first instance was the wedding cake spectacular from "The Great Ziegfeld." Narrator Frank Sinatra says "this is what it would look like today if anybody could afford it," as the screen opened full 70mm width.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
I've been browsing the Sight & Sound digital archive these past few days and came across this eye opening article from the Q1 1955 issue:

http://i.imgur.com/wgG5Bo3.jpg

There were some pretty vocal hold outs it seems. I almost laughed out loud when I saw page 125: turns out our beloved pastime of sticking some frame lines on a 4x3 still to show how it would look in widescreen is something that debaters have been doing for nearly 60 years!

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Does anyone know the OAR for Not As A Stranger? I was watching it this week on MGM HD in 1.33:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks