What's new

[ask] camera for my sister (1 Viewer)

next month I plan to buy camera for my sister's birthday, what is the appropriate camera for her as a beginner, whether DSLR or mirrorles,
w.png
my budget maximum of $ 600 US, please help recommendation type camera, thanks for your advise

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For both threads...same answer.I've never bought a camera for somebody without them present.Cameras vary in button placement and onboard features. I have large hands. Ergo...I hate tiny buttons.My first camera was my father's hand me down Canon ftb. My first new camera(when I went off to film study as a hs summer program) was a Pentax.Why?It felt great in my hands.It doesn't matter how great a camera is if it doesn't fit your use.Give them both a gift card...and go with them.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The reply Sam is giving you implies that you take your sister to the shop. That may involve giving her a "note" as the actual present on her birthday.

If for any reason you cannot do that, you will have to make a decision yourself.
If you can you may still want to know which cameras to have her look at first in that shop, even if she would eventually choose another one.

It makes a lot of difference whether you (and your sister) choose a DSLR or not. For a starter (and pretty long to be used after that start), I myself would think about the Nikon D3100/3200/3300 (the first one is still available in shops and a fine camera, the last one has been announced shortly ago).

If you choose a compact, or a "system camera", other posters may have suggestions, I don't feel confident enough to advise you about those.

Cees

Cees Alons said:
The reply Sam is giving you implies that you take your sister to the shop. That may involve giving her a "note" as the actual present on her birthday. If for any reason you cannot do that, you will have to make a decision yourself.If you can you may still want to know which cameras to have her look at first in that shop, even if she would eventually choose another one. It makes a lot of difference whether you (and your sister) choose a DSLR or not. For a starter (and pretty long to be used after that start), I myself would think about the Nikon D3100/3200/3300 (the first one is still available in shops and a fine camera, the last one has been announced shortly ago). If you choose a compact, or a "system camera", other posters may have suggestions, I don't feel confident enough to advise you about those. Cees
i dont have enough money for d3300, i think d3100/d3200 best choise, thanks for your advise

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The D3100 is considered an excellent DSLR camera, especially for a beginner, and in most countries at a very attractive price.

But... she may like a compact better. Or an iPad.

Cees

Cees Alons said:
The D3100 is considered an excellent DSLR camera, especially for a beginner, and in most countries at a very attractive price.

But... she may like a compact better. Or an iPad.

Cees
jrdnlc said:
Get her a Fujifilm x100S.
Michael_K_Sr said:
D3100...excellent entry-level DSLR.
w.png
She want a camera with lens can be replace or change

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Gaptek Edan said:
She want a camera with lens can be replace or change

That's a DSLR.
(Or a "system camera", which is also called a mirrorless camera. But I really cannot bring myself to advise you to buy that for her. Someone else may, however.)

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Congratulations.
A little beauty. If she doesn't have much practice yet, she would probably be best served setting the dial on top right, to the green "Auto" position.
(Then read some about photography, practice a lot and set it to "P(rogram)". Then: even more sophisticated.)

And perhaps one day then, we read about her as a celebrated professional photographer. :)

Cees

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Dave Moritz said:
Good choice
Maybe. The more I think on it the more I come to believe that buying anything more advanced than a digicam for an aspiring photographer as a gift is a bad idea. At best you will do what happened here, get them a mass market 'safe' choice that may or may not meet their actual needs. Worse you could buy them something that they have no interest in actually learning how to use.

If you are lucky you will get them something that inspires them, but that comes at untold costs that they are now resposible for, not you. The 'box' of the camera is just the tip of the spear. To make it sing you need: Knowledge, experience, talent, time spent becoming familiar with it. And then the software: Editing, backing up and printing. And then the anciliary hardware: printer, editing computer, backup gear, calibration tools, monitors, bags, lenses, toys and accessories. And then hundreds of dollars a year in prints.

For a lifetime.

=)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Sam,

Very true in general, I think.

But in this case she specifically asked for an interchangeable-lens camera, apparently, so probably she knew what she was asking for. Or willing to take the next step.

Cees

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
True. One thing I forgot to mention about DSLRs is they are a -commitment-. What do I mean by that? They are like carrying around a brick. A anchor with a diaper around it to use Gallager's imagery. It's way more convenient to have a phone in your pocket, a digicam on a rope or even a mirrorless in a small bag than it is to lug a DSLR around all the time.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Neither did I.
But ever since I have a granddaughter, it appears to be necessary, once more. The other grandparents wanting a little album devoted to her. A niece making something nice for the parents, etc.

Almost as if a photo not printed isn't a real photo. :)

(And using digital printing services, I let it print slightly bigger than I used to in the old days.)

Cees

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
It's weird, I take a ton of photos each year, but I seldom print many of them out. :D
Me either. Any prints I order are usually enlargements to hang on the wall framed. I never print 4x6 photos like in my film days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks