What's new

Asian Cinema on DVD (2 Viewers)

KevinCH

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Chan
Hello, folks! Seeking some info from those with the knowledge and this forum topic looks a likely place to find an answer.

As intro, like many of you I'm a big Jackie Chan fan. Have seen over 30 of his films (most recently Snake in Eagle's Shadow - didn't find it up to par with Drunken Master or Fearless Hyena, although the fighting is good I prefer when he uses weapons or props, and of course historically interesting as his first stab at comedy) and have about half that many on VHS. Have been itching to get his movies on DVD (Asian uncut & undubbed prints naturally! :) ), so there's the big learning curve I'm sure everyone has gone through about which versions to get & which to avoid, etc.

Then I came upon this box set of 45 discs, which on surface looks perfect for someone like me who has none of his movies yet on DVD. My question is, does anyone here have this? What can you tell me about it? Such as: good video transfers? Decent subtitles? Widescreen? Uncut? Crappy knockoffs? Incompatible discs? You don't have to write a dissertation, but I'd be very grateful if you can give me SOME idea of the quality of this set because there is ZERO info about it online. I'll spitshine your nunchucks in gratitude for any info :D

Next up for me, Dragons Forever! Yep, still haven't seen that one, you better believe I'm stoked
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
KevinCH, that's definitely a huge pack of bootlegs. Unless the seller is confused about what is on the discs and for some reason messed up the listing (Languages: English Subtitles: English/Chinese/Off), stay away. That's the big tip-off. Most of those movies don't have an English dubbed version.

It may be tempting to get all those movies for that great price, but you don't know what you'll get and you may get nothing at all.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Just to add to what John said, this set lists the audio as English only. Any thing that is uncut would probably contain chinese as a language.

Earlier in this thread I was referred to

www.dddhouse.com
and
www.asiandiscs.com

Really good selection at both sites, and pretty good prices. As for the link you provided... If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

tyler payne

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
On a seperate note I went back to look at those Criterion versions of The Killer and Hard Boiled and they are definitly bootlegs. The cover images are correct, but I was right about the banner across the top. It is a banner that is about 3/4 of an inch thick and says Criterion Collection. I guess I should follow my own advice about things being to good to be true.

Just to get a reaction from the guy, I told him that I think he got played because the covers are different than what theuy should be. He kind of shrugged as if to say I don't care. Maybe the guy knew, maybe he didn't.

Ian, I apreciate your information. Once again The HTF has come through for me.

tyler payne

KevinCH

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Chan
Thanks for the input thus far (Tyler, John). Confirms what I sort of suspected deep down - for instance, why don't any large retailers have it in stock? Maybe that seller has his facts wrong about the audio because they certainly should be in Chinese, but after all shouldn't the seller really know what they're selling? You're right, the signs are rather suspicious.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

Also to get that many different studio properties in one box would be near impossible. Especially the Rush Hour, and Shanghai movies.

Tyler: To bad about those boots. I am constantly scouring pawn shops and used dvd places hoping to find those. I don't have the Criterion Killer and I constantly kick myself for not buying it when it first came out. I guess we can only hope the Weinstien'$ don't ruin the film when they put it out.

Also if you need The Myth you can try this site: http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

--Ian

--Ian

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
It's been a long time but I thought it was the right time to bump this thread with the upcoming Dragon Dynasty releases of some of the classic Shaw Bros. titles such as 36th Chamber of Shaolin, My Young Auntie, One-Armed Swordsman and King Boxer along with the Shaw Bros. releases from Image.

Here is a comparison review from DVD Beaver of 36th Chamber of Shaolin and the DD release looks great.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcom...6thchamber.htm

Who would have guessed that the Weinsteins will be treating their Asian releases on R1 with some respect?

Also I have seen Election and Election 2 at the Canadian Best Buy from Panorama and was wondering if anyone had purchased this release? Just wondering how's the PQ and sound.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I'm really looking forward to those DD titles, I have liked their other releases so far, most recently Above the Law and Shanghai Express.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
I have all of the DD Shaw titles along with Above the Law, Shanghai Express, Born to Fight and Police Story II coming next week. Good thing that my vacation is coming up in order to catch up with all of the above movies.

So far it seems that DD has only failed to live up to expectations on the Police Story I and II releases in regards to PQ and Audio.

I didn't purchase their versions of Infernal Affairs Trilogy since I have the Mega Star release so I don't know how those compare to the Mega Star versions. Although I have read reviews online that have indicated that on the IA trilogy boxset, the original Infernal Affairs is the R1 Miramax version that was released earlier and not a remastered DD release.

Do any of you purchased the R1 Image Shaw Bros. titles? I have most of them but the PQ varies from title to title.
I have to say that I'm pleased to have a R1 copy of "Legendary Weapons of China". That's a great movie!

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
How come I haven't found this thread earlier?
I'm only wanting to buy the Dragon Dynasty releases for both Police Story I & II ONLY for the extras. I already owns the IVL/Fortune Star R0 Trilogy set.

I own the Mei-Ah digitally remastered release of Hard-Boiled. Isn't there supposed to be a 2-Disc release coming soon from DD?

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
BTW, in regards to this thread, whatever happened to my fellow Canadian Brian Thibodeau?

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I am catching up on the Dragon Dynasty releases. I am disappointed that ABOVE THE LAW will only have one version. The old DVD had two versions. It was a little more of a difference than just an extra few scenes.

As far as the KILLER goes, here is everything I know about it.
http://www.loveandbullets.com/killerdvd.htm

That being said, I have to update it a bit.

For HARD BOILED, I hope the Dragon Dynasty is good. I watch the remastered Mei Ah version when I watch it now but it's not perfect. The Criterion was too dark. Here's some comparisons:
http://www.loveandbullets.com/hardboiled.htm
http://www.loveandbullets.com/Hardboiledmarm.htm

Don't be fooled by uncut or extended versions. There is a very slight difference that only a hard core completest would want to pay to see. I actually watched the regular version and Taiwan edit side by side. Basically, the major differences are :
  • Voiceover explaining what the gas is when Tequila and Tony are in the Hospital
    Different editing of Hospital scenes.
    Some cuts are just slightly longer.
    No extra scenes.

It appears that Dragon Dynasty also has the rights to BRIDE WITH THE WHITE HAIR. I can't wait for an anamorphic version of this one. There was one from Austalia but I never got around to ordering it.

Matt

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I own THE KILLER via the IVL/Fortune Star John Woo Hero Collection 2-Pack with A BETTER TOMORROW.

Here's a low resolution image for the Ultimate Edition 2-Disc for HARD BOILED.

I'm presuming I can now retire my Mei-Ah release. Will it have the original language with good subtitling? Do these carry the original sound mix track? I really don't give a shite about English dubbing.
I'm still going to purchase the 2-Disc version of Bullet in the Head released from Joy Sales/Fortune Star, of course.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
These titles have been announced or are rumoured to be released by DD:

Hardboiled
Last Hurrah for Chivalry
Crime Story
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin
City of Violence
Dragon Heat
Tai Chi Master
Hapkido
The Shaw Brothers’ Collection (titles TBA)
Fist of Legend
Dreadnaught
The Bride With White Hair
Story of Riki
Dragon Tiger Gate
Shaolin Temple

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Slightly off-topic but HARD BOILED is playing in New York City in June 23rd. I already odered tickets. It's supposed to be John Woo's personal print. I strongly recamend anybody in the area go see it on the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks