What's new

As promised, the Top 12 Movies I Hate But Everyone Else Seems to Love (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I personally don't see why you can't have both. If you hate "great" movies that's fine. If you prefer crap movies from Ed Wood, that's fine too. You can be a snob and a film bum so I can't stand when people try to pick one side of the fense. I love PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP, ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES and ATTACK OF THE 50 FT. WOMAN but there's no way I'm going to call these great movies. Great entertainment sure but at the same time I don't mind people rating them a BOMB or something in that field. At the same time I love the classics, the films that should be celebrated as the high mark of their profession.
Just because something is fun doesn't make it a good movie. This could go for that S&S list or any other list of great films but I think people have a hard time seperating their "favorite" movies and those that they consider the greatest. Again, I love Ed Wood and he's one of my favorite filmmakers but he's not a James Whale or a John Carpenter. I love Russ Meyer but he's not Billy Wilder.
I'd say BATTLESHIP got attacked for its budget. Those actually watching the film seem to enjoy it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott /t/322917/as-promised-the-top-12-movies-i-hate-but-everyone-else-seems-to-love/60#post_3966323
I personally don't see why you can't have both. If you hate "great" movies that's fine. If you prefer crap movies from Ed Wood, that's fine too. You can be a snob and a film bum so I can't stand when people try to pick one side of the fense. I love PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE, HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP, ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES and ATTACK OF THE 50 FT. WOMAN but there's no way I'm going to call these great movies. Great entertainment sure but at the same time I don't mind people rating them a BOMB or something in that field. At the same time I love the classics, the films that should be celebrated as the high mark of their profession.
Just because something is fun doesn't make it a good movie. This could go for that S&S list or any other list of great films but I think people have a hard time seperating their "favorite" movies and those that they consider the greatest. Again, I love Ed Wood and he's one of my favorite filmmakers but he's not a James Whale or a John Carpenter. I love Russ Meyer but he's not Billy Wilder.
I'd say BATTLESHIP got attacked for its budget. Those actually watching the film seem to enjoy it.

I think "Battleship" got attacked a) for its origins, and b) for its resemblance to "Transformers". I don't recall budget being an issue in terms of criticism - most people were just put off by the fact it was (ever so loosely) based on a board game, and the fact it looked like a "Transformers" retread didn't help...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.