What's new

As if the Warner debacle wasn't enough!! (1 Viewer)

Kenny Foor

Stunt Coordinator
Let me get this straight, they can see a mass slaughter take place on Omaha beach, but they can't hear any foul language? That's absurd. They can have multiple wives but they can't have any foul language. I just can't understand that one. I'd offer the Mormons a beer but they can't have that either.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Members,
If you can't discuss this issue without taking shots at the Mormon religion then I will close this thread. Please, stay on the subject at hand! Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I don't really mind this that much. Why? Because it's only one store (they can call it a club as much as they like) and because it's in an area where people are apt to think things like this are fine.
What bothers me more are so-called "moral" groups who pressure Hollywood to do this sort of thing from the start, ie censor their films so that they can be watched by anybody. SPR without any violence, anyone? Showgirls without the sex and with the girls wearing flannel underwear? Gangster movies where he protagonists say "heck" and "golly"?
If you're making Pokemon, then it's supposed to be gag-inducingly sweet and clean. If, however, you're making SPR it's supposed to be gut-churningly violent and disgusting - because that is how it is designed to be.
As long as nobody starts influencing the studios etc to start "softening up" their fare when it shouldn't be softened up, I'll be a happy camper. What some marginal store off in Utah decides to do really doesn't matter to me.
------------------
/Kimmo

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have already suspended those individuals
who brought religion into this discussion. To
get your access back, email me.

------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Kenny Foor

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, you're right, we shouldn't have brought religon in to this thread and it wasn't right for me to post the comments that I did. If I offended anyone, sorry that wasn't my true intentions.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
It's a Narrowing of the Horizons for all those exposed to these watered down versions of films.
To amputate elements of a film deprives the viewer of the 'fealt' and emotional impact of a film.
They may as well close they're eyes and not even watch the film. Perhaps this would be the best solution.
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on August 18, 2001 at 05:53 AM]

Richard Freeman

Auditioning
I for one would like a way of editing movies of language, violence, and sex scenes when I need too (like for young viewers and myself for that matter). Why can't studios make a DVD with alternate versions on it. Say one version a sanitized G or PG version and the other the PG-13 or R version for those who want the theatrical version. I thought DVDs were supposed to have this capability. Think this is called seamless branching. It should not cost much or use that much space. It seems like this would make everyone happy.
[Edited last by Richard Freeman on August 18, 2001 at 06:41 AM]

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
quote: , he picked up a copy of "Gladiator" to take home, without the naked butts and vulgar language of the original film.
Clean Cut Videos edits movies to remove profanity, sex and gory violence for a mostly Mormon audience here, where many church members abhor Hollywood's idea of entertainment.
"I believe that we're corrupting society with the things that we use for entertainment," said Cronin.
"It was so refreshing to see a movie" without the profanity, he said. "I felt so good afterwards." [/quote]So how long was Gladiator without profanity, nudity, violence, incestuous overtones (maybe they left those in?
wink.gif
), etc.? 20 minutes?
biggrin.gif

quote: I felt so good afterwards[/quote]Indeed.
This is so laughable, and so pathetic at the same time, that I can't even figure out the twisted value system behind this logic.
Viva la difference! I guess...
rolleyes.gif

Todd
[Edited last by Todd Hochard on August 18, 2001 at 06:50 AM]

Craig Crane

Stunt Coordinator
ah! Live and live. It doesnt affect the way YOU watch movies, does it? If they wanna cut stuf out, let them. The airlines have been doing it for years...
------------------
Link Removed

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Just like in South Park, except now this group is doing it. "Horrible violence is alright, as long as no one says any naughty words."(Loose Quote)
I can't imagine a film like Goodfellas without the swearing.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I recall last year "The Daily Show" actually had a correspondent go down to the video store in question and interview the owner. It was absolutely hysterical.
Like all segments on "The Daily Show" the interviewer was asking the owner questions with a straight face but was basically making fun of him. They then showed clips from a modified Saving Private Ryan; all the swearing was replaced with incredibly bad overdubbing and the storming-the-beach scene lasted all of 5 seconds. After that they showed modified clips from something like Basic Instinct, which was nothing more than the opening and end credits.
laugh.gif

(BTW, I'm sure "The Daily Show" crew was responsible for the re-edits of SPR and Basic Instinct; I don't think the store goes that far with their editing. But the basic point got through: don't screw around with somebody's art.)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Scott,
When you say this guy "owns" the videos, do you mean he bought the copyright in them? Or did he just cut out the copyright warnings, as well, meaning that they just don't apply to him. What these people are doing is copyright infringement, it is not fair dealing or fair use. However, as he's paying for the videos he butchers, Hollywood could probably care less.

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I don't see why some of you are opposed to companies in Utah selling edited cuts of movies. These sort of versions are already edited and pan&scan showing on TV all the time. Sheesh, go complain to HBO and Showtime that they always show their movies in pan&scan why don't you. I mean who really gives a hoot since the original versions are readily available?? I can understand if some people want to watch "clean" movies even though what they really ought to do is just research and pick up originally "clean" and GOOD family movies.
And hey, South Park was wrong!!! just look at Fist of Legend and Legend of the Drunken Master. 100% kick ass Jet Li/Jackie Chan action, 0% sex, profanity. Both rated R.
[Edited last by James_M on August 18, 2001 at 07:07 PM]

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
OK, found that "Daily Show" segment. THIS is the actual guy who runs the store that has caused all this discussion. Very funny clip.
Go here: http://www.comedycentral.com/timewasters/dl_general.jhtml?show=ds
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
That Daily Show clip was hilarious.
If I was a filmmaker, I would be totally pissed off if a person was editing my films to make them family friendly. If I was going to make a family friendly film, I'd make a family film... not an action, dark comedy, gross out comedy, serious drama, horror, war film and so on.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

GaryEA

Second Unit
"I felt so good afterwards."
Okay, I can understand if someone would prefer not to hear profane language, or to see nudity or violence. I can totally understand that.
I'm not going to pretend to understand the mind set where film with such adult materials removed would make you "feel good". That's just me. If these people mentioned in the article want to take advantage of a video store chain that edits their inventory for them... great. I guess.
As a former film student, I'm just surprised the studios and film makers, admittedly in a awkward position on this, have not said anything more.
George Carlin could have a field day with this article. But that's just him.
-g

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks