What's new

Arrow (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Terrific finale. A lot of shows kill off characters to prove "anyone" is vulnerable, but the character they kill off is always exactly who you'd expect. This finale, the people I thought they'd kill off survived (well, except for Malcolm) and a person I thought would survived died. And not comic book dead, real incontrovertible dead.Oliver had to fail, otherwise there would be no more series. He came back to stop this thing from happening, although he didn't know it at first, and if he had he would have put away the bow and hood and lived happily ever after with Laurel.But by failing at his singular purpose, it means that his mission becomes open-ended -- he'll spend the rest of his able-bodied days trying to make up for this failure.At the same time, it wasn't a total failure. I always admired the ending of Deep Impact because it was a realistically imperfect solution; it was neither the best nor worst case scenario. A lot of people are alive who would have died because of what Oliver, his mother and Oliver's team accomplished. The damage was half as bad as it would have been. Their efforts weren't in vain, they just weren't enough.I quibble a lot about the shortcuts the show takes, some of the more iffy performances, and some absolutely terrible dialog. But the plotting on this show is expertly done. Every episode builds off the last, and the show regularly surprises me.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just finished watching it, and WOW. Very good finale.Of course, what is interesting, is tonight's episode of Mythbusters is about Earthquake Survival.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was very surprised by those who appeared to die (one can never be sure until the series resumes in the fall). I had read there would be some deaths, but I hadn't picked those particular people to die.

Looking forward to the new season in September.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I really enjoy this show. While not perfect, it is consistently entertaining and I always look forward to it. The finale was great! Looking forward to next season. (But I can't help think that we need to hear about why the show is so terrible from someone who doesn't like the show but watches anyway for some weird reason. Because, isn't that what the Internet is for?) ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that bugged me was the "Glades", as it kept reminding me of the "Narrows" from "Batman Begins". But solid season finale for a show that I wasn't sure was going to survive its freshman year, glad it did.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I think now that the "undertaking" was partially successful. I can see Oliver becoming more what Diggle wanted...A protector of all of the people...Not just to go after the names on the list.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well then...they spent a chunk of money on that finale. The show has always looked good, but there were a lot of explosions, action and honest to goodness excellent production values. As much as I enjoyed Smallville, that show always looked just a bit cheap. It was a very quick 40-ish minutes and dagnabit...I felt something in the final minutes for a character I didn't particularly like.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
As much as I enjoyed Smallville, that show always looked just a bit cheap.
Smallville, did have its budget cut. But, I do remember when they went to Metropolis in the early seasons it was filmed in downtown Vancouver. But, in the later seasons when the show moved to Metropolis they filmed all the street scenes on a studio lot and it looked like the same two streets...it looked like a tv set.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
True, early on they filmed on location a lot. But as the series continued, when the budget got cut, you could tell. All the regulars weren't in every episode and the action sequences felt perfunctory. This isn't the case with Arrow. This show costs a pretty penny for the entire season. There's a large main cast who are in nearly every episode, compelling action sequences and the entire island storyline. And this finale felt bigger than anything before. I almost thought they had cut corners early in the season to save money for this one, but I couldn't remember anything that felt "cheap."

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, this as a finale was very un-CW like. Frankly, I'm going to miss the combo of Arrow/Supernatural which I thought made for a great night for CW.. but I know they will scramble things around. Out of all the freshman shows this year, Arrow is the one I think of most as a show that succeeded out of the 2012 rookie season and should have a nice long run.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was really dubious about the show in the early going, to be honest. Liked it, but it was never "must watch" viewing. It's gotten that way since January for me. And I really, really hope Susanna Thompson is back next year...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Season 2 Poster:
arrow_season2_poster1.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting that new series regular Emily Bett Rickards is right up front along with David Ramsey while original series regulars like Katie Cassidy and Willa Holland are pushed to the deep background. It would seem to hint at more of a focus on the Oliver/Diggle/Felicity crimefighting team and maybe less of a focus on Oliver's personal life.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have read that Oliver focuses less on the list names and becomes more of a hero al la Green Arrow. Also, the Flash will be introduced for a few episodes. Which will lead to a spinoff.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Adam Lenhardt said:
It's interesting that new series regular Emily Bett Rickards is right up front along with David Ramsey while original series regulars like Katie Cassidy and Willa Holland are pushed to the deep background. It would seem to hint at more of a focus on the Oliver/Diggle/Felicity crimefighting team and maybe less of a focus on Oliver's personal life.
I hope that's true. Oliver's love life was, for me, the least interesting thing about the first season, and Steven had no chemistry with the actress playing Laurel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks