What's new

Arrow (The CW) (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
A nice pickup from where we left off. I really like the way they are playing Oliver and that is helping the storyline for me. I even thought his sister, which has been a weak portion of the show for me had some good moments.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The sister seesaws in merit for me. This week, I didn't find her disagreeable (though if she's REALLY supposed to be a teenager, she seems unbelievably mature for her years). But I agree that making Oliver imperfect and harboring doubts on occasion (plus seeing his persona on the island) is very appealing. He doesn't have all the answers.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think the actress that plays the sister is one of the more talented cast members, they writers just don't give her anything worthwhile to do. The worst actors have been Laurel's co-worker, who was just written out, and Laurel's father -- whose range extends from gruff and vaguely pissed off all the way to gruff and loudly pissed off. I was glad the beat down Oliver took in the midseason finale had consequences, and I'm glad they took the time to explain why this brush with death was different than all of his brushes with death on the island. After "Smallville" put twisted itself in knots trying to avoid being a superhero show, I'm also happy that "Arrow" is unabashedly a superhero show. The little genre touches like the hidden passageway leading to the secret lair make me smile.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Adam Lenhardt said:
If they go in the direction of the comics...
...she'll eventually bottom out with her substance abuse and Oliver will be the one to get her back to sobriety. In the end, she'll end up as his sidekick Speedy.
LOL, that would be something to see. Or, she becomes either Artemis/Arrowette/Red Arrow.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
So, another super villain is born. It'll take a little time to get thoughts of his Lincoln Lee character from Fringe out of my head. Thea again a pain, and we didn't get to see the change-of-mind scene where she becomes agreeable to the alternatives to jail.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Man, Seth Gabel just tore through the scenery tonight, didn't he? And I love that the girl from the IT department is now moonlighting in chemical analysis. Some of the corners the show cuts are hilarious. On the other hand, I liked the final scene, realizing that Thea was right and mom isn't so squeaky clean after all.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Enjoyed tonight's episode more than I have in quite a while. Loved Manu Bennett in the island scenes, and only a tiny bit of Thea which made me happy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but the dialogue and some of the hamfisted exchanges between the characters leave me cringing through most of the episodes, but the plotting is very solid. The writer's room does a really good job coming up with the twists and turns, it's the execution that's wanting. At least Laurel's new coworker is a better actress than the first one. That leaves Paul Blackthorne as the only downright terrible series regular. The final scene alone of tonight's episode was worth the price of admission.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Catching up a little bit. Enjoyed Seth Gabel's homage to Joker last week. Happy to see that the show is developing a series of antagonists for Oliver Queen that can return on an infrequent basis. Lincoln Lee last week, and Sark this week; at least in former incarnations. Manu Bennett is an interesting addition to the series. Crixus does indeed prefer the sword. :) It is probably just me, but Katie Cassidy just gets prettier and prettier as I watch this season. (Yeah, its just me. :) ) - Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I read about the renewal and was not at all surprised since this show is the most popular thing the CW is broadcasting at the moment. Glad it'll be around for another season.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I guess it was time for an episode set mainly on the island. It had a good amount of interest, and nice to see Oliver beginning to make some progress in his training. Still don't trust Oliver's mother; his allegiance seems to sway for and against every other week.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by MattH.
Still don't trust Oliver's mother; his allegiance seems to sway for and against every other week.
She was the Borg Queen on Voyager. Of course she can't be trusted!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping for more follow through on the Oliver-Moira front than him basically sticking a pin in it. The island stuff is pretty great and really sets the show apart from others, but it does have a bit of a "Gilligan's Island" aspect to it; are they going to get on the plane and make it off the island? Of course not; we saw how he got off the island in the pilot. The tensions comes more from: what's going to screw up this time. I would bet money that Oliver's little sister is the next series regular to find out the truth about his double identity. I would bet equal money that Laurel's the last series regular to find out.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I would bet money that Oliver's little sister is the next series regular to find out the truth about his double identity. I would bet equal money that Laurel's the last series regular to find out.
I would agree with Thea being the next to discover Oliver's secret, but I'm not sure about Laurel. I'm kind of split on whether Laurel or her father will be the first (of that pair) to discover the secret. I really liked the Island portion of tonight's episode showing some of the events and decisions that help forge Oliver's character and transform him from self-absorbed playboy to altruistic vigilante. The (dragon?) tattoo was the big tease tonight that provides foreshadowing of some sort of linkage between Oliver and Yao Fei's daughter. - Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I would bet money that Oliver's little sister is the next series regular to find out the truth about his double identity.
...but now I'm glad I didn't, since Tommy had that honor. Whatever faults the show has, it sure does move. Two major revelations in one episode.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I loved the action tonight. Just pausing supernatural for a second to go run and get food, but this combo for CW, of Arrow/Supernatural is just a great block for me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great episode tonight, and I agree that the combo of Arrow and Supernatural is a very effective one for the CW.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So, how are they going to shoe-horn in Roy Harper into this incarnation of the Arrow lore? Though Thea has the nickname "Speedy", wonder how they'll transfer it over to Roy.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
So, how are they going to shoe-horn in Roy Harper into this incarnation of the Arrow lore? Though Thea has the nickname "Speedy", wonder how they'll transfer it over to Roy.
Well, Colton Haynes will be a series regular next season, and I'm sure he'll be taken under Oliver's wing, but I'm not sure he'll end up as the sidekick. I think it's just as likely that something horrible happens to him that puts Thea on that path.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks