What's new

Arrg!! Water Damage! (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dave:

Since the projector got soaked and the fact that it is a very sensitive electronic device I would highly recommend that you replace it. The remainder of your equipment should be fine since they didn't get covered with or set in water.

Glad to hear they are going to replace the dry wall and carpeting.

It is a funny thing that sometimes a disaster is the best thing to happen to you. As much of a pain in the ass that this has been for you the payoff in the end will probably end up being something that you have wanted to do anyway but couldn't afford to.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
That is the way I am trying to look at it. Bigger screen, better projector, more seating, etc..

Mark Un

Auditioning
Some of you are very pessimistic concerning homeowners insurance. I ask that you not stereotype insurance companies and adjusters. Any insurance company is only as good as the adjuster that you are currently working with. I've known many good adjusters, and I've known several adjusters that were less desirable. I guarantee you though, that you'll know a bad adjuster within the first 5 minutes of a meeting. Any yes, I used to be an adjuster.

Drobbins, you've had some very unfortunate events occur; however, it appears that you've remained open minded, are listening, and have a positive attitude. A winning combination! Even though I haven't cared for the tone of Parkers comments, his last paragraph rings true. The beginning and the end of these types of events are emotional. The first being the disaster, seeing something you've built and made destroyed. The end is usually something better that what existed to begin with.

As far as the restoration project goes. As previously mentioned, carpet can be saved and put back, actually in some instances, better than before. Many, many things to consider when to replace or not. Essentially it comes down to several things. First and foremost, as mentioned, is the policy. Unfortunately, many people do not understand what they are paying for and hear wild stories and have grandiose expectations. But essentially, can the item be repaired and put back to "pre-loss" condition and for how much. Then, what would it cost to replace. If the item can be reliably repaired, it's simple math. Generally, I agree with most comments made here. If the projector was soaked, there would be no way a reasonable person would expect it to be repaired and repaired reliably. It's not the carpet, sheetrock or personal property that bothers me in this, it's that you mentioned the built up platform and trying to drill holes and save. From my experiences, it's very difficult to dry under platforms like this. Not that it can't be done, just difficult. OSB likes to swell when wet; my question, was it cost effective to try to dry? It sounds like repairs are well underway by now. Best wishes and good luck with the repairs. I'm hope you found a good contractor that works well with you.

We know where someone's motive is here, but Parker, man, have you been wronged in the past or what? Such negativity. My best advise if you don't feel something is right. Obtain all the facts, then ask. If you still have concerns, as with any company or industry, there is always a manager or supervisor. Speak with that person, but remain calm, polite and level headed. But, and the key here is, be persistent! Parker, the Missouri Dept. of Insurance (MDI)usually requests a copy of the policy from the insurance company. All the consumer has to do is fill out a simple form, give basis for complaint and MDI will request a response and file documents from the company. They will typically review for "good faith" and statutory requirements. They do not typically review for damages, i.e. repair vs. replacement. Every state is different and has different requirements. Most people don't need an attorney to interpret the policy. The fact is, if the policy is ambiguous or "grey", the insurer must give the benefit to the insured. If you do happen to get the (bad) luck of the draw and get a less than professional adjuster, have supporting facts, and the damages warrant it, it may be worthwhile to consult with an attorney. Be careful and specific with what you want/need them to do. They don't come free.

My comments is just that-comments, based upon personal experiences of 13 years in claims adjusting. There are many good sources from the web and from various state departments of insurance. Again, best wishes on your repairs!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Mark,
I agree that each insurance company and adjuster is different. I am trying to be patient. It has been 19 days from when the house flooded and I still don't know exactly what they are going to repair or replace yet. :frowning: I tried calling the adjuster all day yesterday with out any luck. When I do talk to her, she seems fair and concerned for us.
Last Saturday I tore down all the sheetrock in the theater and found gallons of water still in the ventilation ducts. My daughter stepped on carpet nails twice over the weekend. I don't understand why some things can't get started while the others are worked out. I imagine that when given the go ahead, it will take up to a week to get the contractor scheduled and carpet ordered.
The Insurance co is asking me to prove that the equipment won't last its full life. How can I? Can they prove that it will? It obviously wasn't designed to have gallons of water run through it for hours on end. Well I got a letter from the local electronics shop stating that he found corrosion and there is more that can effects its performance. We will see what will happen.
For now I am spending time designing the new theater and my wife it looking at the new carpet and stuff for the upstairs. I just want to get things moving. My stereo isn't even hooked up. I know as soon as I do I will have to take it apart to move the furniture again. Maybe I should and things will start to happen.
:D

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
drobbins:

Just wanted to let you know that we will have a very special price on the Toshiba MT800 that is the same as the Infocus 7205. I can't say the price right now but I can say that you won't find it at this price anywhere else.

I will keep you posted when this starts up.

Parker

Mark Un

Auditioning
Drobbins, 19 days is long enough to at least know what direction you should be heading in. Once the mitigation is completed and everything dried out, you shouldn't have to wait long to begin the next phase, restoration. The experiences I've had is that the adjuster prepares their estimate which should be representative of the damages. They give estimate to you along with a partial payment (full payment for "replacement cost" is provided once the repairs have been completed), you then pick your contractor. Either provide your contractor with a copy of the ins. co. est. or just ask for the contractors estimate for comparison. Either way, you need to know exactly how much the repairs will be for yourself. If the contractor is higher than the ins. company, you'll need to let them know before beginning repairs to avoid prejudicing your claim. Even before getting the ins. co. est, you can be in the process of getting your own estimate.
I saw your note before about the flex duct possibly having water and was wondering. I would ask that the flex duct be included in the estimate to be replaced.
Many adjusters are hard to reach as most field adjusters have limited time behind a desk, but they should return calls in a reasonable amount of time. Sounds like you've been patient. If after no response, don't hesitate in calling their claims office and asking for her supervisor. Calmly explain the situation, particularly the part of kids stepping in debris.
As far as proving electronics are damaged, sounds like you've done the perfect thing. Have an expert write a statement on what was actually found damaged in the component, and then what else additionally might be found damaged if repairs begin. Again, it's economics. If the component can be repaired for $200 and replaced for $500, guess which way they're going to go? Most electronic placed I've seen will give a repair estimate, then state that additional damages may be found and price of repair cannot be guaranteed (then a statement that they do not recommend repairs). The burden of proving damages/value to contents is the policyholders, the burden of proving damages/value to structure is the ins. companies.
Also, just a tip. The ins. co can't pay you for your inconvenience, but they can pay you a reasonable amount for any work you do that's not included in the repair estimate. It's often overlooked the time a person spends moving furniture in/out, cleaning after construction and in this case, hooking up electronics/calibrating. I know from experience, this takes time!:D How much would it cost for the ins. co. to pay a technician to come in and run wires, make all the correct connections, calibrate, etc... It may be worth your deductible, then some?
Again, I've taken the liberty of making some assumptions regarding coverage (policy) and made generalized comments. I'm not in KY, and there may be differences there.
Best wishes

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Well I got a hold of her today. She has been busy in Louisville after that last set of storms went through. She said that she would have something together by tomorrow. :) So far things sound good for replacing the items I feel are needed.
Question - Mark :D
My leather seating got drenched. It was 3 months old and we paid about $2,500 for it. The leather is not the same. It is not smooth anymore and wrinkles are showing. The one seat it looks like some of the fluff is out of place. In all honesty they still look great though. But they do not look 3 months old! If I were to find them at a clearance sale for half that price I would buy them with out second thoughts and be happy with them. Like I said though, they do not look 3 months old, or worth the full price. They look about 2-3 years old. How are things like this settled? It is a little arbitrary. I can not point to something and say "look here is damage" what are your thoughts?
You talked about the inconvenience - We are getting new carpet and the walls repainted, Now my wife wants me to re-do the whole house :frowning: I think I will be very busy this summer!

Mark Un

Auditioning
drobbins, Sounds like my wife, new carpet leads to new paint, which leads to new wall hangings, which leads to new furniture....when does it ever stop???????? I am very fortunate though, she "let" me redo our basement family room into a home theater without so much of a murmur. And even let me decorate it. Good thing I have good taste. One day I'll have to post some pictures to brag a bit.
On the sofa, you have several options. Fist, you need to explain that it's not in the same condition that it was prior to the loss. Just bring it up when discussing other contents. If she hesitates, again, be polite, but firm. It's a loosing battle for her as damages to such items are so objective and did she see it before the loss? Once she agrees with it, then ask her what your options are. Again, making assumption on your coverage, but here should be two options.
1. They pay you the cost of a new sofa (no depreciation d/t age), you then buy a new sofa and they will pick up the old one and they will sell for salvage. Keep in mind, that once they agree to pay you to replace it, if interested in keeping the old one, you can certainly make them an offer to buy it back, typically at a fraction of the cost. They would probably rather sell it back to you, then to arrange to have it picked up, then sold. They will be paying fees for this as well as commission to their salvage vendor, so will be better off selling it to you for a bargain. Since so new and in good condition, I'd offer 25-50% of new. If they don't accept, what have you lost? Price for a buyback is very negotiable.
2. Just negotiate what you feel is a reasonable loss in value to it. Commonly referred to as appearance allowance, although some don't like to refer to it as such. Compromised settlement, whatever they want to call it.
I feel like I'm betraying someone, but I'm not. This is all information they should be giving you, sometimes you just have to ask. Again, I don't know anything specific to KY, but don't be afraid to ask your adjuster questions. Besides, if anything with thick upholstery/fabric got saturated (sofa, Mattress, foam pads, etc.) there really shouldn't be any question about replacing it. They are extremely difficult to dry thoroughly and as such, mildew and the related awful smell renders it useless (except for maybe a kids playroom :D ).

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I had thought about buying the seats back form the insurance co. Part of re-doing the house is she wants the theater bigger :) so we will need two rows of seats. All want in some $$ left for bigger speakers and a sub amp or a SVS or both.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I finally settled things with the insurance co. (I think). Being as they took so long, I did much of the work myself and am using the $ that the contractor would have gotten to upgrade. They said the water filter is faulty and are going after the manufacturer. I requested joining them so I can re-coupe other losses that the insurance does not cover, like the deductible and time off work etc..

In the upstairs, they covered replacing the vinyl in the kitchen & upstairs bathroom, carpet in the living room, hall, stairs & one bedroom, and painting the steps area & hall. They also covered replacing some sheet rock in the steps. I did the sheet rock and repainted the hall, kitchen living room, stairs and bathroom. We also added new curtains in the living room and carpeted the other 2 bedrooms.

Downstairs, they covered replacing about 85% of all the sheet rock, including the ceilings, and all the carpet and flex duct. I am doing all the work down there though. I took out all my frustrations with the insurance co by tearing down all the sheet rock and the wall between the old theater and playroom. I totally gutted the area except for one wall. We filled a 20-yard Dumpster with it all. I paid a contractor to get rid of a column that was in the middle of this space. With this gone, we are making a larger theater, instead of having 2 rooms. Our old theater was 12’ x 14’. Our new one will be about 14’ x 23’ allowing for two rows of seating. The old theater had a 92” screen and this one will be about 112”. I am also upgrading my front speakers to JBL E30s and I bought a BFD to control my bass.

We negotiated on the leather seating. They gave us 2/3rds of what we had paid for them 3 months earlier and we keep the seats. They also covered many other smaller items. The projector was the main sticking point. After many rounds with them, they said that they would not replace it. We requested arbitration. They said that it would cost them more for the arbitration than for the projector, so they wrote a check for the projector. Thank you PlasmaDocs for the great deal on our 2nd 4805! :emoji_thumbsup: :star:

All totaled it was about $15,000 in damage. With the upstairs finished, I am able to work on the fun part – the theater! :) So far, I have all the framing completed, wiring run, and ½ of the insulation and sheet rock completed. I hope to finish that today. I hear rumors that I can get the spackling done for under $300. That is a bargain compared to troubles it is for me. I will post more pictures when it is completed.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Only one concern from quickly reading the list...

the column that was removed: was it's load redistributed, or was it just removed? Usually, they're there for a reason... :eek:

I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but an event like this can be truly traumatic, but it can also, in the long term, do great things for you.

Leo Kerr

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I was wondering why my living room had more bounce to it :D
Yes, the contractor re-engineered the main support. Previously there were 3 - 2x10 nailed together supporting the main floor joists with columns every 10' or so. They built 2 false walls on each side of the main beam to support the floor while they took out the main beam. The new one is a 2x10, 1/4"thick steel plate, another 2x10, 3/4" plywood, then another 2x10 all sandwiched and bolted together. Each end is supported by about 6 -2x4s nailed together in the wall. My main air duct runs right next to it. The whole thing is 33" wide and hangs down 11". I boxed it in and I will mount the projector upside down on to it. The front row of seating will be under this because the 2nd row will be on a riser. That would leave only 6' from the floor to the duct. A little low on head clearance :frowning: , so the 2nd row aisle is on the back side of it. The theater is made for sitting anyway.
I agree with the long term idea. The insurance company paid to remodel the whole house

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
I've been following your situation. Glad to hear the insurance mess is finally resolved. Good luck in finishing your theater.

David

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Would love to see some before and after pictures. Keep us up to date. Glad to hear that you got your projector replaced and that your HT is actually going to be even better than before.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks