1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Arrested Development Ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Thi Them, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Well-Known Member

Did anyone else see it last night?

I thought it was great and very funny. It took me a while to realize the main character was Jason Batemen. Next week's episode looks hilarious.

~T

2. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Well-Known Member

Arrested Development is so Hillarious. I was laughing so hard and there are two many funny things to mention. It has become my favouirte new comedy of the season along with Happy Family & Run of the House.

3. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Well-Known Member

I saw it and loved it. You can't go wrong with a cast that includes Jeffrey Tambor, David Cross, and President Andrea Garcia-Thompson from PCU. I just hope it fares better than the equally brilliant Andy Richter Controls the Universe did in the same timeslot last year.

My favorite moments were Jason Bateman trying to explain to his family the definition of a "job" and Portia De Rossi attempting to cry. Twice.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I can't remember if I set up one of my VCRs to record this show last night, so I may or may not be able to comment on it later tonight... It's in a very bad timeslot for me.

5. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Well-Known Member

I only saw the first couple minutes because the football game shifted everything on Fox back about 20 minutes (couldn't they have just joined the rerun Simpsons in-progress and get things back on track?), but from what I saw it was funny. I hope they do an encore presentation.

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think last night's Redskins/Cowboys game may have put the first nail in the coffin. Hopefully if they're doing a repeat again next week, they'll sub in the Arrested Development pilot for another Simpsons repeat.

Sort of like a weekly, west coast Tenenbaums. The characters started out a bit too broadly sketched, but by the end of the episode there was some genuine emotion going.

I love Ron Howard's narration too.

Only a couple laugh out loud moments for me; them being when David Cross's character boards the gay rights protest boat, Portia De Rossi getting nailed by the Jewish Defense League for her anti-circumcision movement, and Jeffery Tambor going "Oh shit" when Jason Bateman informs him that there's no law that says a husband and wife can't be prosecuted for the same crime. I got a chuckle when the Funkes were fleeing their hotel room, too.

Having them all living in the attic of the model home should be interesting, as a bunch of rich eccentrics used to having the freedom money brings all confined to a small space. Should be good for the family building dynamic, too.

Easily my favorite new show of the year. That probably means it's even more doomed, but I'm quietly optimistic.

7. Craig S

Craig S Premium
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I really liked this one as well - I found it fresh & funny. Even the names (Maebe, "GOB", George Michael...) are funny!! It has now been granted the ultimate honor of a Season Pass on my TiVo... [​IMG]

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

9. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Well-Known Member

It was great. Excellent cast and some damn good writing. Good to see Jason Bateman again and David Cross and Jeffrey Tambor were great as expected. Hope it continues to be this good.

10. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Well-Known Member

There were some funny bits but it needs to pick up the pace a little. Hopefully, the exposition required in the pilot episode is behind them and there will be more nonstop pacing in future episodes.

The sister trying to cry was a classic moment. "Damn, I used to be able to do this". Another favorite was "No, I'm not gay. How many times must we have this conversation?", a perfect throwaway.

Promising series, I'll give the pilot a B- and watch again next week.

11. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Well-Known Member

I watched it last night on tape. Really funny show. I dont know if it will go over most peoples heads.
    Like the san francisco Chronicle said, so funny it's doomed.

I hope people tune into it. It might be a good match with Simpsons/Malcome and the Middle type of humor.

Here's an exerpt of the article....

There hasn't been a network show this funny since "Andy Richter Controls the Universe." Hey, wait a minute. Didn't Fox air that -- and cancel it? Didn't "Andy Richter" end up in the dustbin of humor history (with loads of other really good Fox series)? Must we temper our enthusiasm with the caveat that a show as brilliantly defiant of the sitcom rules as "Arrested Development" is asking for the Nielsen gods to smite it? Isn't there one honest person at Fox who will spare the ax on a show that, in a mere 22 minutes, wipes out the laughless hours wasted on everything else this fall? For God's sake, we're a desperate horde of wretches. Let us laugh with stupid abandon. Let there be a counterbalance in the world to "Good Morning, Miami."

12. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Well-Known Member

doug zdanivsky
    I agree, I thought it was very smart and well-paced, good characters.. Hopefully it'll be a hit and not go the way off other funny shows like Family Guy and Andy Kauffman Controls the Universe..

13. John_Lee

John_Lee Well-Known Member

Good point about it being too good to last. Especially with all the A- list talent. Sadly sure to fall to another bargain basement "Celebrity: Who Farted?" reality show.

14. DougWright

DougWright Well-Known Member

As to padding your vcr to record this show, I did not bother because when Futurama was on they just screwed it over for football, so I assumed a show at 10:30 was safe. I see they did not do this to king of the hill, so what has Mike Judge got over the fox executives? And why does Matt Groening not? I love how matt poked fun of fox for airing treehouse of horror in Novemeber.

I only saw 15 minutes of AD, but I expect to like this show a lot, so as most people said, it probably won't last.

15. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Well-Known Member

Easily the funniest new show this year.

- David Cross crying in the shower
    - "Remember our hair back then? What were we thinking?"
    - George Michael's light bulb when the waiter served bananas flambe.
    - "There's a dead dove in the freezer. - You didn't eat it did you?"
    - "No touching!"
    - "Did you set the storage facility on fire? - Oh most definitely."

Let's hope they don't give it a premature death. it was the only laugh out loud show during Fox's "Laugh Out Loud Sunday"

16. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Well-Known Member

Fox is now being sued by an Atlanta hip-hop group (split up for several years, just now getting back together) for using the name Arrested Development:

Yahoo article

[​IMG]

Chris

17. Thi Them

Thi Them Well-Known Member

Tonight's episode was not as good as last week's, but still very good. My favorite part was Jobe trying to throw the letter into the sea. It was pretty funny when the preview for the episode in two weeks, which I assume wasn't real, showed him putting a rabbit into the sea.

~T

18. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Well-Known Member

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Well-Known Member

Technically, since the hip-hop group is not in the same market as the TV show (music vs. television), I don't think they have a case.

Last night's show was great. The funniest part was when Michael opened the bag in the freezer and said "what was I expecting."

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden