What's new

Around The World In 80 Days (1956) (1 Viewer)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
One of my favorites, still waiting to see on Blu-ray. I do trust Warners to do a decent job when we see it.

I hope to have it play the Stanford Theater soon. David Packard owns an archive dye-transfer print and matching full coat magnetic sound track. Takes you way back...

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I see a comment of someone asking TT at facebook if there will be more roadshow releases after Exodus, and TT responded "Yes".
Also another one later, asked if any of those roadshow is in Todd-AO and they said "they're working on it".

Could Around the World in 80 days be coming for its anniversary?
I would certainly hope so!

Of course other possibilities could be Doctor Doolittle and Star!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I see a comment of someone asking TT at facebook if there will be more roadshow releases after Exodus, and TT responded "Yes".
Also another one later, asked if any of those roadshow is in Todd-AO and they said "they're working on it".

It won't be Around the World... That's a Warner title and is unlikely to be licensed to anyone.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex

My assumption is Dr Dolittle as it's been released in other markets via license (Australia).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Around the World in 80 days has been on the TCM HD channel. It looks a lot better than the DVD so, a Blu-ray may be released.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Has anyone asked TT about The Alamo in the last month or two? The MGM HD Channel is showing The Alamo on March 4th. The preview certainly looked like HD to my eyes

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Per TT The Alamo is not coming from them. Criterion? Kino?

if MGM indeed did a quick and dirty scan of some 35mm elements or even the short version then I doubt that a company like TT or Criterion would touch it - too much controversy.
MGM should have the guts to release it themselves and put their name behind whatever they did.

So I just checked MGM HD. A 3 hour time slot for a supposedly 3 hours 12 minute version of The Alamo? I guess we will find out soon what they have but if the time slot is any indication it is not the roadshow version!

John Stockton

Second Unit
No.

The film requires a ground-up restoration, which has nothing to do with home video. Once 4k data files exist...

If it can happen I would love to see a full analog restoration of the original Todd-Ao elements in 70 MM 30fps. The film being a travelogue is made for such images.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I am pretty sure that this won't happen. What made 70mm so great back in the days was the fact that everything was printed directly from the negative - this isn't possible any more for ATWIED.
I think we could still get a filmout to 70mm but to what purpose? In that case one could just as well stay in the digital realm.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
We're running out of time for a 60th Anniversary celebration (typed with a bit of sardonic wit).
Still, it's interesting to read from The Widescreen Museum how the sound for the 24fps 35mm version ( I'm guessing the version most people saw) with 4 track magnetic stripe was sort of a 1950s version of Dolby EX (6.1), minus the .1. With use of the Perspecta Integrator, it was possible to split the surrounds into 3 channels: left, right and rear, since the front channels were discrete 3 channel stereo. I wonder if this was actually done at any theaters.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/80page3.htm

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
We're running out of time for a 60th Anniversary celebration (typed with a bit of sardonic wit).
Still, it's interesting to read from The Widescreen Museum how the sound for the 24fps 35mm version ( I'm guessing the version most people saw) with 4 track magnetic stripe was sort of a 1950s version of Dolby EX (6.1), minus the .1. With use of the Perspecta Integrator, it was possible to split the surrounds into 3 channels: left, right and rear, since the front channels were discrete 3 channel stereo. I wonder if this was actually done at any theaters.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/80page3.htm

Yes that was an interesting technique and it is a shame that even "normal" 4 track magnetic sound had to make way for optical sound after it was evident that theaters were unwilling to invest in it.

I can imagine that it could have been used in some theaters who were using perspecta for the front channels for VistaVision movies but how many theatres even implemented that?

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Yes that was an interesting technique and it is a shame that even "normal" 4 track magnetic sound had to make way for optical sound after it was evident that theaters were unwilling to invest in it.

I can imagine that it could have been used in some theaters who were using perspecta for the front channels for VistaVision movies but how many theatres even implemented that?

I think the use of split surrounds was linked to the Cinestage presentations which use a 1.5 squeeze instead of the usual 2X squeeze used for Scope. All this to give a pseudo Todd AO presentation from 35mm..

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I think the use of split surrounds was linked to the Cinestage presentations which use a 1.5 squeeze instead of the usual 2X squeeze used for Scope. All this to give a pseudo Todd AO presentation from 35mm..

Ah, I was going by Dr. Griffin mentioning only Technicolor prints. The Cinestage prints were obviously very special and in fact I saw one of them once - it was only 34mm wide due to some regulatory benefits from it not being 35mm. And it was actually shown with the surround channel perspecta steering so here you have it, it was shown at least once :)

http://www.in70mm.com/schauburg/2008/index.htm
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingto9.htm

The print I saw still had very nice colors by the way but it was badly warped and therefore could not be brought into proper focus although it was presented with a very good 1.5:1 attachment from Schneider.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks