What's new

aren't there any fun foreign films? (1 Viewer)

Oliver Kopp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
Bang Boom Bang. One of the few German movies I have in my collection. Very funny story and great acting. If you liked The Big Lebowski you will not regret buying this movie.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>If foreign film fun has a name, it must be "Zatoichi"... however, none of the 26 engrossing, funny, exciting "Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman" films are currently available on Region 1 DVD.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>George, by the sound of it, if you didn't like Cries and Whispers or Alphaville, then, with the greatest of respect, it's unlikely you are going to like the majority of intellectual/art house foreign movies.>Unfortunately, that is largely what the better products of non-US movies are about.

David Hill

Agent
Ah, someone did mention Les Visiteurs!

A ridiculously enjoyable/silly film about some knights that accidentally fall through a time warp and appear in modern day France. When almost their first encopunter with modern life is tarmac and a Citroen 2CV you KNOW you're going to smile your way though this film.

And you do.

David

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
You may also want to try The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. It's got bright colours, Catherine Deneuve and the whole damn thing is sung!

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Actually Rain, he mentions in his original post that he'd agree that The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is great art but didn't enjoy it. I would think it would fit in the "fun" category too.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently no one else thinks Jules And Jim is fun. I suppose it's overall a downer, but it's just so damn beautiful and gleeful that I think it's very "fun."
Judging by the "fun... not fun" list it's really hard to gauge if you would enjoy Jules And Jim: I suppose the, say, meta-cinema aspects may be off-putting judging by your dismissal of Annie Hall; then again, Goodfellas shares a similar energy. Hmmm....
And Two English Girls is sorta like Jules And Jim with masturbation jokes! Even more fun!
Don't know why anyone hasn't mentioned, but Irma Vep is great fun...
Watching Maggie Cheung is generally always fun in my book, and watching Maggie Cheung in a leather catsuit is extremely fun.

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to check out The Crimson Rivers, a recent french movie staring Jean Reno that has quite a "hollywood feel" to it - yet feels pretty innovative.
Also, a semi-foreign movie that could swing either way based on your lists i The Red Violin

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
another nod for Les Visiteurs and Taxi. As for an older mindlessly entertaining French flick, try La Grande Vadrouille.

"Are you Big Mustache?"

Regards,

~~Nathan

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Actually Rain, he mentions in his original post that he'd agree that The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is great art but didn't enjoy it.
I think maybe it was a poor choice to include Umbrellas in my list of foreign films I didn’t like. Even though in the end this film isn’t one I would buy, it is the ‘type’ of film I was looking for. I only really liked the one song (I don’t know the title, it was the I will wait for you when they first parted), and the rest of the music was too ‘aimless’ for my taste. But if more of the music had resonated with me, then this probably would be a fun film. Fun is a continuum, and Umbrellas is a hell of a lot closer to what I was asking for opinions on than Cries & Whispers.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Well, if Umbrellas kind of fits the bill, you might want to take a look at The Young Girls of Rochefort. I'd consider Umbrellas a better film, but Young Girls is a fun follow-up to it. Slightly weirder and someone told me it helps if you're familiar with everything Demy has directed. Plus, it's coming out on DVD on the 22nd.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed The Vanishing quite a bit, although I've never seen the Hollywood remake.

I also recommend Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress. It's my favorite Kurosawa film, and gets better with each passing year.

If you're into horror films a bit, you can't go wrong with Dario Argento's Suspiria (and maybe Deep Red), as well as the early work of Mario Bava (Black Sunday, Twitch of the Death Nerve.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks