What's new

Are you buying Leopard? (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
This is my first Mac so I'm curious about the install.

When you choose upgrade do you boot with the new disk in the drive or can you upgrade while in Mac OS X from the desktop?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If I remember correctly, when I upgraded from Panther to Tiger, I inserted the disc and it popped up a folder which included an "Upgrade" icon. But I think all it did was guide you through the process to reboot to the DVD, where the real upgrade occurred.

It's been over 2 years, so my memory's fuzzy.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If anyone here has a Fry's nearby, you may want to check out their big Friday ad next week before going out to get Leopard. I have no idea if they're going to repeat this deal, but when Tiger launched they had the individual licenses for $99.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
If anyone is interested, Apple has a guided tour of the new OS. There is a link on their main page, apple.com.

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Although I do have a hard drive networked to my airport extreme
I don't use it for backup purposes. Access is rather slow through
that method.

Don't you have another external drive you can hook up through
USB or Firewire?

I'd hate to see you give up on Leopard for just that problem.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ron,

Unfortunately, "that problem" is the entire point of Leopard. Without Time Machine, Leopard isn't worth $120 and the bother of upgrading. While access to the hard-drive through my AX is slower, it's a real convenience to me with my MacBook Pro; going to a USB-connected hard-drive would be a step backwards. Moreover, I planned to upgrade my wife's Mac as well and use Time Machine on both using the same networked drive. If Time Machine does not yet work with AX-connected drives, I expect they will add that functionality in a point upgrade. I can wait for that.

Hopefully this is just hyperventiliation on my part and TM does work with the AX. (fingers crossed)

ErichH

Screenwriter
Interesting - I understand Airport's convenience, but critical backups are hardwire only in my world. I'm old fashioned ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's out of date. It's taken from an Apple page on Time Machine that has since been taken down. I believe this is one of the reasons it's in doubt whether TM will support the AX.

Google the phrase "leopard time machine airport extreme" and compare the page the first link goes to versus Google's cache of it.

Here's an Apple Discussion thread where this issue is discussed.

All that said: there are comments from Beta users sprinkled about where they say it works. Comments like,

So, there's hope. But it's not explictly confirmed yet. (fingers remain crossed)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Expose has to be the biggest boon to the online virtual waiting rooms on mlb.com. :D Have about 300 windows on 2 computers trying to get tickets. Probably won't help, much much easier than the old Red Sox virtual waiting room window management.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You beat me to it, Daryl. I was just going to post that. Of the two things that worry me in Leopard, the third one :) is now fixed. I'm very pleased by the dock change.

An explicit statement about Time Machine and they get my money for the Family Pack.

ErichH

Screenwriter

The less gui overhead the better. Wish I could turn it all off and gain as much new speed from the GPU as possible.
I hear 581 is a nice speed boost, even on iMacs.
We'll know very soon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's Leopard Day. Who's lining up for shirts and digital cats?

I was excited about the prospect of a new toy; the promise of Leopard was a key motivation to getting a Mac in the first place. And I had planned to totally nerd out and line up, get the shirt, buy the Family pack, etc.

But I've reluctantly decided to instead wait on Leopard. It's now confirmed that Time Machine does not work with the AEBS. With no other killer features in Leopard, I'll wait for an update or two -- or some Leopard-based app I must have to appear -- before buying.

But I'm looking forward to hearing about others' upgrades; how smoothly it goes and what you think of the new features. And if you get a Leopard shirt!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mine shipped overnight. I'll have it before 10am, but I
am working today so I can't begin installing till late this
afternoon.

I look forward to reading early reports in our new "sticky" thread.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Have had it for a few hours thanks to free overnight FedEx, unfortunately I can only put it on the Mini as my Radeon 1900xt croaked the other night and is awaiting replacement.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Local B&M deals on Leopard include $119 ($10 off) at Fry's, and $99 (after a $30 "e-rebate") at CompUSA.

I was hoping for a better deal from Fry's (and we no longer have a CompUSA near). Oh well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks