What's new

"Are You Being Served?" The First 5 Seasons Coming to DVD in August !!! (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
A bit high priced (retail) at the BBC America. I would wait until some online store has it. The Black Adder series also lists for $119. but can be found for $69. I am sure the same will hold true for this series and not willing to pay double for something just to be first ;)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Oh, I won't be buying it from the BBC Shop either. It's bound to be loads cheaper at an online retailer, I just wanted to give people a heads up. The extra features look very promising. I've actually seen the John Inman and Wendy Richard programs on my local PBS station and their very well done. The Mollie Sugden feature will be new to me, although I suspect it's been presented on PBS stations as well. It looks as if BBC Worldwide Americas has put together a nifty little package.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
The show use to be one of our PBS's most popular but for whatever reason it isn't shown there any longer. We now catch it on Comdey Central here in central Virginia.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
WOW!
This set is mine on Aug 27th.
the same day as the huge School House Rock: The Complete set
Don't forget!!!!
Are You Being Served?: The Movie by Anchor Bay is being released on June 11th

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
I'm a little miffed at Anchor Bay for releasing the movie with nothing but a trailer. It would have been great to have interviews with some of the cast. I'm not in a rush to get it anyway since it's basically a compilation of the best gags from the series. I'll probably buy it in a few months when the TV series comes out.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That has changed!
Amazon for $89.99, and DVDEmpire for $101.98.
I just put this in a different post, but thought I'd update here as well for those HTFers who get e-mails when a thread gets a new post.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Does anyone have this yet? I dont have the 90 bucks yet, so i cant get it til next week, but im dying to hear about it.

Id get one or two of the single ones, but i want the 7th disc too, sort of disappointed its just keepcases in a box, was hoping it would be in a foldout ala simpsons (or what BBC did with Blackadder)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I am very happy with the set so far. The extras disc is entertaining as well. Bring on the rest, as well as GRACE AND FAVOUR (AYBS Again! in the US)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
At first I couldn't stand Grace & Favour(AYBS Again!), until my PBS station MPT recently aired it again. When I first saw the series back in 1993 I was only 12 years old, but when it was rebroadcast in 1998 the jokes and situations made more sense and the whole series flowed better to a maturer mind. Now I realize that it was funnier than the last 3 seasons of AYBS! It's a shame the BBC only produced 2 years of it. Hopefully it will make it's way to DVD along with the original.

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
If anybody wants to see all the details for all 7 DVDs, click
here
I have individual entries for each DVD, including episode listings.
JC

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Well, this thread just sorta died ... so I had to make an attempt to revive it :)
But I gotta know- has ANYone seen this yet? The local BB doesn't know a thing about it! I told my wife and daughter about this back in late spring and still nothing :frowning: August has come and gone.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
A new Iowa Public Televison/BBC Worldwide Americas special is airing on most PBS stations over the next few weeks. Celebrating Mollie Sugden: An Are You Being Served? Special salutes everyone's favorite multi-colored saleslady in her 80th year. Shot this past summer in Mollie's home, castmembers John Inman, Wendy Richard, Trevor Bannister, Frank Thornton, Nicholas Smith, and co-creator David Croft reminisce and pay tribute to the wonderful Mollie Sugden.
Although a VHS is being sold by PBS stations for pledge drive week as an exclusive, I wonder if this will see the light of day on the next DVD boxed set?

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I saw part of it. I thought it was the exact same special on the DVD set? If not, the content was very close, wasn't it? What was new?

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
This isn't the same special that appears on the DVD release. The one that does appear on the DVD release is Funny Women: Mollie Sugden, produced 3 years ago in the UK by BBC2. This new special was just shot in 2002 as a tribute to Mollie on her 80th birthday. It was produced by arrangement with BBC Worldwide Americas. All of the interviews were brand new, with much of the filming taking place in Mollie's home. Afterwards they all gathered with her friends and family in the back garden for a birthday party. It hasn't been made available on DVD yet. The two programs do cover some of the same ground but they're entirely different.
Perhaps your station aired the program from 1999.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
No, I think they ran the new one. I just saw the same clips, and it seemed to be the same one I'd seen on the DVD. I didn't watch it for long. I'll catch it the next time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks