What's new

Are weak spin-offs a lost cause??? (1 Viewer)

Duane Alford

Second Unit
I'd like to see the Married with Children spinoffs Top Of The Heap and Vinnie & Bobby. You'd think as big a star as Matt LeBlanc is, it would get released.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
From having watched it when it stared on FOX years ago, I canll attest that Top of the Heap was horrible. The only thing good about it was sexy Joey Lauren Adams. Someone as untalented as Matt LeBlanc would be reason to NOT release that.

Vinnie & Bobby I never heard of, so it must have been even shorter-lived. Those "flash in the pants" sitcoms just don't have what it takes to last long.

Duane Alford

Second Unit

Appears both shows only lasted 7 episodes. According to IMDB.com Vinnie & Bobby was a retooled continuation of Top Of The Heap.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I wouldn't think twice about buying any Sanford spinoff.

Ah, Joey. Nice idea. But "the jailbait who lives next door" concept could only carry it so far.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Get a region-free player multi-stanadard player (less than $50) and import the R2-PAL sets like I did. They're out in season-by-season releases and most seasons can be had for less than $15 if you shop around.

It's not likely these will ever come out over here: BFS in Canada tried releasing some of the BBC Videos back in the '90s and only ever put out four tapes. Must not have sold well enough for them to carry on, so I doubt they'll try again on DVD (and I'm very certain that if they did try again that they wouldn't begin with the black-and-white episodes).

Jeff#

Screenwriter
A few months ago I was fortunate enough to listen to Mp3 files that someone supplied of the entire 51 episodes of the radio version of the very English Steptoe and Son sitcom. I knew about it for years, but that was the first time I got an opportunity to hear the show. The audio quality on all of them remains excellent. That also included a stage comedy show with Wilfred Brambell and Harry Corbett as their famous characters, which they did in Australia after the series ended.

It was a good show in its own right but not quite up to the level of our Sanford & Son. But Steptoe lasted slightly longer: On TV first from 1962 and it went from 1966 to 1976 on BBC Radio (with several years off in between), remaking the TV plots. The various American Sanford episodes from all incarnations of that sitcom played from January 1972 to the spring of 1981 with only 1978 and 1979 as the years with nothing Sanford on TV.
The only thing I could never understand is why the Steptoes got around in a horse & buggy,
while Lamont Sanford at least had a 1940s pickup truck. When it comes to junkmen I guess Albert was much more old-fashioned than Fred. :)

I've never seen the TV version because I can't find it anywhere. It helped that I knew what the two main actors looked like from photos, and of course I saw Brambell in his other famous role in old age: As Paul McCartney's very clean grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night". :D

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert

You're exactly right, Jeff! I never got to see this show. I'm afraid you're right about it's DVD life. I wish we could somehow see this show, at least, for tv history purposes. I'm sure it wasn't all that bad. It must have some funny moments. I'm a huge Shirley fan. She's just a riot to me.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Steptoe & Son is on one out of print US DVD, I think 2 1970's movie versions, same actors. A lot of the early shows of this series are suppose to be missing like Doctor Who.

I think I read somewhere on this forum that the company that owns Man About the House (Three's Company), George & Mildred (Ropers), Robin's Nest (Three's a Crowd) and Keep it in the Family (Too Close for Comfort) has a deal for US distribution but I am uncertain if this would mean these would be released as they own quite a lot. They aso own a show called Bless This House starring Sid James, which I love. It may be related to Andrew Dice Clay's version but I am uncertain.

Recently Are You Being Served actor John Inman died. He starred in an Australian spinoff of the same name as the same character Mr. Humpries, lent out to Mr. Grace's Australian cousin, this would be nice to see as would the US version called Beanes of Boston with Alan Suess as Mr. Humpries, John Hillerman as Peacock and Charlotte Rae as Slocombe. Only one of these was made as a failed pilot and I guess it was a good thing or we might not have had Magnum and Facts of Life. Robin Williams auditioned for the Humpries character. I wonder if the BBC could release these. Inman also starred in a show called Take a Letter Mr. Jones. The creators of Are You Being served had another series with Mollie Sugden in space called Come Back Mrs Noah and co creator David Croft made a trio of very funny period comedies (20's, 50's, 60's in the 80's-90's) series starring Paul Shane, Su Pollard and Jeffrey Holland in different roles, also using other actors in more than one. These shows are Hi-De-Hi, Oh Dr. Beeching and the greatest Upstairs Downstairs farce titled You Rang M'lord.

Dr. Who's spinoff K-9 and Company should come to DVD, if not on its own then as a special feature for Sarah Jane Adventures. I wonder if the US will get this and Torchwood.

Life on Mars is an interesting BBC series right now and a US version pilot is being made.

Lamont from Sanford & Son was in a new Odd Couple show that might be of some interest.

Battlestar Galactica, the orignal, had a spinoff too called Galactica 1980 which would be interesting to see again.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

They were missing, but the BBC recovered them from Galton and Simpson's home recordings. I believe they are available in Region 2.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Sci-fi channel showed those some time ago and I"m glad I recorded them on tape. They have those funny flying motorcycles. Of course, when I was 13 those were like Fonzie. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff#

Screenwriter
That was no typo. I say "flash in the pants" in regard to unsuccessful TV shows, because it sounds funnier than "pan". ;)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
That was a remake though, not a sequel. The New Odd Couple during the 1982-83 season was a mostly black version of the 1970s classic TV series with Jack Klugman & Tony Randall (which was a remake of the 1968 movie with Jack Lemmon & Walter Matthau which was a remake of a stage play).

The New Odd Couple had Ron Glass from Barney Miller as Felix Unger and Demond Wilson was sloppy Oscar. It was a well-done sitcom from Gary Marshall, and the familiar theme song was actually an improvement over the original series. It was the ONLY improvement however. It's been 24 years since I saw it in first-run on ABC, but I'd swear they used the same set for the guys' apartment. John Schuck played the Murray the cop role originated by Al Molinaro. Telma Hopkins from the Tony Orlando & Dawn show was Oscar's ex-wife Blanche in a few episodes as I recall. Esther Rolle from Good Times guest starred in one episode.

Tory

Real Name
Tory

I imported DVDs of Hancock's Half Hour, Bless This House, George and the Dragon and the Carry On films plus the films Double Bunk and Watch Your Stern. Sid James kind of stole Hancock's Half-Hour, from what I understand he was kicked off of the show by Hancock for its last season. Bless This House is a family sitcom that had one movie based upon it. It was a hit and would have lasted longer had Sid James not died. He is quoted as saying he wanted to continue doing it until he died, I think he thought he had a lot more time though. I've only watched a few episodes of George and the Dragon, Sid is George a chauffeur / butler type and he is at odds with the new maid/ housekeeper.

Which Carry On's have you seen? I think the Anchor Bay US set of the first 12 films is going out of print. In the UK there are special editions of all of the films. I imported a boxset of the last 18 films years ago but now the company that released that has obtained the rights to the earlier 12 and have done similar special editions. Some of their best films are not available in R1.

As for Carry On Laughing, the team was a bit overworked here as they were making the films and stage versions of the show at the same time plus other projects, it was put together hastily. My favorite of these was a period mystery themed one that appeared three times. The movies should not be judged by this tv series but rather the TV series should be an added bonus to hardcore fans, it seems more like a half hour sketch than an actual series.

Another spinoff tv program of the Carry On's was a series of 4 Carry On Christmas Specials, also on DVD in the UK, some of the bits here are quite good and probably were the primer for Carry On Laughing and some are much better.

Coming soon, I think, but it has been on hold for a while is Carryoons, an animated series based off of Carry On. One short has been shown at some conventions, there is some thought that we might get it next year for the 50th anniversary but their official website seems down. I do think this will be completed. Here is some information and animation designs:

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/carryon/c2.htm

Unfortunately a new film is about to be made called Carry On London that does not look too good as Sid James, Charles Hawtrey, Kenneth Connor, Kenneth Williams, Joan Sims, Hattie Jacques, Petter Butterworth and Bernard Bresslaw are long dead and the announced cast does not seem so great. It seems that survivors like Babs Windsor, Jim Dale and Jack Douglas are not involved.

Frankie Howerd appeared in some Carry On films. He had a hit TV show in the 70's called Up Pompeii, written by Carry On writer Talbott Rothwell, which was based off of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Years after this series he had another called Then Churchill Said To Me (1982) which was a spiritual sequel to Up Pompeii, same character and presentation but in WWII, kind of like Black Adder I guess but not as good. From what I understand, this show did not air in 82 but was rediscovered 10 years later.

As for what Steptoe & Son was shot on, I do not know as I have not seen them but I am interested.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I've seen several of the Carry On films, Tory, but I've only managed to see those ranging from the 1950s through the mid 60s. I saw them back in the late 1970s / early 80s on a Philadelphia TV station that used to air them late at night.

Later shows like Black Adder wouldn't interest me, because I can't stand Rowan Atkinson. "Mr. Bean" was downright stupid.

A lot of people praise "Are you Being Served?". I've never seen that or "Vicar of Dibley", both of which used to play on PBS stations for years.

Overall, classic American comedy is still the best. But when it comes to the British stuff all that I care about seeing are the TV versions of Steptoe and Son and Hancock's Half-Hour. The only British comedy series I wanted to collect (and have in my disc collection) are Monty Python's Flying Circus and Fawlty Towers.

Tell you what....I'll trade you my first season DVD set of Mission: Impossible for all the episodes you have on DVD of Hancock's TV show and Bless This House. Deal? Send me a PM if you're interested. :)

Tory

Real Name
Tory
No go, I have Mission Impossible but you can import Hancock from amazon.co.uk or several other stores. I think they have recently combined all previous releases in one boxset that would generally be cheaper than the single releases.

I compared the Up Pompeii / Churchill series to Black Adder because it was the same type of situation of moving a character to another period, but that is the only similarity but I do like Black Adder, a different sort of comedy. Up Pompeii, like the Carry On films, Are You Being Served and Allo Allo is a high quality double entendre sex innuendo farce, anarchistic at times like Wheeler & Woolsey or the Marx Brothers. In my opinion Three's Company bears closer resemblance to these than Man About the House, that is the characters were more innocent yet more likely to jump to conclusions and a bit of slapstick was thrown in. Man About the House is good but really reminds me more of a 90's US situation comedy.

Are You Being Served is a different type of comedy than Vicar of Dilerby, a series I care not much for. There are several different types of British sitcoms and Are You Being Served is viewed by many as a TV version of Carry On, a sort of humor that is kind of dead now.

About the Carry On films, the only ones I saw on television in the 80's for certain, which got me into them in the first place, were Carry On Cleo (using sets and costumes from the Liz Taylor Cleopatra film) and Carry On Jack. After viewing on DVD I am fairly certain that I also saw Carry On Spying, Carry On Cabby, Carry On Cruising, Carry On Cowboy, Carry On Screaming, Carry On Teacher, Carry On Sergeant, Carry On Regardless, Carry On Constable and Carry On Nurse. There are two periods of Carry On based upon studios and all of these are from the first period and are in the Anchor Bay set alongside a clip movie that was released theatrically featuring films clips from both periods called That's Carry On, inspired by That's Entertainment. For the most part these are less out there and less crazy than their later efforts, more reserved but funny none the less, just a different feeling. I think Carry On Cleo was the first sign of how they would change, how certain character traits got locked into the actors recurring performances. The best of the rest, if ever you can catch these on US DVD, there may be sets coming but they may not be legit, would include Carry On Camping, Carry On Doctor, Carry On Matron, Up the Khyber and Follow that Camel (Phil Silvers is in this one instead of Sid James). A joke from Carry On Nurse seems to pass through some of the medical themed ones about using a flower as a thermometer the hard way. If you do go seeking these out, avoid Carry On Columbus a failed attempt of reviving the series casting new late 80's early 90's odd indie dark humor comedians instead comedians capable of quality farce.

If you like Sid James, then on the Anchor Bay set he appears in more than half of the Anchor Bay set, plus Lavender Hill Mob in The Alec Guinness Collection, Too Many Crooks and a JefFilms DVD available from amazon and buy of questionable origins called What a Carve Up with Kenneth Connor in an old dark house mystery comedy situation. The Jeffilms DVD seems questionable because I have read online that the people who own the rights to it in Britain did not know of its existence but it is being sold through legitimate stores, not through sellers. It is of the poorest quality though.

Back on topic to some other shows we might have forgotten....

The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet had Ozzie's Girls wherein some college girls move into the boys old room. It would be nice to see once the original is cumulated.

I want the Fonz, Mork & Mindy and Laverne & Shirley cartoons, I may be the only one

Matlock gave us Jake & the Fatman and Diagnosis Murder, I want Jake & the Fatman more than the other two

The Jeffersons had Checking In, a series about Florence, it had four episodes and should be a bonus in their set or a single disc release.

All in the Family also had 704 Hauser Street many years later starring John Amos, I would like to see this again, only 6 episodes, a good bonus feature or a single disc release.

Family Ties spinoff Day by Day was always a favorite of mine as was Growing Pains spinoff Just the10 of Us. I want the parent series but their spinoffs are more important to me.

Would The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley count as an SCTV spinoff?

I never cared for Baywatch but I liked Baywatch Nights. I don't know if I would buy it but I reckon fans of the former might like the other.

Aside from Partridge Family 2200 AD and more seasons of the original, Getting Together with Bobby Sherman has some appeal.

I was never a Golden Girls fan but Empty Nest is something I would buy. Nurses was OK too.

If we ever get BJ and the Bear, I would also love The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo

We need Head of the Class and when it is through, we need Billy.

A lot of people want Perfect Strangers and Family Matters. I prefer Perfect Strangers but fear Family Matters will be the first on DVD, not that I hate it, I m just more worried for my favorite.

I have Burke's Law imported from the UK and its spinoff Honey West, the US needs both. When these are all released, the revival series 20 or so years later needs to be released.

We need Pebbles and Bamm Bamm spun off of Flintstones. Looks like we may be getting this instead of Banana Splits:
http://www.mynameisearlkress.com/weblog/
Jetsons almost had a similar spinoff, I think I saw some sketches at the above site but it may have been elsewhere

Knight Rider spun off Code of Vengeance, a few episodes.

When WKRP is finished, will the care to release the New one? I liked it, not as much as the original but I liked it.

Cannon spun off Barnaby Jones, I'd rather the later but neither is out.

Josie & the Pussycats and their space adventures need DVD.

The Man from U.N.C.L.e. and the Girl from U.N.C.L.E. will we ever see the man and if so, will we see the girl?

Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman andtheir spinoff films seem like they will be coming but I wonder.

Cheyenne spawned Bonco

Mr. T and Tina spun off of Welcome Back Kotter, 5 episodes

Hercules and Xena are out but Young Hercules seems neglected.

Ironside spunoff Amy Prentiss. I think I will be trying Ironside in the near future.

Columbo had Mrs. Columbo aka Kate Loves a Mystery

Comedy Playhouse was a British anthology series like Love American Style which gave us Happy Days and Wait Till your Father Gets Home. Series spun off from it include Steptoe & Son, Are You Being Served, Till Death Do Us Part (All in the Family) and Last of the Summer Wine.

Danny Thomas Show's Make Room For Daddy, Joey Bishop Show, Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle all connected some sort of way on DVD, Mayberry RFD is needed. I think Bill Dana Show was also connected and is on overpriced best of legit DVD-R but deserves better.

Tenspeed and Brown Shoe with Jeff Goldbloom and Ben Vereen may never find DVD but if they do, possibly from VEI (please?) will J.J. Starbuck

Kung-Fu continues in The Legend continues, it needs DVD but a correct aspect ratio Kung-fU does too

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I've read magazine articles that were shorter than your previous post, Tory.
You watch too much TV, my friend. :D

Just a few questions about those Hancock's Half Hour TV shows you bought from somebody at Amazon.co.uk.....Were they original transfers or dubs? How good was the video quality?
And how many episodes were you able to obtain in that box set -- all of them?

Tory

Real Name
Tory
I have not seen all of those shows and probably would not buy all of them but if I started one I would probably like their mates. I do figure if I set my wants wide I will be happy with whatever actually makes it to DVD although I do think I am about to settle down aside from a few must haves.

I think you might have misunderstood, the Hancock's I have are legit from the BBC but only released in the UK, well possibly Australia. These are not complete as some episodes no longer exist, whatever remains are kinescoped, I think this may be the case with Steptoe too but I do not know. Volume 1 has The Alpine Holiday with Kenneth Williams from Series 2, the only one surviving from Series 2, the only season he was a regular in and the earliest surviving episode, series 1 is totally lost. This volume also includes 4 or 5 episodes surviving from season 3 including a 43 minute special. Volume 2 has what survived from Series 4 and like Volume 1 is just 1 disc. Volumes 3 and 4 have complete 10 episode runs of Series 5 & 6 respectively. series 7 is not on DVD just yet and is just called Hancock and loses Sid James and 5 minutes per episode. When last I checked there was a collection of all 4 volumes being sold at amazon.co.uk but it is not there now. It might have been a store special but I am uncertain. Given the circumstances these look and sound about as good as they can.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

It had to be that way, though. The show existed due to a writer's strike. Dust off the old scripts, new cast, bam, "new" show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks