What's new

are those power conditioners really worth it? (1 Viewer)

Kha:T

Agent
I have the HTS5100. I do see/hear some improvement, but it's not very significant. I bought it for the peace-of-mind and coolness factors more than anything. It's one helluva solid and hefty "powerstrip," though - if you want to call it a powerstrip.

Dean Arizona

Agent
Chu Gai, what do you do for a living? Is there any device that has an electrical current coursing through it on which you are not conversant? My goodness. Do you have any suggestions that I could use to optimize my garage door opener? It hums even worse than my HT? :)

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm Chu's cheering section.

GO CHU! GO CHU!

CHU! CHU! HE'S THE MAN!

I've copied and pasted that post and shall use it as reference for a much simpler outline I shall write soon.

Chu's content is not only informed, intelligent and informed and force me to look up technical terms like "FWIW" but I digress that I also had to refer to the dictionary to look up the word "ingress".

Great work Chu, thanks for the education.

Wayde

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
TimZ, I have been using a Monster Power HTS-5000 for about 5 years now. I happen to live in the North Florida Panhandle where we get a thunderstorm out of the blue on any given day, the HTS-5000 gives me peace of mind that my equipment isn't getting zapped by those non-direct lightning hits. The delay feature on a few of the outlets keeps my speakers from getting amplifier thump when turning my system on. Those 2 features alone make it worth the $250 I paid for it. I don't notice any sound difference with or without it.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I strangle chickens for the Colonel. That's why they taste so good.

Regarding the power conditioner/surge protector thing I decided I wanted to be more informed when I lost (actually my son) a receiver due to lightning. How do I know it was lightning? Remember that opening scene in 'The Natural' where Redford sees the tree split? Well that happened not 20 feet from my house. It was still smoldering in the morning. I also lost my well pump. That was expensive.

I've got a bit of a background in sciences but realized I didn't understand too much how this whole thing worked. So I spent some time at a couple of places (a local telco, a very large satellite dish installation where they need to be up 24/7 despite being in an area that's sort of a micro climate and prone to lightning strikes) and talked to engineers there. I wanted to understand what approaches they took to protect their equipment and the reasoning behind it. I then spent time talking to engineers and application personnel at various companies that specialize in this technology. Polyphaser for one. I read bid requests by various state agencies that were looking for outfits to install mission critical telecommunications between various locations. I talked to some friends in the military that were involved in installing remote command centers and the ARLL. I've spoken to MOV, SACD, gas tube, Isolation Transfomer manufacturers by email and phone. People in general were very kind and very forthcoming to my nosiness. A common theme emerged and that distillation is what I share here.

I like strangling chickens though...weird, huh? :D

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
I use a $25 HT Surge protector made by Belkin for Target. It clean, black with nice little switches in each outlet to keep kids out. Oh yeah....has that $75K Protection Policy! :D

SoCal...pretty good power. Ain't never had anything burn out cep't my Pool Pump Breaker switches...but thats another story! :D

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I can get an INCREDIBLE deal on the Monster HTS3500. I might do that. I will also plug my APC computer battery backup/surge protector into the unit.

Figure, if anything:

-It looks freaking cool (the ones that are components, and not strips)

-It is a very good surge protector

-You can avoid some issues like popping speakers and the like. It has unswitched outlets for amps or whatever you want

-It has a cool glowing meter like a McIntosh amp :D

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
I have a PS Audio Powerplant. I consider it an essential part of my system. I clearly notice a difference with my CRT projector (deeper blacks/vibrant colors) and with audio. There are plenty of people out there who do not believe in these products, but you'll find many who do. The best thing you can do is try one and see what (if anything) it does for you.

Phil Volk

Grip
I love the blue lights on my 7000SigSeries, they match the AVR507 (so does the silver front panel).
I bought it because the 7000SS has an added layer of protection to the MOV's , this is a non-self -sacrificing surge protection(?) that will reset after @15 seconds (saving settings on equip if I'm traveling), but it's the way it cleans the junk off my ac that made me buy it. An elec. engineer neighbor wanted to test some in my house to see what the ac looked like before and after the conditioning...I don't know what he measured but he bought a 5100 from me and he is one CHEAP sob

Users who are viewing this thread