What's new

Are There Specs on "Once Upon a Time in the West" Yet? (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
This is one of my all-time favorite Sergio Leone Westerns. Is there anything posted about special features, etc.? I can't seem to locate anything about what might be on this thing.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Looks like a lot of special features according to Paramount and blu-ray.com. I have to admit I've never seen this one, but I'll probably blind buy as I have the other Leone Westerns and like em a lot...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6043

Paramount Announces Western Blu-ray Wave, Including Once Upon a Time in the West Posted March 21, 2011 04:53 AM by Juan Calonge

paramount.jpg
Paramount Home Entertainment has announced no fewer than four western movies from its late-60s and early-70s catalog for Blu-ray release on May 31, in time for Father's Day: Big Jake (George Sherman, 1971), A Man Called Horse (Elliot Silverstein, 1970), Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968) and Rio Lobo (Howard Hawks, 1970).

Special features have been listed only for Once Upon a Time in the West and they include:
  • Commentary featuring directors John Carpenter, John Milius and Alex Cox, film historians Sir Christopher Frayling and Dr. Sheldon Hall plus cast and crew
  • An Opera of Violence
  • The Wages of Sin
  • Something to Do with Death
  • Railroad: Revolutionising the West
  • Locations Then & Now
  • Production Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer (in HD)
  • Easter Egg – New Trailer

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Thanks, Ben. This is Leone's biggest "scope" Western, portions of which were actually filmed in the American West (the Monument Valley sequences). I believe the majority of the film, like his "Dollars" trilogy, was filmed in Spain. Believe it not, this is bigger in scope than 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly."

The photography is awe-inspiring, the music haunting and memorable, and the characters are fun. Henry Fonda in a very bad guy role, a very young Charles Bronson as the protagonist searching for something (I won't spoil it), an absolutely beautiful Claudia Cardinale in the female lead, and Jason Robards in a pretty comical role.

There's so much visual candy in this Western that you have to watch it more than once. From the time I first saw it more than 25 years ago, the score has stuck with me. It's all over YouTube if you care to sample it:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is pretty epic. I tried to describe it to my sister as the GWTW of Westerns. But this looks huge. Probably will blind buy if the ratings are good. I'm hoping Paramount is going get their act together and release a huge number of titles on blu-ray to celebrate their 100th anniversary...This looks like a good place to start.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
This is my favorite sequence in the whole movie. It's 8 minutes long, but worth it to those on the fence. The music's unforgettable. The cinematography's unforgettable. Note how the movie transitions from Spain to Monument Vallet, UT seamlessly at around 5:40. This is gonna look amaaaazing on Blu-ray!

Bravo Ennio Morricone!

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I can see why Sergio Leone cast Claudia Cardinale in OUATITW. The camera really liked her:

And apparently still does. Not bad for 70 something:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by graham8z

She looked stunning in Le Fil from a couple of years ago

Good to see she's still thriving. How can you not love her, from this movie or "the Pink Panther?" I always wondered why they looped her voice though (supposedly by Gale Garnett). Was she looped in OUATITW as well?

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

Good to see she's still thriving. How can you not love her, from this movie or "the Pink Panther?" I always wondered why they looped her voice though (supposedly by Gale Garnett). Was she looped in OUATITW as well?

I've never heard the native Italian version on OUATITW, so I've never heard her native voice.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx

Truly outstanding movie. Henry Fonda in one of his best role ever

Yes, the whole cast is fabulous. Jack Elam, I almost forgot about him. What a great face for a Western. I think Clint Eastwood said in an interview for the "Dollars" films that Leone was always really good at picking faces. He hit paydirt with Bronson, Fonda, Cardinale, Robards, and everyone else in this fantastic cast.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I am really psyched to see this movie in high definition, especially after reading the initial review:) Alas, my source isn't shipping until tomorrow, so I'll have to wait a couple of days................

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the first thirty minutes. A fantastic A/V transfer - I wish Leone's other Blu Rays had this much care given to their transfers (I'm specifically thinking of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly).

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

Just watched the first thirty minutes. A fantastic A/V transfer - I wish Leone's other Blu Rays had this much care given to their transfers (I'm specifically thinking of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly).

This is very good news. Everything seems to be positive on this release.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just finished watching the film. To paraphrase Fernando, "It looks mahvelous." An amazing transfer. Gorgeous film.

Cannot believe how truly amazing it was to watch this film. Awestruck!

Doug

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I cycle between which one I like better. I think it tends to correlate with which one I happen to be watching at the time. [/url]

I personally like this one better than Good, Bad and Ugly. Should be getting my copy tomorrow, whoo hoo!

[/quote]

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
benbess i love it when people say the words "i have not seen this one yet "

sometimes i feel there should be a place called Lacuna inc. where like in Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind,they could erase a specific part of your mind so

i could say "just erase all the films i've ever seen and then i could restart again to have first times.

Very lucky my friend !

I dont like hyping too much,but i can safely say if you watch this in the best conditions possible (meaning go to the john before,get the dog out,put the kids to bed

unplug the phone,make a sandwich,not like the Epicmealtime guys,just a regular sandwich..did i forget anything ? )

then you should view what most people call a masterpiece.

Now i can't wait for YOUR review.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
and BENBESS ?

you can't watch this clip here till AFTER youve watched the film because there are massive spoilers.Unless

youre the kind of fella who doesn't think spoilers take away the magic of it all.

those of you who have seen the film you can go.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
benbess i love it when people say the words "i have not seen this one yet "

sometimes i feel there should be a place called Lacuna inc. where like in Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind,they could erase a specific part of your mind so

i could say "just erase all the films i've ever seen and then i could restart again to have first times.

Very lucky my friend !

I dont like hyping too much,but i can safely say if you watch this in the best conditions possible (meaning go to the john before,get the dog out,put the kids to bed

unplug the phone,make a sandwich,not like the Epicmealtime guys,just a regular sandwich..did i forget anything ? )

then you should view what most people call a masterpiece.

Now i can't wait for YOUR review.

Ditto!! Especially the Lacuna part. I would love to be able to experience this film for the first time again.....and again......and again.....and again........................................................

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks