What's new

Are there any reviews of the WARNER GANGSTER collection yet? (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Although 2005 has just arrived, I can safely say that the upcoming Warner Gangsters boxed set will be one of the highlight releases of the year....

Since street date is only about 10 days away, does anyone know of any reviews yet?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner along with some other studios have been giving out their screeners late to the reviewers. That's probably why Herb Kane hasn't posted any reviews here because I know these dvds are some of his most anticipated releases for the year.

Crawdaddy

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Understandable, given the holiday break, when most companies virtually shut down for two weeks, and then desperately try to catch up.

We didn't see early reviews on the WB DECISION title winners, but the DVDs were in store on street date and there was plenty of publcity. That's what really matters...

Nonetheless, I eagerly await comments on these releases from the honorable Mr. Kane and Mr. Harris. I expect them to be in line with most Warner classic titles....gorgeous presentations to treasure.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Roger,

Robert is correct. WB (as well as many of the other studios) have been sending out screeners closer to street dates, presumably due to pirating issues. In fact, you've probably already noticed the new blue pirating warning that appears at the start of the new WB titles...? Obviously this makes completing reviews (particularly larger packages) prior to street dates more difficult.

There will be most definitely be a HTF review.

Herb.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I can understand why they don't want to give out too many copies ahead of time, particularly on the big releases. But do they really think that reputable reviewers (like HTF) are making extra money by pirating DVDs? Frankly, I'm not sure that the black market value of the Warner Gangster Collection would be all that great anyhow. They would probably benefit more from the added publicity.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It has nothing to do with HTF, at this time, the studios don't have the time nor inclination to pick and choose among the review sites, thus all of them are being effected by this policy change. Whether their fears are justified is a question only those closed enough to the situation can answer correctly.

Crawdaddy

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I preordered without hesitation, just based on Warner's good track record with classic film DVD releases and the goodwill that has resulted in. Other studios should take note of that phenomenon. Give us a quality presentation and package and it will increase sales across the board.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I second Glenn's post. The upcoming Warners Classic Comedies and Musicals collections are also getting pre-orders from me.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I saw a commercial on TCM advertising this set complete with clips (presumably from the DVDs).

Some of the clips had some minor print damage, but the underlying image was very clear and sharp. Nobody will be disappointed if these were indeed from the DVDs.

Given the age of these films and the relatively poor quality of prior releases, I'm not going to expect pristine prints. However I have no doubt that these DVDs will present these films looking the best they have since they were first released.

I've pre-ordered this and the Classic Comedies sets. At less than $8 per title, I can't afford NOT to.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Watching White Heat will be tough after learning of the death of star Virginia Mayo today.

It's a shame she passed away just before the release of a DVD which would have brought her back into the limelight so to speak.

Steve

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I have been waiting for these movies to be released for years. I will be in line at my local Best Buy first thing in the morning to pick this baby up. I hope I won't be dissipointed, and given the box sets from Warner I have recently purchsed (Hitchcock Signiture Collection & Clasic Film Noir Collection) I dont think I will be. I just can't wait!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Steve O:

A reviewer friend has the boxed set (I'm very jealous) and he says the transfers are a revelation. They all look like they're right from the original negatives, according to my friend. He says the packaging, the extras, and the whole assembly will likely make this one of 2005's top releases, even after everyone's short memories fade in December!

The TCM spot was likely cut from the masters TCM uses (which are 10-15 years old) and not from the WB DVD masters.
I've noticed TCM is gradually starting to upgrade their library, but it is a slow process.

Anyway, Here's to a week from today, and the release of these titles, and more impressively, the boxed set. I can't wait!:)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Roger,

Thank you very much for the information and for the clarification on what TCM was using.

These will indeed make for very enjoyable watching.

Steve

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the upcoming release of WB Gangster Collection V4, including:

The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse
Invisible Stripes
Kid Galahad
Larceny, Inc.
The Little Giant
Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Film

Will these titles be available individually? What is the history with the earlier WB sets? Were those titles available as individual items?

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos
Jeff, I believe the original press release stated that KID GALAHAD was going to be the only title in Volume 4 to be sold separately.

Of course, that can always change, and also, WB has been known to release stand-alone titles from their box sets afterwards. For example, their Marx Brothers and Thin Man collections had exclusive titles that were later sold separately.

George

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
George,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to decide on this one, to get the box set or wait for the one that's been on my "grail" list for a long time..."Invisible Stripes". I'm not familiar with the other films in the set.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I saw volume 4 at CostCo about the time it was released but it didn't last on the shelves for very long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks