What's new

Are there any DIY DAC kits around? (1 Viewer)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I'm building a non oversampling DAC with a 10+ year old Philips chip, designed by someone over on the DIYaudio forum. The parts cost should be around $200, and I have no idea what it will sound like. I bet that in terms of measured performance and probably some aspects of sound quality, it is nowhere near the DAC1 or anything else modern. But it will be fun to try and a lot of people like the sound from this kind of "old style" D/A conversion, similar to the popular Nixon and Dack products but a little more involved.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
It might, except everything else about it is better. The whole "old" non oversampling DACs have some following among the originally anti-digital types, maybe they sound softer. At least that's what I'm hoping for... ;)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
They have better transient response. I checked it out on my scope once and posted the info on HTT and AA. The thread on AA of course got a little heated, but I think my basic tests were mostly sound.

I could try and dig up the thread(s) if you're interested.

Edit: Here it is, even if you're not interested :)

Link

Read the embedded link first, and then come back to that thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks