What's new

Are SVS subs THAT good? (1 Viewer)

TV555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Veryal
SVS subs are great, BUT they are still somehow still overhyped. I swear people have them up on a pedestal. SVS buyers are just so enthusiastic it's almost embarrassing ;).
The day they flatten out that bottom end w/ an adjustable DSP.. they will have close to the "perfect" product even if it costs more.
Give me a PC Ultra w/ DSP built-in (drool.)

Chris Huber

Second Unit
I've had mu PC+ now for about 1 year. It rocks the Basement in my huge 6k sq ft room... I just watched war of the World last night. When the lightning strikes in the movie, all the way through the chase scene for 20 min, this is a great SVS demo. I couldn't believe what i was feeling in my huge basement with only 1 PC+.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor

Find a way to use it, you wont regret it. . .

Try laying it on its side behind the couch. . . Its only 16in diameter. . .actually about as small a footprint that they make. . .

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Update: I cancelled my preorder for the Pb12-NSD yesterday and ordered the Pb12-Plus/2 :) It shipped today and hopefully I'll have it friday for the long weekend. I think I just made an awfully huge upgrade lol Since I've used a paradigm 10" PS-1000 for the last six years, I'm sure i'm in for a shock to say the least. Tick tock....

stephenPA

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Partridge

Steve,

I too just got word my pb12/2 shipped. I am worried that it won't love up to the hype. I have been burned by internet brands before. I am hoping I love it.

Let us know what you think.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Steve,

I too just got word my pb12/2 shipped. I am worried that it won't love up to the hype. I have been burned by internet brands before. I am hoping I love it.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
thanks Tom, no worries here ;) I've read enough to know I'm in for a shock. I'll either keep this one or get the PC Ultra which is what I orginally wanted for the footprint, weight, etc. I got talked into the plus/2 and will see how it goes. The problem is I really have no reference point to fall back on having had a paradigm 10" sub the last six years.

I wanted the ultra for accurate sound, etc but with the new drivers for the plus/2 I've read they approach the PC Ultra. I'm just in a wait and see mode now til' I can test the plus/2 and find out what I've been missing all this time. It's hard waiting for the delivery that's for sure ;)

John6938

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Ok you've convinced me also (new here)

The only qustion I have is there a difference between the cylinders and the boxes, of the same level of sub. I mean if I go to the site and get the best one i can afford ,is it just a matter of personal preference on the looks, or do the subs perform differently.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys,

Steve, Once you spend a few hours with the Plus/2 you won't have ANY concerns about making the wrong choice..:)

John, the enclosure shape doesn't affect performance significantly in this context. Go with the shape which best fits in the room decor. The 20-39PCi and the new PB12nsd will be very close in overall performance and the 20-39PC+ and the PB12plus are very similar to one another too.

Tom V.
SVS

stephenPA

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Partridge

I hope you guys are right. I currently have M&K 150 speakers with a M&K 350. I have moved into a large house with a large ht room. I was thinking of going with two M&K 5000 but thought I would give svs a try since several M&K 150 owners seem happy with the sub.

To be honest though I have bough a pair of internet speakers (which shall remain nameless) and a highly regarded internet preamp. Both were a let down compared to my Anthem and M&K setup.

I am really open minded and WANTING to like the svs but I am going to be honest in my evaluation and if I don't like it I am sending it back.

You may be hearing from me Tom in the next week or so.....I probably will need help getting this things optimized.

Anyways, I already think SVS is one of the best companies in terms of service and hope I like the sub.

Thanks

stephen

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Stephen:

Take it from me that if you are not happy with this sub and the way that it performs Tom and Ron will work with you until it does or give you your money back no questions asked. SVS isn't just about making the best subs you can buy they are about being the best company you can work with pre and post sales, period.

Parker

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Stephen,

Thanks for the order. What Parker said applies. If you are not totally flabbergasted by the Plus/2 performance (in a good way) we'll have that thing out of your house with a refund in your hand PDQ.

Tom and I don't sell anything we don't honestly feel isn't the best performance for the money ( guess that's a triple negative, but it works hopefully ;^). We'd lose our minds otherwise since there's no time to cook up stories for why anyone should buy an SVS product otherwise.

Please let us know here, or via e-mail if this sub impressed you both in what you hear, and what you do not hear.

Ron
SVS
[email protected]

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
I ordered my PB12–NSD/2 today! All the many favorable reviews here convinced me! Can't wait!

Pete

BrianTwig

Second Unit

You are in for a real treat. As a fellow PB12-NSD/2 owner I am interested in how you like it once you get it up and running. Let us know!

jschulze

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan Schulze
Hi,

I'm in the planning stages of my home theater and was looking at the Genelec HTS6, but seeing this thread would 4 or 5 PB12-Ultra/2's be a better choice. It'd be about the same price. Any things else in the $10K range that would be a better choice?

Thanks, Jordan

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Well, some would advocate a custom built infinite baffle situation is always going to yield the best sound, all things considered. Have you considered the infinite baffle possibility?

Personally I'm a big fan of Genelec gear in a studio setting (my last band's album was mixed on Genelec monitors by a great engineer and it sounds fantastic), I can't imagine it being anything but excellent in the home as well.

jschulze

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan Schulze
I've looked briefly into the infinite baffle and understand the concept, but didn't really understand the benefits. This setup is going to be like 95% HT and 5% music. So I'm looking for it to sound good, but impact is kinda the priority. Hence the huge subwoofers. Would infinite baffle work well for this?

I'm definately not against the idea if I think I could make it work. There's no other designer here but myself. I've done quite a bit of work with studios, car audio, and PA systems, but this home theater stuff is new to me. I've only been seriously looking into it for a few weeks now, so I'm open to any suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks