What's new

Are defective DVDs becoming more and more common? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
I wish the relevant and thoughtful points made in many threads about rot, overly stuffed disks, poor quality control, and a consuming public tolerant and accepting of crap of all kinds, could be summed up in one place?

I remember when DVDReview used to list known bad disks. I guess they couldn't keep up. :)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Well, it's inevitable that defective DVDs become more and more common as the format does. I doubt the actual percentage is increasing (in all likelihood, with the great forward steps in the production of the format, it's decreased), but there are now so many millions upon millions of discs out there, it's almost inevitable you'll pick up a bad one. Although, having said that, I've been collecting since mid-1998 and haven't received a single dodgy one yet.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
but there are now so many millions upon millions of discs out there, it's almost inevitable you'll pick up a bad one.
I agree that there are SO many DVD's being produced, but hopefully everyone realizes that this Mass Production is what's keeping the prices quite low.

If the studios had better quality control (which in effect would raise the price of the DVD's - like by $5-$10) would you be happy? I see SO many people complain about $20 discs that I don't see a win-win situation for the consumer and the studio.

I realize that there shouldn't be one defective DVD on the market, period, but IMO, DVD's are WAY too cheap to expect so much quality control.

p.s. I really do feel bad for those who have bad discs and wish there was an easy solution.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
If the studios had better quality control (which in effect would raise the price of the DVD's - like by $5-$10) would you be happy? I see SO many people complain about $20 discs that I don't see a win-win situation for the consumer and the studio.
I've complained about prices many times. prices being to LOW!!!!! I knew from the start this might not be a good thing. I wish I would have been wrong.

I would happily pay 30 to 50 bucks for a 20 dollar dvd...if I knew it was going to last with proper care. more than just a few years/plays anyway. I could care less what the price is for a preserved film. that was the whole point. was it not? did they not tell us right here at the bits that dvds would/could last 50 to 300 years!!!!! we have been misled by just about everyone in the biz.

I understand dvds are subject to defects...just like a toaster or a car. it happens. but this is getting to the point where very few leaders are talking about it. they are afraid. they dont want to face the storm. I understand how they feel...but as a biz owner, with a biz established in 1913...I know how to correct problems and satisfy customers. you HAVE TO TALK TO PEOPLE. address the issue...please.

Nathan McMahan

Stunt Coordinator
I have an unopened copy of the Limited Edition of Heathers.
Is there anyway to tell if it is defective before I crack it open?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Doesn't Anchor Bay usually mark the corrected versions? I know Dario Argento's "Opera" had a sticker on the back that said "Version 2.0" or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks