What's new

Are bass Shakers worth the trouble? (1 Viewer)

tknapp

Agent
Real Name
Tim Knapp
I was just wondering if anyone here has used bass shakers for their home theater and if they are worth it? I am considering using bass shakers in my theater either mounted to each chair or in the floor. I'm not sure what would be best or if it's even worth the trouble. I'm interested though.

Tim

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Even with a larger sub, they still add impact. IMO, they aren't a waste of time, but they aren't a necessity either.

mrjvelazquez

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joseph
i have the but kicker gamer and i love it, also was simple setup, and when i play gears of war, i feel the gears of war (but kicker that is).....

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I recently bought a single Aura Pro shaker & a 70W plate amp to power it from Parts Express. I have the shaker securely screwed to the wood frame of the recliner I sit in. Does it shake the chair? Well, with my SVS PB-Plus/2 turned off I can feel it. With the sub on it's hard to say which is shaking the chair more. It's very subtle. Overall I'm severely under impressed.

-Dave

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My buddy had 3 Aura Pros in his couch, and even with a 15" sub, the added rumble was still appreciated. When he stepped down to a tighter, 12" sub, they made it seem like he still had the larger sub.

tknapp

Agent
Real Name
Tim Knapp
I was looking at those shakers at parts express too. After your input I think I'll avoid the idea for now. Thanks

Sure they are worth the trouble. But you need devices suitable to your needs and setup properly. I prefer floor mounted Buttkickers. They respond to about two octaves below 20 Hz. Most of the cheaper disc type shakers are strongest at about 40-50 Hz which isn't that low. They work best when matched with capable subs. Set properly and they can work well with much music and even help out a bit with room acoustics issues. For example if a given listening position has a "hole" in the response due to cancellation...the shakers don't have that problem. It's best to have level and cutoff frequency separately adjustable from your sub(s) and near your position or via remote.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
I'm going to have to say they are very nice. I think the secret is to have at least two in each seating position. I have one under the seat and one in the middle of my back. I run 4 total and I only have a 70 watt plate amp driving all of them. I find that they add a lot and I am not pushing nearly enough to them.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A single pro isn't really enough to do a whole lot, IMO, so I would take that particular review with a grain of salt.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I've had them for a good 8 years now. All around Pros powered by an old Pioneer receiver. Best way to see if u like 'em is to experience them....like most things I suppose. I agree however a powerful sub would make them near useless such as them SVS giants. Also, the Buttkicker r better. I've experienced those as well but I find the cost drives me away more...

A look inside a Buttkicker...3-4 pounds of a strongly magnetic cylinder lives in a tube surrounded by a stationary coil which drives it up to around 3 inches or so. HTH, Stan

bassman99floyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jimmy
I first learned about bass shakers (BS) when I visited Disney Worlds 'Room of the Future' exhibit. I was sitting in the chair, and I felt intense bass, yet the volume wasn't that loud, back in 2000. When I searched for them on the net, they cost $70 a pair. I waited until 2004, when I found them for $25 a pair. Very well worth it.

I have a 5 piece sectional sofa, so I mounted one BS to the wood of each part. The other sofa is suede leather. I couldn't drill into it, so I stuck one BS between the bottom cushions, and you can feel it thru the whole couch, even the arm rests feel it.

I have a B&W Nautilus 7.1 set up. The sub is amazing, but the BS makes the system that much more impressive. I would recommend BS's into any home theater. When you play a video game, if you get shot, you feel it in the chair. If Godzilla walks buy, you feel his footsteps. Go for it...

Thanks Jack...hey I remember you from years gone by....haven't been on the forums much.

At some point I am going to modify those BKs. They need more progressive endpoints. This is not hard to do, it's the same concept used in car suspension systems. In that way, their ultimate excursion will be more fully useable without the sudden bang. Note that that only generally happens with super strong, super low bass such as the "Irene" scene in "Blackhawk Down"

HT-EXT

Agent
Real Name
Joe Eaton
Bass shakers are a must when it comes to HT. I would definitely tell you to try it. I have try everything from Auras, Aura Pros, Clarks, and Buttkicker. You will needed four of the standard Auras in one recliner. You could get by with two or three Aura Pros per recliner. The best bang for the buck is the Buttkicker. It only takes one to rattle your teeth out and you can be pick up for around $150. Don't let the big power numbers scare you off it takes about 100 to 250 watts to make it get down to business. I use to watch movies but now I enjoy a spectacular film. If you need anymore info please let me know.

HT-EXT

Real Name
Gustavo Menendez
I have been using "Bass Shakers" for a long time. I had mine installed under the sofa, the viewing seating. The device I am using is from Clark Synthesis, the model number is: TST429 Platinum.

It gives a tremendous feeling when you play DVD's with good bass (sub-sonics) like Batman Begins HD-DVD. Notwithstanding with the use of Velodyne 15-inch subwoofer HGS-15X.

Now that I have installed 3-Theater chairs (Recliners) I have built a riser and installed the transducer in the center. The movie experience is even better for all 3-chairs AND the floor "move."

I would not know how to view a movie without it! Try "Saving Private Ryan." Do you mean concussion!

Disney uses the same technology on some of its rides at Epcot and DOD for F16 and Abrams M1A1 Tank simulations.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I added a Buttkicker with matching amp to my 15" Adire Tumult based sub and it's always an awesome experience. Never tried any of the smaller shakers but I can't recommend the Buttkicker enough. It rocks!

I agree with HT-EXT about the power numbers on this thing I have the amp up about a 1/4th of the way up and it shakes the hell out of my couch.

dickTH

Grip
I put 2 Aura pros with a 120watt sub amp ($90 on sale at the time) from parts express, under a couch and 2 on a loveseat. I took the material off the bottom and glued & screwed in oak boards under each seating position to transfer the movement more consistantly.
I have a pb12 +2 sub, and I can tell you it still makes movies more impressive. I turn them up on action/adventure movies, and down for drama/comedies. I keep the crossover set close to 40hz-50hz so it doesn't shake with every little bit of minor bass.
I think it is one of the best and most fun investments I've made on my HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks