What's new

Are Acoustic Research brand cables good enough for a $600 HT setup? (1 Viewer)

kurt_fire

Stunt Coordinator
I have the onkyo 650 surround sound system...and i was wondering if an acoustic research brand coax cable would be good enough to connect my dvd player with. or should i upgrade to monster??

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Any cheap coax will do. If you ask me AR cable is serious overkill. I use $7 coax cables from my local hardware store for my system and I'm running separates!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I've always found AR and Monster to be on the same line, in terms of quality and performance. Radioshack being a little bit lower, and companies like Bettercables and DIY builders like BlueJeans and Wicked being a little bit higher.

I think any one would be suitable for a low to mid level HT.

-Vince

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
For the coaxial-digital connection, any good video cable will do. These are digital signals and are much less sensitive to the cable than say analog signals. And the people who wrote the interface specification (called SPDIF) had a 75 ohm video cable in mind.

Following the 10% rule, you should only spend a total of $60 on all your cables and interconnects. Use this as a guideline to make sure you dont over-buy.

Good oxygen-free 12 ga speaker wire like the Sound King brand from www.partsexpress.com could put you a bit over if you have really-long runs to the rear speakers, but the bang-for-buck factor cant be beat.

And try to use SVideo at least for the video connection between the DVD player and the TV. It's a big step up from Composite (single RCA cable).

Hope this helps.

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
The acoustic research cable is good enough for your set up, these cables are made well, you won't hear the difference if you buy Monster.

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
In fact, I don't care if you've spent $6000 or $60000 on your system: AR cables will be just fine and you wouldn't be able to hear a single difference if you buy the silly expensive mega-mega buck cables.

Just avoid pack-ins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks