What's new

April 1 Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451 (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I don't have one & may not ever have one because of the cost.
Jeff,

5-10 years from now 16x9 TVs will be as normal (and cheap) as what your average 4x3 set is today. Even if you don't get a 16x9 set...most 4x3 sets 5 years out will probably sport a 16x9 sqeeze...makes a CLEAR difference in PQ. :)

Do you plan on owning your current set forever?

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
5-10 years from now 16x9 TVs will be as normal (and cheap) as what your average 4x3 set is today
16x9 sets are already pretty cheap in Europe and are now a pretty common sight in people's homes. Prices here in Ireland start at about $350 for a small set ( 28" ) and rise depending on how big a screen you want. I've got a 32" myself, which cost just under $500 last year.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Really interesting to see that Julie Christie is doing a commentary. She has rarely talked about her past films. I wasn't sure whether to get this but with so many extras I definitely will.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
oscar merkx says:

Even more feature-packed is Fahrenheit 451. Presented in 1.85:1 and English mono, extras include an audio commentary by Julie Christie, the featurettes "The Novel: A Discussion with Author Ray Bradbury," "The Making of Fahrenheit 451" and "The Music of Fahrenheit 451," the original title sequence, a poster gallery, and the trailer. Retail is a mere $14.95 each.

Does anybody know if 'the original title sequence' refers to the original UK version which has a woman reading the credits?

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Does anybody know if 'the original title sequence' refers to the original UK version which has a woman reading the credits?
I never saw the Image DVD but every time I've seen the movie here in the U.S. (Bravo airs it occasionally and TCM has shown it a couple of times as well) it has the opening credits read out loud. So presumably it's not.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
So has anyone yet received this disk?

I've been looking for scans of the back cover at various e-tailers, and none seem to have one posted yet.

None of the e-tailers seem to have the promised special feature set listed either.

My pre-ordered copy is part of an Amazon Super Saver order that includes the Antoine Doinel set, so I probably won't see my own copy for another month, but I'm a little concerned that I haven't seen any reviews or comments on this release.

I think of this movie as an even greater Hitchcock homage than either The Soft Skin or The Bride Wore Black.

I'm really looking forward to a Special Edition.

Warner's Day For Night is terrific!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Come on! Surely someone's got a copy by now.... I was really hoping mine would get here early, but so far no dice. I really want to know if it's a new anamorphic transfer, or a repeat of the one on the Image disc. Anybody?

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Yes - I have it. Well, it does have all the special features we were promised, but I haven't yet had the chance to check them out.

Oh, and another thing - it's Anamorphic WS! ;)

Quick update on the specs:

Novel discussion - 11 minutes
Making of - 45 minutes
Music of - 16 minutes

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I don't have F-451, as I am not a fan of the film (although I love the novel) but judging by what I have heard; the DVD is excellent.

I'm really looking forward to Universal's future DVDs. Their new DVD of The Andromeda Strain is also superb. Silent Running was beautifully put together also. Low prices too! :emoji_thumbsup:

Any rumours on Universal's 2003 catalogue releases? :)

Gordy

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Anamorphic=good
No commentary=not so good

Could we get an additional confirmation that this is in fact anamorphic?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I watched it last night, it IS anamorphic. The menu listed a commentary by Julie Christy but I didn't listen to it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thanks, I've seen too many conflicting reports on titles to be comfortable with only one confirmation. Commentary would be a good thing.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Got mine today.... yes, it's definitely anamorphic, it definitely has the commentary track, and it's definitely a must-own. I did a direct comparison between it and the earlier Image disc and.... well, somewhat surprisingly, the anamorphic transfer isn't really that much better. It's certainly an improvement, but it's subtle (it should be noted that the non-enhanced Image transfer looks pretty damned decent). For all I know, the new transfer is simply an electronically enhanced version of the exact same transfer... I dunno. The extras are what make this disc a must-upgrade... the slightly better picture is icing.

What a great disc!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Its not a fake anamorphic transfer. There are a couple of scenes were the souce elements must have been in pretty poor shape. I think the PQ is excellent considering the age of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks