What's new

Apple TV and Streaming? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Richard, we were checking ATT at the same time and yup, I've got their top residential package.
I don't think cable is an option for me, as Comcast is not in my area and from what I've read about Cobridge, well, I wouldn't want to touch them. As for ATT, I haven't thought about my DSL in months, and that's a good thing. I'd pay an extra $10 a month for your speeds, but I don't think they're available in my area.
I notice there's a setting icon on appletv, i'll look at it to see if there are any options that might help.
I have tried some of the other functions of the appletv, such as Youtube and some of the other video services, some of which has what look like high quality video. So far the only issues I've had have been with the Previews feature.
I'm still curious to know what other users of appletv find to be their favorite feature.
On that Speedtest site, I downloaded their ipad app and tested it there also and got similar results. I'm wondering if the ipad app test includes wifi? Is it gauging the speed to the device, which would include using the wifi? Perhaps my problem is my wifi is slow? I wonder how I can test that.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The closest thing to "apps" we use are Ipads(1 and 2) and two Ipods(both current ones).
We use laptops and one Acer Revo for everything. So, we aren't affected by crappy download...as we simply buffer.
However, the very first thing I used on my new internet was Netflix for Zulu Dawn, followed up by Zulu. Both movies started immediately with no buffer. Something that had never occurred on Sprint. Every movie since, if it has buffered at all, buffered for less than a minute.
Edit:
However, I just did the Speedtest again. Last night I thought something was wrong(we had severe wind, major cloud cover and some rain) and the speed sucked.
Results today(I'd post if I can figure out how...)
Ping 60ms
3.25 download
1.56 upload
roughly 50% faster(at least) than last night. I did the test repeatedly as it "failed to start" twice. But that was during bad weather.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sam Posten said:
Yeah his is triple my 35/35 FiOS, that's pretty sharp.
Even with 35/35 I get shitty download speeds from Youtube. I have no idea why. Everything else flies.
DSL in general can be frustrating tho....
35/35, is the in MBPS download and upload? If so, that seems very fast.
SamC, you don't mention using your broadband for appletv. Wouldn't less data be downloaded for a laptop than for a big TV?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What does "size of display device" have to do with it?
Besides the Acer Revo is in a room with a 50" Hitachi and a JVC projected at roughly 110"(depending on aspect ratio)...

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Got on the phone with apple today. He looked up some specs which state 6-8 mb would be the minimum speed for 1080P. He had me change the video to 780 (is that the right number for HD lite?). It didn't help.
There's a test button under settings/network which I ran, but it doesn't reveal the results of the test. It only sends them to apple and the tech guy says he can't access them. So what good is the test?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I got to thinking that I have at least one digital copy of a movie in HD. what would happen if I played that via appletv? So I fired up Jaws in HD from my iMac and I watched it for five minutes and it played flawlessly. I then went to Previews again and tried a couple and got the same pauses.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the significant difference here is one is being downloaded from the Internet (Previews) and one is not. Both are being streamed wirelessly from my router to the appletv. This would indicate to me that the problem is my download speed and not the speed of the router or of the appletv. Am I correct?
I don't have any faster options where I live, so I guess I'm stuck with what I've got.
BTW, I can't do Amazon Prime viewing with the appletv, can I? I don't see the option.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sam Posten said:
No, but you could borrow someone's 360 or a laptop and try that?
If you're suggesting the 360 for Amazon Prime connectivity, I'm not interested in getting another device for that. Perhaps my Samsung ES7100 will do Prime or my Oppo-93 (I doubt it will).
Would you agree that playing Jaws in HD from my iMac proves that the buffering problem is not my wifi, but the speed of my broadband?

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
that would be my guess. Maybe rent a movie from itunes and see if you have the same streaming issues. Could have also been the source of the streamed material.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Johnny Angell said:
BTW, I can't do Amazon Prime viewing with the appletv, can I? I don't see the option.
Amazon and Apple are mortal enemies. Apple TV won't support Amazon streaming and Amazon won't allow video downloads to a Mac. :(

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Get the SpeedTest app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedtest.net-mobile-speed/id300704847?mt=8

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It gives you the speed of the connection from device to Speedtest server, and will be limited by whatever the bottleneck is. Assuming your wifi and cable modem are faster than your device is capable of, then speedtest gives you the devices speed. But if you've got a -n wifi device on a -g wifi, wifi could be your limit, and you're getting a test of your wireless router. And if your Internet service is

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Good news, U-verse is now available to me. I just called and I can get the Max service, which is 12 mbps. That would be twice the speed my dsl is supposed to get me now. There is a 250 gb monthly limit, after which additional fees would apply.

They want a total of $76 plus fees for the monthly service (includes phone). That's not a promotional price. A couple of months ago, when I called, the CSR offered me a promotional package of $45 for internet and phone. I think that was for the 6 mbps level but the Max is only $5 more on their website. No matter, the csr wouldn't budge and I did not order.

So I'd like to ask some questions. One, can someone give me an idea of how limiting the 250 gb ceiling is? I don't think I'll be streaming movies even daily, but when you've got the capability, maybe I'll be doing it more than I expect.

I have to use their router and there's a $100 equipment fee with a $100 MIR. Anyone have any experience with ATT's router? There's no option, gotta be there router.

Is it worth it to upgrade to the Max Plus which 18 mbps and $5 more. Will I see a difference between the Max and Max Plus when surfing the web or streaming movies?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was just looking at Virizon's Home Fusion Broadband, which is cellular. It would cost $60 for 10gb and speed averages from 5-12 mbps.

I googled my question trying to figure out what the 250gb limit really means. According to a netflix page (link below) 1 hour in HD at Best Quality would consume 2.3 gb/hour. That would be a little over 108 hours or more than 50 movies that are two hours in length. Of course all your internet usage (web browsing, email, smart-phone usage) would come out of that 250gb.

I can't see us streaming a movie a day, a big month would be 20. 40 hours times 2.3 would be 92 or about 40% of the limit. I wonder how much my internet usage would add up to?

As far as I can see, my options for faster broadband are extremely limited. The local cable company sucks. Cellular is not an option, far as I can tell. That leaves me with DSL or U-Verse and DSL is what I've currently got.

BTW, here the link to the netflix page: http://technologizer.com/2011/06/23/got-bandwidth-caps-netflix-has-you-covered/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I would't pay the $5/mo at first. Give it a month or two and see if you need it.

The 250GB would go quite a ways, unless you're watching YouTube non-stop, or buying lots of movies from Apple and Amazon. Most webpages are comparatively small.

Article on data caps last year, with industry claims that average user uses 26 GB per month.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/10/01/internet-data-cap/1595683/

While you need their router to connect your house to the outside internet, you can connect your own wireless router or internal wired router, if you desire. I've done that with my Fios hardware. I use the Fios wifi router to so the internet works, but the wifi is turned off, and I use my Apple Airport for wifi, and a cheap 8-port switch for the house LAN.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks for the advice Dave.

I think I would try their router alone. Mine is a several year-old d-link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks