What's new

Apple Media Event 9/12: Announcements and Discussion (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Where Apple Is At

380 Apple Stores in 12 Countries

PC Magazine cites OS X as the best consumer operating system. Mountain Lion had 7 million upgrades. The fastest selling OS yet.

Macbooks have ranked #1 in US Market Share for the past three months. Outpacing PC industry Growth.

17 million iPads sold in the last quarter. More iPads sold than any PC manufacturer sold of their entire lineup.

84 Million iPads sold through June.

700,000 apps now available in the App Store. 250,000 specifically written for the iPad. Average user using over 100 apps.

400 million iOS devices sold through June

26 million songs in iTunes. 20 billion songs purchased in the past 9 years since launch.

Apple has sold over 350 million iPods

iPhone 5

New metal black backing

Made entirely of glass and aluminum

7.6mm 18% thinner

112 grams 20% lighter than 4S

Retina Display 326 ppi 1136x640. Same width but taller (just like the leaked photos)

You can add another row of apps (4 across)

Even Calendars show more information with added screen size.

iWork, Keynote, Pages, Numbers, Garage Band apps all upgraded to take advantage of new display. Older applications will run in "letterboxed" mode

44% better color saturation, full SRGB rendering. Less glare in sunlight.

Touch sensors are integrated into the display itself for more accuracy.

Ultrafast Wireless:GPRS, EDGE, EV-DO, HSPA, HSPA+, DC-HDSPA and LTE

SIngle chip for voice and data, and a single radio chip. Dynamic antenna can automatically switch connections as the 4S did.

802.11a/b/g/n. Dual channel up to 150Mbps

New A6 chip 2x faster CPU and 2x graphics compared to the A5

Battery Live: 8 hours 3G or LTE talk time or browsing. 10 hours on WiFi browsing.

8 megapixel camera, 3624x2448, Backside Illumination, Hybrid IR filter, Dynamic Low Light, Precision Lens Alignment, Clear Sapphire Crystal Lens. 5-element Lens like the 4s but thinner.

New image processor in the A6 for better noise reduction and color correction. Better Low Light Performance. 40% faster in capturing photos.

Panoramic Photo Picture Taking. Just swing phone to take panoramic photos.

FaceTime HD Camera: 720p video. Backside Illumination, Face Detection, FaceTime over cellular.

Three microphones: bottom, front and back for voice recognition and noise canceling.

iPhone 5 features "wideband audio" which is a wider spectrum for audio.

New dock connector called "lightning" which features an all-digital 8-signal design, adaptive interface, improved durability. It is reversible and 80% smaller.

iOS6

Available in Black or White Front

White Version has raw aluminum back. Black has anodized backing.

* No NFC announced

$199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, $399 for 64GB

iPhone 4s is now free on contract and priced at $99

Preorders begin Friday the 14th. Shipping begins September 21st.

iOS arrives on iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, 3GS, new iPad, iPad 2 and iPad Touch on September 19th

iPods and iTunes

iTunes given completely redesigned interface with improved performance, previewing while browsing, improved search results and sharing on Facebook and Twitter on September 19th.

New app store design for iOS devices.

iCloud integration for iTunes.

iPod Nano reinvented. 7th Generation. 5.4mm (38% thinner), 2.5 inch display. Big Buttons. 7 colors: Aluminum, Black, Purple, Green, Blue, Yellow, Red. FM tuner with DVR functionality. Bluetooth with "lightning" connector. 30 hours of music playback.

iPod Touch: 5th Generation. 6.1mm thin. 88 grams. Brushed aluminum back. 4-inch Retina Display. Speaker on bottom. "Lightning" connector and headphone jack. A5 processor. 40 hours music playback, 8 hours video. 5-pixel iSight Camera with Sapphire crystal lens cover. Has panorama photo taking-feature like the iPhone 5. 720p FaceTime HD Camera. Backside illumination. Face Detection. Bluetooth 4, 802.11 a/b/g/n. Airplay mirroring. Siri will be supported on the iPod Touch. Five Colors: raw aluminum, black, blue, yellow and red.

2GB Shuffle $49

iPod Nano 16GB $149

iPod Touch 32GB $299 64GB $399

Speakers

EarPods: New Earbuds that have been 3 years in design. Features a directed speaker port that points forward into the ear canal. Maximizes airflow for sound quality. Included with new iPod Touch, Nano and iPhone 5.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Good Morning/Afternoon Everyone!

Welcome to our live coverage of Apple's iPhone Announcement.

There are some great sites to watch the event live. I am keeping
an eye on Engadget and The Verge.

The post above this one will list all the announcements as they
happen so I can keep a running total of all the new stuff in one
place. Of course, what follows here will be reactions from the
membership which I look forward to reading.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hi everyone. I've got the TWiT live puppet show air-playing to my Apple TV on the big screen. Also watching Engadget live blog.

Here's hoping for some kind of surprise.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I guess I should finally put the lion thing on my new Air.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks