What's new

Apple Maps: Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
11 months later and my whole development is still a big forest on Google Maps. The plural of anecdotes is not data.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Aldino+Stepney+Road,+Aberdeen,+MD&hl=en&ll=39.535292,-76.196634&spn=0.006586,0.013154&sll=38.804821,-77.236966&sspn=3.407262,6.734619&oq=aldino&hnear=Aldino+Stepney+Rd,+Aberdeen,+Maryland+21001&t=m&z=17

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
11 months later and my whole development is still a big forest on Google Maps
Unless Apple Maps gets it right (and gets right a lot of other things that Google Maps gets wrong), that's a rather irrelevant counterpoint. How many YEARS have the hospitals that the woman talked about been around?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sam Posten said:
Call it small sample size -- and take it w/in proper context as usual -- but it is data.
If that is not data, then you will never collect enough data to amount to anything meaningful.
_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
the issue is what is on Google that isn't in Apple maps (or vice versa).
That's what we've found: Apple is missing data. It's not anecdotes, it's a few bits of data. You can check for yourself if you want. What we've not seen yet is the opposite scenario.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That must be so hard to deal with....
http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/14/snls-sketch-pits-iphone-5-factory-workers-problems-against-the-tech-critics/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
RobertR said:
Unless Apple Maps gets it right (and gets right a lot of other things that Google Maps gets wrong), that's a rather irrelevant counterpoint. How many YEARS have the hospitals that the woman talked about been around?
Those aren't hospitals. They are private 24/7 response offices. Not sure what it is like across the country but in Middletown NJ where I lived they sprang up and went out of business often. You ask a good question tho, how long were those spots in operation and did the search terms used eliminate them because they aren't what was searched for.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/324071/steve-jobs-must-be-rolling-over-in-his-grave/60#post_3988209
They had 15 years to get it right on the desktop. They never did. I don't think it is possible to, I think that the level of flexibility they are committed to prevents a 'tastemaker' or CE-NO from coming into the ecosystem and tossing out all the cruft that makes it too hard to get a consistent experience. The closest you can hope for is a fork like Fire coming along that does so. Fire and Vita have their own UI challenges and deficiencies now tho, so, that that for what it's worth.

Yeah, I think this is one of the things people don't address. You're right. In 12 years, OSX, despite all of it's goodies never gained any real traction as a percentage of the desktop marketplace. In 12 years, they never got more then 8% of the desktop marketspace.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57505093-75/windows-7-overtakes-xp-as-mac-os-x-passes-vista/

That's so counter to where they thought it was going, but it just never worked out. Sometimes, whether your idea is good or bad, it just doesn't gain public acceptance.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Very funny, Matt. For those that don't get the joke, obviously I am talking about Linux making a desktop UI that real people can understand and Matt is saying that even with that you can't beat the windows juggernaut.
We'll see. I think 8 is going to be a gigantic clusterf. Maybe not enough to push OSX higher but to more people using mobile devices that are made by anyone but MS.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hehheh... I'm definitely avoiding Win 8 as much as possible -- and it's doubtful my job would need me to have it running at home in the next few years, if ever. I'll probably finally need to buy a new desktop for the home before I get stuck w/ Win 8 -- although I'm not exactly loving Win 7 either whenever I use my daughter's laptop...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/324071/steve-jobs-must-be-rolling-over-in-his-grave/60#post_3988555
That must be so hard to deal with....
http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/14/snls-sketch-pits-iphone-5-factory-workers-problems-against-the-tech-critics/

I know. Who needs any of this stuff anyway (and to bother revisiting discussions like this no less)? Just chuck (or "boot") it all...

... and send the $ saved to help people who could really use it for basic necessities instead...

http://www.charitywater.org/

_Man_

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/324071/steve-jobs-must-be-rolling-over-in-his-grave/90#post_3990036

Seems unlikely. Someone that can't tell the difference between a bar, hospital or church before walking in would probably be an Android user.

Rimshot

-Keith

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Keith Plucker said:
Seems unlikely. Someone that can't tell the difference between a bar, hospital or church before walking in would probably be an Android user. :)
Rimshot
-Keith
But since Apple guided you there, it's obviously where you need to be. :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Tim Cook, sugar water salesman:
www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2012/10/27/how-the-ipad-mini-is-defining-tim-cooks-apple/

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hanson said:
Tom Cook, sugar water salesman:
www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2012/10/27/how-the-ipad-mini-is-defining-tim-cooks-apple/
Who is Tom Cook?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hanson said:
It's fixed, but you really couldn't figure it out?
Of course I could figure it out. The question is, why couldn't you?

Users who are viewing this thread